195lb/ft of torque come in quite handy too...mind you if you catch it off boost fully loaded doing a hill start on a 1 in 4 hill it can be quite worrying! Fortunately peak torque is at something like 1600 rpm so I had better luck next attempt. The welding wasn't too tricky, not too many curves and as you say, lots of space to work in. Which was handy given the rain we get around here - meant I could do most of the work inside the van, in the dry. Are you tempted to try another engine? Such as a CX DTR Turbo 2 lump?DavidRutherford wrote:ooOOoo! get you with your three-figure-horsepower van!
So did I! I still think I got it for a good price, £600 and something including a caravan (which we lived in for 6 months!) and it had 12 months MOT (ha ha, for what it was worth!) and 6 months tax.Tim Leech wrote:thougt they were more rust resistant than that!
Anyway, here are a few more photos of work in progress.
I was fortunate that once I had cut back to good metal, what was left was fairly thick. Which meant that I could butt weld in a new section with very little distortion. To be honest there is a little, but flat enough (given the rest of the van!) not to require anything more that a quick grind over and a lick of paint.
There's a bit of a story with this particular panel, the dealer local to me could only (after a 6 week wait) get hold of the offside version and told me that the nearside was unobtainable. By chance I happened to pop into a VW Van Centre in Birmingham who had one on the shelf, so I bought it there and then!
I alway use galvanised sheet for repairs, hopefully keep the rust at bay for a little longer...
Feeling like I am on the home straight now! But I still had an interior to fit - the above photo was taken on the Wednesday night, and we were due to go away in it on Friday afternoon...