making good progress

Anything about BXs
B-Hive
BXpert

making good progress

Post by B-Hive »

Hello all

More of a journal type entry than anything.. The Mk 1 (Margot) is progressing nicely after only a few weekends of lovin'. The main detracting issue of noisy exhaust manifold has been quickly sorted by detaching the manifold and installing the gasket the correct way around...sweet!!!
The Dash has been revitalised after enduring 22 Australian summers. Once badly cracked and not supported at one end it has now been reinforced and remounted ..quite easy all I did was to find the right glues and fashion a reinforement plate on either end of the dash where it is secured. Next weekend I'll repaint the seared roof paint.. Yes the Austalian summers have been a little harsh on Margot, but to make you all insanely jealous just thought I'd rub it in that this 85 model does not have any rust whatsoever..and she is straighter than the pope.

A quick wiring diagram download (thanks to info from this site), proved all my air cond electrics were perfect, the compressor merely not kicking in because the system is not gassed and the receiver dryer switch disables the compressor if it is not charged.

If too cold to paint next weekend,, I think i'll pull down the high pressure pump as it is noisy both in load and off load, and ruins what is otherwise a very sweet running engine. Any hints on this process would be greatfully received ..

Bye for now..
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
85 BX TRS mk1 auto... SOLD
90 BX TRi..parts....cubed
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

Just out of interest, where abouts are you located and your name? Your profile doesn't say. I'm always willing to provide help if you're local (but I doubt it).

Michael
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

G'day! Another Aussie along with a great handle too. Post up some pictures please of your Margot.
..and she is straighter than the pope.

mate, The Pope Smokes Dope! :shock:
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

m_2975 wrote:Just out of interest, where abouts are you located and your name? Your profile doesn't say. I'm always willing to provide help if you're local (but I doubt it).

Michael
Hey Michael.. Not sure what happened to my last post replying to you, but never mind..my name is Ashley and, I actually live in Canberra. Nice dry climate for cars.. :lol:

Great to have a couple of fellow Australians here for mutual support. I was wondering if you could tell me of the best/cheapest sources for parts (either new or used) for Margot. Paris motors seem to be cheap but a bit hit and miss. I will be needing a couple of replacement tie rods/steering ball joints as mine are rattly. as well as a high pressure pump again being rattly. What would you recommended to be my best options.? Any advice greatly appreciated as we are seriously under serviced here in Canberra for Citroens.

Bye for now

Ashley
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

by the way some photos on the way soon
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone
m_2975
BXpert
My Cars: 1989 BX 19TRI Estate
1993 BX GTI
1997 Xantia CT Turbo

Post by m_2975 »

PM Sent Ashley.
My Cars:
'93 BX 19GTi Sedan 5M
'89 BX 19TRI Estate 5M
'89 AX GT(With EFI) 2door 5M
In the Family:
'74 SM IE (Fully Restored) 5M
'90 BX 19TRI122 Sedan 4A
'02 Xantia Exclusive Sedan 4AA
'06 C5 2.2HDi Estate 6A
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Ashley,

FYI, Cheapest prices for parts, by far Caravelle Imports in Melbourne.
Only drawback is that he is predominantly a Peugeot parts man so tends to refer everything as it relates to Pugs, but having said all that, I've never had a problem with him. Great to deal with and highly efficient.
The guys name is Ken.

Auto France in Artamon in Sydney is possibly more convenient and closer to you.
Yong Wong is a Cit parts man of about 30+ years experience and knows Cits inside out. Where he comes in handy is when you order bits, he will often save you the drama of not getting a vital part you either forgot or didn't realise you might need.
I recently ordered a bearing for the 2 piece driveshaft on a BX. "What about the sleeve" says Yong....that's the one you have to destroy to take off, so as it was a weekend job, it meant I ordered Thursday, I had the parts in central coastal Queensland on Friday and had the job done Saturday. Had he not mentioned the sleeve it would have been Tuesday before I got the car back on the road.
Not the cheapest, but better than dealers and usually has the parts in stock.

Used parts, go Martin Bray Snake Gully Road in Clarendon in South Australia.
Martin is as straight as a gun barrel; couldn't speak highly enough of his character. He is also possibly the largest Citroen used parts stockist in the Country.
He is known by all the auctions and contacted by them whenever a Cit comes in. I've never seen his set up, but I'm told he uses any driveable car on trade plates with an assessment sheet on the front seat. Any problems are marked on the sheet and that component binned when the car is wrecked.
Upon dismantling, parts are cleaned and put is hermetically sealed bags, logged into his filing system and put on shelves in a lined air conditioned warehouse which is apparently finished off inside like a house with lining etc.
Prices may be a little high, but quality is always good and if you buy a few things, he'll give you a "deal" on the lot. Everything is guaranteed to be as described. He can also do new parts at competitive prices.

You'll find their contact details in here once you put the details in. Martin is under "Residential" that's all:

http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp/index.jsp

Hope that's some help.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
B-Hive
BXpert

Post by B-Hive »

Thanks Alan thats a great help..

:D
Current
85 BX GT Mk1..
86 BX TRS Mk1
87 BX TRi

Gone