BX 19 TGD (1992 J reg) FOR SALE on ebay

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
annylou

BX 19 TGD (1992 J reg) FOR SALE on ebay

Post by annylou »

My BX is currently for sale on ebay and apart from a few problems specified in the ad is a really fantastic car and deserves a good home with someone who will appreciate everything it still has to offer.

Problem is with the coolant and we've been told that it needs a new head gasket. I would love to be able to do this myself, but the demands of my business ( and the space we have for parking) has forced me to move to a Xantia.

Not sure how to get a link to it, but there aren't that many on there at the moment, we're in the West Midlands and the picture has got a blue garage in the background. The car is stunning black. Let me know what you think.

Please check out this absolutely great car...it's worth it.

Thanks, annylou
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Sure looks like it.
It had a head 3 months ago but the gaskets gone??
Odd....
Looks very tidy though.
Could be another fine shell for a TD inplant!
If I may be so forward, what reserve has it got?
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
annylou

Post by annylou »

Yes that's my car, isn't he nice?!

The point about TD, we had considered it but didn't know where to get one from and we were offered the Xantia at a very sensible price.

Yes, there is a reserve on it, but it's not extortionate. As you can see, the starting bid is £100 and the reserve price isn't a long way off.

Thanks so much for looking, any more questions are welcome and I''ll do my best to answer them.

Annylou
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Handily I have TD's in stock!

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep an eye on that!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
annylou

Post by annylou »

Hi all!

If you've been watching, you'll have seen my BX didn't reach the reserve price I set on ebay. I'm thinking about re-listing it, but wondered if anyone would like to make a sensible offer especially if they have a 1900 engine available.

If you are interested, please post a reply...I'll be watching! Any questions are welcome. Thank you!

Annylou
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

The ad on eBay mentioned that it's had a recent cylinder head, but you've mentioned that it now (not 3 months later) needs a new head gasket.. What happened there then?

Does the engine overheat? Do you get mayonnaise in either the oil or the water? Or maybe you have excessive pressurisation of the coolant?

There must be some reason you believe it needs a headgasket so soon after just having one.
this might be a signature
annylou

Thanks for your question!

Post by annylou »

It is to do with water getting into the pistons. This is making it slightly difficult to start in the morning but after it's fine. There is also some back pressure in the coolant level. We had considered a replacement engine but this proved too expensive after the money we have spent chasing the problem. The engine does not overheat but the stop sign and water symbol do come on after a while.

Hope this helps!
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

To be perfectly honest, and you might not like it, but.

I would not pay more than £100 for ANY n/a Diesel BX with an engine problem like this no matter how good the bodywork is.

You had a bid of £139? when it was listed, personally I think that was a very good bid. I doubt you'll do any better.

I like to take-on lost causes, to save them going in the crusher, especially when they're in good condition like yours seems to be, but be realistic. If it's not worth the money to you to put it right, why would it be to anyone else.

I'd put the car up for sale at a realistic price, buy it now or similar and give the poor thing chance to find a good home.

Sorry if you don't like it, it's only my opinion and no wish to offend, but it does look like a nice example.
They think it's all over, it is now!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Have to agree with Ken on this one i'm afraid :cry:, i'd try & re-contact the highest bidder to see if they are still interested, otherwise its only worth scrap prices.....

Or break it for spares if you have the facilities if u want to try & re-coup some of your expenditure, its a shame but thats life i guess....
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I still don't see how if the engine has just had a replacement head, the gasket can be leaking again already. Was it not done properly? Was it a duff head that was fitted? Makes me wonder what else hasn't been done correctly.

And are you sure it's water in the bores?

...And I agree with Ken. £139 for a BX with a duff engine is very good. I know I harp on about it, but I've managed to buy a Turbo-Diesel BX with Tax/MOT/Half a tank of fuel and in surprisingly tidy condition for £60. Granted, that was particularly cheap, but it makes £139 for a N/A BX with a duff engine look positively expensive.
this might be a signature
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Don't forget that this car is offered with about £100 of road tax still on it, so the eBay offer was really only about £40. Why not redeem the tax before the end of the month and sell it without tax ? The drive-in scrap value must be about £60 at the moment.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
annylou

Post by annylou »

Thanks for your comments. As it has been pointed out there is still 6 months road tax on the car, so the ebay bidder would really only have paid about £40-£50 for the car itself.

The head was pressure tested and the mechanic who completed the job is more than competent. It makes me think that the block may be warped......but who knows.

As it stands, we don't have the room or money to keep it but were hoping someone would want it, especially if they had an engine to completely replace the one it now has.

If anybody is interested , reply as soon as possible as we are now working on scrapping it off and reclaiming the tax, although it will be a shame if it goes this way.

Many thanks for your interest and comments.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Sell the car, "buy it now" but sell the tax disc separately.

You see this all the time on ebay.
They think it's all over, it is now!
annylou

Post by annylou »

Was hoping to sell it via the BX Club as selling it on ebay means another week or so of the Xantia being out on the road.

Both me and my dad would prefer the Xantia parked off road, so the BX must go. Have contacted a scrap yard and we will be taking it down soon if there's absolutely no interest in purchase from BX Club members.

With what we've been offered from the scrap yard, plus the refund of the tax disc, the ebay bid has been matched anyway. What a shame.