TIMS BX BLOG

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Re: TIMS BX BLOG

Post by Tim Leech »

Cheers Mike

I have no space as such to put the caravan on, except directly outside the front of the house which will stop any light coming in the front window and will look a bit of an eye sore and be a pig to get off again so something small I can store to the side of the garage would be nice so I can get in and out of it withou needing to shuffle everything!

I had thought the TZI auto would be a ideal towcar as its punchy and has new rear arms and spheres, but late 80's caravans are cheap....
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Personally I thought it was a very good venue. Some people always need to have something to moan about. :?

Being self contained, the coffee/tea/food facilities or lack thereof weren't an issue and the toilet/shower block wasn't really that far away. Anyways exercise is good for the body and mind.

Brilliant weekend all in all. :)

It would be nice to have a rally a bit closer to home, but I understand that the majority of CCC members/enthusiasts live in the SE/Midlands, so a 'Northern' venue would be met with the throwing of rotten tomatoes!! :D
Mark Smith

Is it just me or is everything shit?

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.
2000 XM VSX 2.1 td Auto. Rouge Magenta.
TGD saloon many years ago.

1990 Swift 'Corniche' 12/2 aka BXClub HQ.
Honda Firestorm. Gone, but not forgotten.
2015 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I know exactly what you mean Mark - as well as the Veteran-Cycle Club, I'm involved with a couple of the member clubs of the National Association of Veteran-Cycle Clubs, most of which seem to be based around East Midlands/Anglia area, plus Solent, York and the Northern Counties (the last of which I'm the South west representative for!) When it was Northern Counties turn to put on the National Rally, they had a poor turnout because many thought Southport was too far to travel!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well we made it the 80 miles home and Margo never missed a beat, I have to adapt my driving style as the brakes are useless and it doesnt do speedbumps! the pictures on eBay were rather flattering and its had a poor repaint in 2011 and will need another to make me happy (all in good time)

On the plus side the engine zings (but needs the tappets setting) along at 60 easily and its had new floors, sills, wings etc so wont need any welding! The interiors lovely, everything works (inc the hidden 4 speaker CD player) and the exhaust parps like it should!

Pics are on facebook, I dont have access to photobucket at work so all in good time.
Last edited by Tim Leech on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

You can just right click on the Facebook pictures, select 'copy image location' and put them up here!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Cant get on facebook whilst i am at work.
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Looks nice, but there's a couple of things I'd do immediately - ditch the AA & RAC badges, which look too modern to me, and unless you're going to go for the rally look, lose the headlamp grills. Other than that, it looks a great little car.

With the brakes, it used to be a common upgrade to fit Marina disks on the front (which I believe is a nut & bolt job), but with the supply of Marinas fast disappearing you may have to hunt for the parts these days.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Badges and grilles are already off!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

If you don't want the AA/RAC badges Tim. I know a man who does ( me ). :-)
Mark Smith

1989 BX GTi 16 valve. Blanc Alpine. Completed the Citroen Classic Challenge Ecosse and 1337 miles without a hitch.

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

mds141 wrote:If you don't want the AA/RAC badges Tim. I know a man who does ( me ). :-)

Then they are yours mate
mds141
Over 2k

Post by mds141 »

Cheers Tim.:-)
Mark Smith

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Margo the morris is slowly getting fettled, took it round last night to my dear Uncle, who although is pushing 70 was scrabbling underneath and setting tappets and idle screws like a man possesed, plugs,oil and filter done and work, brakes adjusted but still VERY spongey so will need to bleed them (remember that!).

Off to silvestone classic tomorrow complete with new picnic hamper and matching travel rug and my "best of the 60's" CD! We shall be avoiding motoways and taking the A roads where 50mph is a bit more suited.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

You may want to invest in a locking petrol cap as they didn't fit anti-syphon coils either, the price of petrol being what it is today. :wink:
Tim Leech wrote:brakes adjusted but still VERY spongey so will need to bleed them (remember that!).
I had the earlier 1000 with the trafficators in that colour (Clipper Blue) which went well. Well it did after an engine refurb sorting out the holes in 3 of the exhaust valves, giving it a rebore and a reground crankshaft at the same time.

Brakes are always likely to give you palpitations if you need to stop fast and the angle of operation does not help here. Many brake pedal tops were noticeably bent by folk needing to almost stand on them to achieve a stop in time.

Upholstery in yours looks in especially good condition, has that been replaced?

In going for one of these I would have thought you would have gone for the limited edition celebration model, the Morris 1,000,000. I used to see a few about years ago but I don't think those fared well for tinworm either. Never understood though why they made the Morris Million in such a shit colour so you did make a good choice on the basis of colour! :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

The interior is good, the seats are a little worn and has a repair on the drivers squab, the carpets are fairly new and responded well to a good steam clean. She is showing an indicated 47000 miles which of course could be 147000 or 247000 as theres no history with the car, it seems to have been off the road for 10 years from 2001-11 and I have some prerestoration pictures showing rotten front wings and door bottoms (replaced with new/used) and some holes in the floor and rear inner wings (repaired)

The pictures are flattering though as the paintjob is rubbish, orange peel, a run or two and some blistering.