Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Auto Gearbox Fluid Change

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've done a search on this subject and i've found shed loads of info about Dexron 2 and 3 etc but nothing on the actual procedure for changing the fluid.

When changing manual gearbox fluid i drop the oil from the sump plug and do the plug back up. Then I open the fill level plug on the side of the box and pour oil in until it comes out of the fill level plug. Then i do everything up and job done.

When reading about the autobox i keep seeing things like remove the sump and clean the filters and have the engine running whilst filling with oil. Anybody know what the actual procedure is? I'm frightened of shafting the box by messing this up.
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Yep,

There's a couple of methods, but basically, you have 2 drain plugs to choose from, one from the actual gearbox, the other from the final drive.
Both take a 5 mm allen headed socket IIRC. You can remove either or both.
Drain preferrably when the car has been warmed up after a run. This tends to rid it of floaties in the system.
When drained, it's suggested a measure be made of the amount of fluid coming out. I usually do this by using an old 5 litre container that oil usually comes in with a level gauge and markings up the side; that's near enough.
Normally, around 2.5 litres comes out if only the box is drained, so replace that amount with fresh ATF.
Refilling is done via the gearbox dip stick tube. I use a 1 litre bottle with a spout and pour it straight in.
Once you've replaced the 2.5 litres (or whatever it may be) take the car for another run and whilst the engine is still hot and running and immediately you stop, check the level on the dipstick. It should be somewhere between the two "knobs" on the dipstick.
If the level is too low, it drives like a slipping clutch and too high usually shows as jolting gearchanges.

Hope that helps.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Thanks Alan.
Over and out from me