exhaust leaking

post here until we fix the rest of your forum
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

exhaust leaking

Post by admiral51 »

Im having problems with my 1.9d lx 1996 (P) Xantia.
im 100% sure its the exhaust blowing as i can hear the engine being a bit raspier than usual and can smell exhaust gasses(veggie :) ) as soon as the passenger door is opened.
the location of the leakage is i think from the manifold area but im not sure exactly what i should be looking for :oops: :oops:

i know Mike T was having problems with his manifold gasket but cant remember what the outcome was something to do with a wire wool gasket i think :? :?

mine is a n/a engine as opposed to Mike Ts turbo so is there any major difference in gaskets and how awkward a job is it to do [-o< .would it be wise to take it to a "exhaust" specalist or is it likely i could do it myself without breaking something important :lol: :lol:

if it makes any difference my exhaust does not have a cat fitted

cheers
colin
MikeT
BXpert

Post by MikeT »

Hi Colin,

The gasket in question is located just under the exhaust manifold, behind the engine. It's not easy to spot from the engine bay and is best worked on from under the car. Citrojim advised it's not an easy DIY job without a lift so I took it to an exhaust fitter and got him to confirm it was indeed blowing at that gasket. Kit cost appx £15 from Citroen (do not get pattern gaskets!) and local fitting was £20, took about 30 mins.
98 Xant 1.9TD fuelled on veg
93 Granny SORN
90 VFR750 Breaking
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mike
thanks for the info looks like i will have to shell out some beer tokens then :( :(
best get a reciept as its the good ladys car and i can try to claim it back from her :lol: :lol:

colin
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Colin,

Exactly the same gasket :D Common across every Pug and Cit..

Hi Mike, good to see you back :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
admiral51
Confirmed BX'er

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Jim hope the new addition doesnt cause too many headaches :) :)
as im off to my local dealers to get the gasket im going to ask the price for a supply and fit job will post result tomorrow you never know i may be pleasantly surprised by how little they charge :lol: :lol:

colin

ps the receptionist is absolutely stunning :D :D