Rear wash/wipe-strange problem.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Rear wash/wipe-strange problem.

Post by cavmad »

My rear wash wipe didn`t work when I got the car and I never lost much sleep about it. However on holiday in Gt Yarmouth last year curiosity got the better of me and I decided to arse about with the switch. Presto hey, it started working then failed again immediately.
Non-plussed I thought I was very clever when I replaced the switch with some parts I`d got off eBay and it worked for a fair while.
Now guess what? It`s packed up again and sometimes giving the switch a good whack gets it going again.
??????????
M

Post by M »

That would seem to point to the switch or the wiring to the switch being Kaizered.

Usuall clean the contacts of the switch, check the wiring to the connectors check continuity of the switch, check voltage at the switch, will have to look in my BOL to see if there is a relay involved which also may be playing silly buggers - then if all else fails give it a bit of a twatting with yer fist whilst yelling "work you bastard".

Usually does the trick :wink: .
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Marty wrote: then if all else fails give it a bit of a twatting with yer fist whilst yelling "work you bastard".
That usually does the job :twisted:

Seriously, I think you need to be getting your grubbies on a fresh switch as I doubt the wiring at the switch end will be a problem.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thank`s people, punching and swearing have been tried extensively so time to do the right thing and check it properly. Not normally my style though-if I can`t mend it with some good old fashioned British expletives or a large hammer or steel toe capped boot it means no-one can fix it!
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

jonkw wrote:Sorry about the problems with your Bidet!
:lol:

I suggest that you try another switch, if not Ok, please report back.
Cheers, tried another switch which worked for a couple of months then threw it`s hand in. It`s not essential I suppose but when you get something working it`s nice to keep it that way :D
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

From my memory of some previous fumblings, there's no relay in the circuit unless you have an estate with the intermittent rear wash wipe, in which case the switch too is a different one.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

DLM wrote:From my memory of some previous fumblings, there's no relay in the circuit unless you have an estate with the intermittent rear wash wipe, in which case the switch too is a different one.
Humble old hatchback my friend 8) I`ll try and strip it back about and see if I can find a break in the wiring or something. I need to replace the whole dashboard really as the new(er) seats I`ve bought don`t match the grey dash and I`ve also broken the glovebox :cry:
It`s just a job I don`t want to start incase I find I can`t get it back together again!
Have to say I`ve enjoyed tinkering with the car and doing little things to it. I got a sporty steering wheel for it from eBay and it looks quite smart. Car still impresses my son`s mates with it`s `pimp my ride` suspension!
M

Post by M »

Glovebox an easy fix if you have all the bits still.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Marty wrote:Glovebox an easy fix if you have all the bits still.
I`m not sure if I have! The hinges on the lid have broken and what should be attached to the lid is now left on the glvebox itself if you follow what I mean??
M

Post by M »

http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... t=glovebox

Scroll down and avoid the photos of the slightly scarry bloke.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thankyou, when I get 5 I`ll have a go at that. In the unlikely event (I`m too tight to bid too much!) I win the BX on eBay which I want for parts I`ll get the glovebox off that and have a go at it.
Seeing as I buy and sell cars etc for a part time living I never seem to get the chance to tinker with cars as I usually sell them when I get the chance for a profit, so keeping my BX has been great as I love messing about with things automotive.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Wash/wipe failure.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello not sure if this will help much but was led a merry dance some time back, changed switches etc. the trouble was an almost invisable spot of corrosion in the actual socket the switch plugged into. Passed enought voltage to measure but would not pass enough/any current under load. A scrape, clean and dose of vaselene cured it. Another thought is whether the motor is part siezed and drawing a heavy current and doing the contacts in the switch in. Found the motor in mine full of water.
Cheers
Geoff.
Last edited by Geoffrey Gould on Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Wash/wipe failure.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

EERRR Sorry I am not sure what is happening re-read what I had written in the reply and its different to the message I sent tried to correct it (edit ) and it would not have it.
Dont know
Cheers
Geoff.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I had a rear wiper problem once which turned out to be the whole motor assembly dropping off, probably caused by the total absence of corrosion in the plastic tailgate :) tightened it all up and it worked perfectly, check its not loose, it runs out of line and the linkage binds.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft