rear arm bearing help needed

BX Tech talk
pikey

rear arm bearing help needed

Post by pikey »

replacing the goosed rear arm bearings but i have a problem, the pin that secures the suspension to the rear arm has corroded away leaving a couple of mm sticking out. no matter how much penetrating oil, scraping away of rust around the remains of the pin, etc i cant get any movement of the pin.
it looks like the hole for the pin goes right through the arm so can i drift the pin out from this side using the largest hammer sanctioned by the doc?

cheers
pikey
pikey

Post by pikey »

application of logical thinking (beer must be wearing off) try the pin on the other side
that pin moves easily and the hole does go all the way through... so much hammering later using variuos improvised punches and the pin hasnt moved a mm
any suggestions gratefully recieved
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

tis a problem, in the past I've used a masonry or hilti nail to punch it through, but, then you find it's busted the back of the cup that it passes through. :evil:
They think it's all over, it is now!
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

You need a punch absolutely no bigger than 3mm dia.
Wrong - you need a bunch of 3mm punches :roll:

True side of Ken's story may well that the rusty pin already has busted the cup, because of trust from the ferro oxide build up ...
Proof : there is no evidence of a "fresh" steel breaking up seen ...

Remedy : drill it up to take a 3.5mm pin. This wil still keep the cup located. All the pin needs to do is to keep the rod fixed towards the arm.
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak