xantia remoe reprogramming

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
hamster

xantia remoe reprogramming

Post by hamster »

I collected my new xantia last week after my other got writen off. All is fine except the remote for central locking etc doesn't work.
When I got it the buttons wre nakered and taped over. I took it apart and cleaned it up inside and got some new buttons but it still doesn't work.
I got anther from local scrap yard but obviously that doesn't work with my car.
It's the newer type for mk2 Xantia. ie radio not infra red type.
All the instructions I've found on internet for reprogramming don't seem to work and refer to the fashing led on the fob. Mine doesn't have an led which makes me asume the instructions are for the older infra red type.

Basically how do I reprogram the remote to work with my car or restart the old one and is there anything on the car which may stop working such as some sort of reciever for the signal?
1999 XANTIA 1.8 16V ESTATE
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

sorry to bring bad news but i think that the ones with the radio remote need to be reprogramed at the dealers cant remember anyone having had any success any other way
if you have the original can you change the guts over to one with good buttons not sure if there is a chip in the plip bit or the key holder
sorry :oops: :oops:

colin
hamster

Post by hamster »

There is a chip for the immobiliser which I assume is on the hinge bit of the key as it's a lot fatter than the old type and the engine still starts if I take the circuit board out of the fob.
I put new buttons (the rubber bits) on my fob so keeping the key and tried the circuit board out of the new key inside this. The engine still starts but the remote doesn't work because it's obviously programed for the other car.
People are selling these remotes on ebay so there must be some way of reprogramming them for a different car.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Hamster and welcome :)

There is a way and the owners handbook tells how if I recall correctly.

I'll dig out my handbook first thing in the morning and post up the procedure.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
hamster

Post by hamster »

That just tells you how to 'reinitialise' it after you have changed the batteries. I will try this again but don't think it'll work with a dfferent remote if mine is nakered.
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

MK11 RF remotes can ONLY be reprogrammed with the dealer's computer - AND you need the key card that's got the 4 digit code on it. If the original remote is still working, you MIGHT be able to re-synch it to the car using the method outlined in the handbook.
I NEED a BX TD.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Looks like its a trip to the local Citroen stealer next week then.

How much can I expect them to charge me for 5 minutes of their time?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

hamster wrote:How much can I expect them to charge me for 5 minutes of their time?
Depends very much upon their mood in my experience :twisted:

It pays to get to know and establish some respect with your local dealer as I find they are very, very much more helpful when they know you a little.

They do seem to react positively to being supplied with part numbers printed directly from pr.net...
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Website info wrote:From 1 April 2007 Citroën Service replaces Citroën-pr.net.
If you are an Independent Repairer, you can register by clicking on http://service.citroen.com.
If you are a Citroën Authorised Repairer or Citroën Official Parts Distributor, you already have access to Citroën Service and do not need to register again.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
hamster

Post by hamster »

Paid 36 quid to get my second remote reprogrammed by citoen this morning. Less than I was expecting to pay. The original remote was nakered as suspected.

When I lock the car now (with the remote) the alarm siren makes a short sound for approx half a second.

Is this normal?
I thought they stopped making alarm sytems do that years ago. Not the end of the world for me but does look (sorry sound!) a bit odd and not sure the neighbours will be to impressed when I return home from work in the early hours of the morning.
Dickieg
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Dickieg »

hamster wrote:When I lock the car now (with the remote) the alarm siren makes a short sound for approx half a second.
That normally occurs when one of the doors isn't quite shut properly, I'd suspect it's one of the rear doors or the hatch to blame because the fronts would trigger all the doors to unlock.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I suspected it may be something to do with the doors being open so check they were all shut and the boot.
Where are the sensors to check if the doors are shut? The catches on the pillars that the front doors close/lock onto look like the plastic sleeve is worn and often the doors need a good slam to get them to shut properly. could this be anything to do with it?
The light on the dash isn't showing any doors open.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

check the switch on the bonnet catch, they have a tendancy to unclip from the catch making it think the bonnet is open.