BX obs NOV 07

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
jrdpod
BXpert

BX obs NOV 07

Post by jrdpod »

Evening all,

Found 3 "new" BXs this month.

F373 ORT, 16RE, red - seen Kelvedon, Essex.
J498 VJH, TZD, red - Stevenage, Herts.
K932 CJB, 19TX, silver - Sandy, Beds.
All runners in good condition.

XMs:
N124 PCG, maroon estate - Colchester area.

Also saw, in Colchester;
LTW 70P, GS Pallas TC semi auto, gold.
This car lives in my neighbourhood and is driven by an older lady. It's kept in a garage, and ventures out only occasionally. I believe it may have had the same owner since new.

I'm aware that some BXers are also interested in the ZX, the BX's "little
brother".
I've checked my local ZX population during 11/07, and here are the results. Please note that as this is primarily a BX site, I'm not going into deeper details on specific ZXs.
ZXs seen Colchester: J709 SEG, J443 YVW, K508 ETW, K193 MPN, K499 OCD, K875 PLW, K91 RDX, L69 LWC, L807 GYH, L189 MPU, L490 PHJ, M790 DEG, M489 DUF, M648 PTO, M442 TMG, N663 XRP, N322 YBL, P211 RJN, R548 WVX (hatchbacks).
M532 CLH, M445 SDB, M718 UDP (estates).
Braintree: L640 LAR (hatchback).
Cambridge: R516 DAG (hatchback).
Clacton: K946 APY (hatchback).
Harwich: K923 XPP, L450 FKN (hatchbacks).
Saffron Walden: N46 AJN (estate).
Tiptree: L788 MHK (hatchback).
Total 28.

Also, have a merry Xmas !

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Re: BX obs NOV 07

Post by mnde »

jrdpod wrote:Also saw, in Colchester;
LTW 70P, GS Pallas TC semi auto, gold.
This car lives in my neighbourhood and is driven by an older lady. It's kept in a garage, and ventures out only occasionally. I believe it may have had the same owner since new.
Interesting! I've just tried a DVLA vehicle enquiry and it's not been found, although TW is indeed an Essex (Chelmsford) registration. Can you find out any more? The CCC G-Section is currently trying to revamp their GS register.

Cheers,

Mark.
jrdpod
BXpert

Re BX obs NOV 07

Post by jrdpod »

The GS I spotted does "come up" on the RAC Car Check Site.

It would have been registered around Autumn 1975, judging by the 'L' prefix on its reg letters 'LTW'.

The car lives in the Lexden, CO3 postcode area of Colchester.
I know what road, as well, but I think I'd be better PM ing you about that, if you're interested.

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Re BX obs NOV 07

Post by DavidRutherford »

jrdpod wrote:It would have been registered around Autumn 1975, judging by the 'L' prefix on its reg letters 'LTW'.
I don't believe so. The registration letter "P" indicates that it was registered between 1 August 1975 and 31 June 1976, but there is no other identification as to when in the year it was registered. The letter "L" is random.

The only other identifying characters in the registration are the letters "JO" which identify where in the UK it was registered. There's a listing somewhere on the web but I can't find it right now.
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Voila!

Mark.
jrdpod
BXpert

Re BX obs NOV 07

Post by jrdpod »

While on the subject of GSs, there's a very rough one, in a garden, in the same neighbourhood as LTW 70P, the one which we have been discussing.

The rough one is a white h/b, with the reg something like HGV 63N. It shares space to with an equally decrepit Morris Minor, and Morris traveller, and all have been there for at least 15 years.

They are now only suitable for spares.

On the topic of reg marks, I thought that the first letter of the 3 letters of the year letter suffix (and prefix) marks was known as a "multiple", and could give a clue to what month of a year a vehicle was registered.

I've found info on this in 'Buses' Magazine, and the book 'How To Trace The History of Your Car'.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I think that's a bit of a myth to be honest. I've never heard of that before now.

When there used to be a run on cars in august for the new registration mark, they didn't all come with "A" at the beginning of the three letters.

Just had a look through the 20 or so V5's I have here, and there's no correlation that I can see between the date of first registration and anything other than the year identifier. Bit of a shame, as it would be interesting to be able to identify the age of a car a bit more accurately than just the year.
this might be a signature
mnde
Meteor Man

GS now for sale

Post by mnde »

Just for interest...

I've just heard that GS LTW 70P is now for sale at Roy Tolley Citroen, Colchester.

The garage is of the opinion that it will fail the MOT on rust, but it drives very well and the interior is v g apart from a tear in the driver's seat. They want £500 for it 8)

Cheers,

Mark.
jrdpod
BXpert

BX Obs

Post by jrdpod »

That's interesting. My own BX Meteor was originally supplied from Tolleys.
I'm the 3rd keeper.

I guess with LTW 70P, that her elderly lady driver has either "hung up her driving gloves", or passed away, or maybe even got a newer car.

The last time I saw LTW 70P on the road, was last year (2007).

Unfortunately, I'm currently not in the position to make an offer for LTW 70P, so let's hope someone else does.

Regards
John Podgorski/jedpod.
John R D Podgorski
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

But you can't tell me you're not going to take the Meteor over to Tolley's to have a sneak peek? :wink:

Mark.
jrdpod
BXpert

BX Obs NOV 07

Post by jrdpod »

Well, I could take the Meteor, or walk, as Tolleys is only about a mile from where I live !

Regards
John Podgorski/jrdpod.
John R D Podgorski
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Someone handy with welding and bodywork could really make something of that. The interior especially looks lovely. So rare even a £500 doesn't seem unreasonable on the evidence of the pictures at least.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v