What are droplinks?

BX Tech talk
B-Hive
BXpert

What are droplinks?

Post by B-Hive »

Hello all

Australia calling

It has been suggested that my front end is noisy becuase of the drop links in my MK1. What are they..? Are they the end sections of the anti roll bar that attach to the rest of the suspension?
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

They're links, that drop. Obviously.

(Actually, you're spot on. They are indeed the links between the anti-roll bar and the front wishbones. Dead easy to change.)
this might be a signature
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Thanks..I'll spanner up tomorrow and have a look at them.. :idea: but I'm now actually thinking the knocks are coming from both the tie rod/steering ball joints as they make a definite knocking noise when you twist them forward and back.
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

In the light of my experiences this year, I'd get a friend around to waggle the wheel, then check all the front suspension components for noise very methodically before changing ANYTHING.

The noise I'd convinced myself was a ball-joint turned out to be the lower-arm bushes (and boy, did they produce some problems due to corrosion).

Balljoints are basic but seem such a bugger to change I'd leave them alone unless you're absolutely certain. An ex-Citroen mechanic advised me it's an off-car, scaffold-pole job - even with the appropriate tool (Peugeot 405 bushes are identical).

If there is a problem with play on the lower arm, remember that early mark 1 had roller bearings and a 14mm spindle rather than the Metal-rubber bushes and 16mm spindle on later cars.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

Before changing either the tie rods or drop links, go down to your local Supercheap or Repco and get a needle fitting for your grease gun (it is basically a hollow needle with a grease nipple on the end that plugs into your grease gun hose). Poke that through the rubber cap on the drop link/tie rod end joints and give them some grease. Then try to move the tie rod ends (you won't likely be able to move the drop links as they are under tension) and see it that helps. You can also take the drop links off and do the same and that way you can work the joints on them easily - they only take a few minutes to remove.
Balljoints aren't that bad to replace - we don't have the rust problem here that cars in the UK do - once you get the tabs straightened out, a good hammer and punch will loosen them and you shouldn't need to remove the hub. Make sure to stake the new ones back in or they'll unscrew on you and your front wheels will go walkabout at the most inopportune moment....
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter