BX GTI ???

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
toddao
BXpat

BX GTI ???

Post by toddao »

This is currently on German Ebay. What the hell is it? It's not a GTI - no body kit and what's going on under the bonnet ? Hasn't been running for a year. The only useful thing about it, is that it's local. Anyone got any ideas

http://cgi.ebay.de/Citroen-BX-GTI-ATM-f ... dZViewItem
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Could this be an 8v GTI ? They didn't have the bodykit. My knowledge about these models is limited..
Todd

Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

This is a 'Phase 1' GTi. Well, it would be, being a 1989 model.

It doesn't appear to have it's original engine though, as unless I'm much mistaken the manifold suggests a 1993 model - (it actually looks like the Pug 205 1.9 engine - or indeed the Visa GTi). Apparently on late GTi's they were different to the usual 'four branch' type: Here's one of those engines in my old modified Visa:

• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Phil, that Visa must have gone along quite rapidly! I found this listing on French Ebay for another GTI and it's got the same fuel injection set up and weird inlet as the one above. Probably is normal, it's just that I've never seen it and the edition of my Haynes doesn't get that far. I might go and have a look at the one above but I don't really know what I'm doing and with it not running etc. I might be getting myself into a hole.. ( like any BX fan I fancy a GTI but I'm only experienced with diesels)

http://cgi.ebay.fr/BX-GTi_W0QQitemZ3202 ... dZViewItem
Todd

Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It's a series 2 GTi 8v as it has the modern dash with all clocks but as it is lacking the bottom dam under the bumper probably is a phase 1. (Injection would be Jetronic for Phase 1, Motronic for Phase 2)

Although Phil is right about our UK cars having the 4 branch inlet manifold at that age, I think yours may still be original engine as that manifold was on the latest UK BX's when Cat's were introduced. Cats I believe came earlier to continental cars so this could go hand in hand with that.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

toddao wrote:Phil, that Visa must have gone along quite rapidly!
That it did! Did 1,200km (cross country) across two days when I lived in France. The average speed (I was driving on fairly rough forest roads some of the time) was around the 105kph mark. Just about the most exhilarating drive I have had.

God, I wish I hadn't sold that Visa. :cry:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Go for it Todd, the 8v is fun to drive & is a totally different experience to the diesels & with a sensitive right foot can do 30+mpg....