The (not necessarily) Sad Fact

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

The (not necessarily) Sad Fact

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi everyone,

I've just lost a parking space, the garages are nearly £400 a year now and I use the valver for about 2 hours a week. The rest of the time it sits outside. OK, I've spent a fortune on it and it goes like a dream now, but I will have to consider getting rid. So if anyone's interested in what could possibly be one of the most sorted 16vs likely to become available, let me know via PM. I am flexible on price if I know it's going to a good home.

It will go on eBay but I will pull it if I get a decent offer from another source. If - as I can understand, my valuation seems high. Well, I know what issues have been addressed and there's no point in giving it away.

There's someone for whom a couple of grand is easily affordable who may well take it at the end of the week, so I might be fretting over nothing. But...

Basically, the car has had A LOT done (too much to list here) over the past two months and with about 10 months MOT and Tax to the end of July it's a practical everyday classic.

I WILL be taking it on the 20th April run to Crich. But I doubt it will be me driving it to the National this year. :cry:

Last edited by Philip Chidlow on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

It's a shame to hear that Phil, but I hope it goes to another equally good home. In fact I do know of a good home, funnily enough outside my house but given the fact that I would be struggling to get together 10% of the (IMO fair) price you'll have to count me out :(

I tell you what, go for another drive in it right now and you might change your mind...
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It is probably 'worth' £1,500 tops. In fact my guess is no-one will 'bite' and I'll have to consider my options. But to own a car, which owes me £2k and sell it after two months for a loss of maybe £750, is plain bonkers (although people who buy new cars do that -and worse - all the time)...

If I just accepted I had to keep it, I would need to garage it. If I do this, I can sell after a year knowing I've got more of my money's worth out of it I guess.

But -as always - it comes down to money. :roll: And time, of course.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Philip chidlow wrote:
But -as always - it comes down to money. :roll: And time, of course.
But, surely having expended the money and time to "sort" this, it's worth keeping it or why do it in the first place? :? After all, you did give it extended consideration in you deliberations on here before buying?

It does seem a nice car, but in terms of value I can't see how the repair bills to get to where you are now can be added to the sale value, after all they haven't "enhanced" the value of the car above your own expectations when you bought it at around the normal going rate. :?

If you want any BX in your life then it would seem, to me anyway, best to consider this a "keeper" in the same way I do my own GTi. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I agree. Good council Way2go.

If I can't sell it. I'll have to keep it - and store it in a garage. It is a lovely car. I intended to keep it, yes. But as everyone knows, things change. I would not mind keeping it either, but unless I can find a place to store it safely, it's not an easy problem to solve.

I always expected to invest in it, and I am not so naive to expect to recoup the money I've spent on it. Cut and run or throw more money into keeping it (tax, garage, etc - it doesn't actually need money spending on it anymore!) - that's the choice.

I feel stoopid, really. :?
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well I've just discussed this with the wife and all things considered I have said I'll try to find a garage to store it in and use it as a weekend / hobby car. No point in throwing away £££s I've invested. (Even though I would never have bothered if I'd known quite how much work was required...).

So - unless the possible offer to buy it off me for what it's cost me thus far materialises at the end of the week/beginning of next. I'm 'stuck' with it.

And you, my fellow members - are stuck with me.:lol:

I've had a couple of people tell me I'm stupid. Well now it appears I will have to prove it... by spending even more money on keeping the 16v!

This story will continue in my blog.
simonbx17
BXpert

i

Post by simonbx17 »

it's shame phil, if only you did hp :roll: i'd gladly take it on and cherish it :D just the thought of it on ebay and being snapped up by a pugger sends shivers down my back :x
fortunately/unfortunately bx's are keepers as their values are down like all citroens really :?
Current.
00' Fraud Mondeo 2.0 ghia x......i know couldn't resist a bargain.
99' Peugeot 306 1.4 lx. nicely spec'd.
-----------------------------------------------------------
93' xm 2.1 turbo D saloon 203.000mls has been sold to "citroenxm".
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Phil, just leave it outside mate, that what i do with all mine, if you are worried about it, just get a decent car cover to protect it from the naff weather... garages are for the rich :lol:

I do actually plan on sorting out my garage so that i can actually put a car in it this year, its full of cxxp, mostly car stuff....

Dont get rid mate, you'll only regret it, fair enough if finances were tight, but this is only about parking it somewhere isnt it? as long as its taxed & insured, it'll be fine outside...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

You pay less for your garage than I do for insurance :(

If there was a garage for rent within a mile of my house for £400/year or less I'd take it for any car, never mind something as cherished as your valver is - the saving on insurance, peace of mind and convenience would make it worthwhile.

I can't afford to live in the south. Shame all my family and friends are here, really :(
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Hhmm...
The barn I rent is £500 a month, plus leccy and water and all the rest.
Plus we are pouring ALOT of money into it to actually make it a proper building / usable workshop.

My share of the rent is over 1/5th and I tend to pay for all the leccy since I use it the most.
So it aint cheap, but it is useful.
My valver was bought as a toy, because I always wanted one, and I intended it to be a show car / weekend car, but it gets used throughout the week (or at least it did before it got murdered by a cow)..

Any old car will need work, and I dont care what ANYBODY says, there is NO such thing as a perfect BX anymore.
If the only consideration in selling in this case is storage, whats wrong with it living on the street?
If you like the car, and I gather you do, then use it everyday, D6C's dont like standing around anyway...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I'm with Way2go and Doc here. I'd garage it iand keep it if I were you, you've almost said it yourself: it's not worth a fortune currently and you know it's a good one.
I'm the same with my old 190E: I know it's 'right', I doubt I'd ever get one as good as it or the right combo of colour, trim/spec etc so if I ever sold it I'd be kicking myself forever. That also suffers from similar valuations, it wouldn't be worth selling it unless someone offered me silly money for it so may as well keep it and stay as it is as a garaged weekend/occasional toy.
Vauxhall apologist.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Had one slight spanner in the works - Tax Bill.

Might have to sell it at a 'loss' in the end. We'll have to see... :cry:

Well, I've thought about it and...

Sad fact II

If no-one bites then, OK, I'll have to consider another approach...
oilman
BXpert

Post by oilman »

PM sent.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The car's sold subject to receipt of £££s...

Sad but at the same time relieved it's going to a Citroen nut who will take it over to Brittany...

Retiring to France! Lucky valver :D
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Did the new owner like the car? Has he driven off in it yet? :?
Bit quiet on the update front Phil. :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto