Not a BX but a Citroen nevertheless.

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Not a BX but a Citroen nevertheless.

Post by mike st gilles »

Shortly for sale my old Xsara 1.9D LX. 1998. leccy front windows, leccy s/roof, power steering, new rear brakes, cambelt. 5 legal tyres; various makes.166000 miles.
Good engine (Bosch pump.......runs well on Veggy) sold it to my son last year and since then he has used it until the other week on a trip up to me when he noticed that there seemed to be something wrong with it. Seems to be something to do with the rear suspension ...........tried taking it to my local Citroen stealer but they wanted over 60 quid just to look at it!
It has no Mot; Tax to end of Sept so could be got home..........however it does drive a bit loose (its the only way to describe it) had it looked at quickly by my mate who is a mech but hated Citroens and he said its the rear springs have gone,,,,,,,the rear of the car will stay in any height you set it at on the ramp...........gonna put it on the bay of E but just wondered if anyone here wanted/needed it for the engine etc.
good car in lots of other respects. Pm me if interested
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

This might be a good 'un for my sister. Does it just need rear springs? Kwik-fit jobbie, shurely?
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Stuart,
I really don't know and at the moment don't have the ability to get the car to Kwikfit for them to make an assessment................apart from this and the rear H/brake cables its not a bad car.....I just don't have the time at the moment. I might try and give them a call over the next few days to see if its a common problem................Citroen dealer didn't seem to have a clue as per posting.
Mike
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hmm,

I'm *pretty* sure that the Xsara used the same rear suspension set up as the ZX/306 which means it would suffer the same flaws:

1) Flexible rubber subframe mounts failing; causes loose (and somewhat twitchy) handling and possible knocking. Reasonably cheap and straightforward job.

or

2) Rear arm bearings. Completely different set up to the BX, proper faf (and or expensive) to fix properly. Symptoms are creaking from the rear and back wheels that lean in at the top (they shouldn't at all...). Avoid, unless you're up for a challenge...
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Re: Not a BX but a Citroen nevertheless.

Post by jonathan_dyane »

mike st gilles wrote:Shortly for sale my old Xsara 1.9D LX. 1998.
SNIP
had it looked at quickly by my mate who is a mech but hated Citroens and he said its the rear springs have gone,,,,,,,the rear of the car will stay in any height you set it at on the ramp
Somewhat confused as the Xsara suspension is not height adjustable! The Xantia suspension is of course, but being hydropneumatic had no springs. (But then the back of the Xsara doesn't have springs either; it uses torsion bars...)
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Take it to Kwik-Fit? You might as well watch the next episode of Rogue Traders, find the dodgiest garage in Britain and paint 'please rip me off, I'm completely gullible' down the side in 8 inch high flourescent letters and let them sort it.
I'd no sooner let Kwik-Fit-Up nearer my car than clean my teeth in battery acid.
Vauxhall apologist.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Cheers Cav, let that slip thro the net ............me too as per the Kwik Fit morons.
Just getting a bit concerned re the lack of options re professional advice; with regard to the varying height of ride bit.............its as though there are no springs or they've become very bound up or binding as the back of the car as I said before can be pushed up to a height and will stay there equally if pushed down it will stay there as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions I have just given all linkages a damn good soaking with WD40 and will let that sink in for a few hours and see if there is any change.
Mike
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

cavmad wrote:Take it to Kwik-Fit? You might as well watch the next episode of Rogue Traders, find the dodgiest garage in Britain and paint 'please rip me off, I'm completely gullible' down the side in 8 inch high flourescent letters and let them sort it.
I'd no sooner let Kwik-Fit-Up nearer my car than clean my teeth in battery acid.

:lol: nice to see you back on form! :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Billy, you're the man in the know in these things.....whats the scrap value of this please. Looking to get that or maybe a little more if I can. Shame as it was a sweet little car.
Mike
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Go for it Mike - don't hold back on my account. We went to look at a Xsara in really nice condition yesterday and my sister doesn't think she likes it (too big).
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

mike st gilles wrote:Billy, you're the man in the know in these things.....whats the scrap value of this please. Looking to get that or maybe a little more if I can. Shame as it was a sweet little car.
A lot depends on the amount of weigh in yards in your area and the amount of people advertising that they collect and pay for scrappers.
Realistically, and assuming you de-polluted it yourself, it would probably fetch about £140. I can't stress enough this can vary wildly for various resaons though so don't take that figure as read.
I'd have though perhaps sticking it on ebay (even though it's shite these days) with a reserve of about £140 to cover all your costs might be best.
Oh, if you depollute it yourself and take it over the bridge at a scrap metal yard then don't forget to cut the cat off it (worth up to £50 on eBay) and keep it, and replace the alloys with steels if it has alloys fitted of course.
Vauxhall apologist.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

thanks for that Billy. I will try the Ebay option first and then see what happens.
Mike
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Nobody want this for the engine or owt? I'm afraid I'm having the same probs as Marty with the paypal thingy and really can't be arsed.
Mike
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Tell you what might be worth a bash: clean, polish and shine it, give it the felt pen treatment, try and jam it into nromal height then whizz it down to your nearest motor auction and stick a reserve of about £140 plus auction fees on it. Some daft twat will buy it mate and there's no comebacks either, just a nice cheque a couple of weeks or less afterwards.
Vauxhall apologist.