ADSL (Database) outage

Anything about BXs
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

ADSL (Database) outage

Post by CitroXim »

Sorry for the Outage on the database for about an hour this afternoon resulting in error messages when looking at the forum.

Pipex had a big problem at my local exchange.

Hopefully all will now be OK.

Again, my apologies.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I encountered this and really appreciate you informing us on such matters. :D It then becomes understandable and unimportant in the bigger scale of things. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

I encountered this and really appreciate you informing us on such matters. :D It then becomes understandable and unimportant in the bigger scale of things. 8)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Nice to be back! :D

I tried to log in last night and had the shock of my life! Across the middle of the screen was the message: "You have been banned from this forum. Please contact the Webmaster for more details" I was trying to think what I had done to warrant a ban and could think of nothing. I even sent a pm to Ken Newbold via Club Xm to ask if he could see anything on here about it. I don't know if it was anything to do with the outage.

Please don't frighten me again. :shock:
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

demag wrote: I tried to log in last night and had the shock of my life! Across the middle of the screen was the message: "You have been banned from this forum.
Hi Dave,

That message could only have appeared if you really were banned or, the IP address you were using was in the ban list :?

I cannot see it was anything to do with the outage. That occurred between about 14:00 and 16:30 yesterday and anyone trying to get to the forum would have seen a database error message.

It may be worth having one of the admins on here check that the range of IP addresses you are likely to use are not for some reason in the ban list. If you initially got the message and then later it was OK, in the intervening time your ISP may have renewed your IP address for one that was not banned.

Did you change locations between getting the banned message and then beconming unbanned?

It will be worth investigating this so as to not frighten you again Dave :wink:
Jim

demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Hi Jim thanks for the answer.

Now you come to mention it Blueyonder appeared to be a bit slow last night. Having lost my connection completely a few times last month I bought a backup system. It's a 3G network broadband dongle. It just plugs in a usb port and connects via a sim card. I was using this last night when I got the message.

So much for being ahead of the game. :(
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

demag wrote:It's a 3G network broadband dongle. It just plugs in a usb port and connects via a sim card. I was using this last night when I got the message.
That'll be it then Dave :D Whatever IP address range the 3G network gives you is in the IP ban list. Interrogate the thing next time you use it to find out the IP address and then let the admins know so that IP range can be unblocked.
Jim