BX 19GTi - needs a new home

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Gyp

BX 19GTi - needs a new home

Post by Gyp »

Time has finally come to part with my BX.

Car is one owner (me), 1987 "E" BX 19GTi. I think it's done 112k miles or thereabouts.

It's in very original condition (the interior is near mint), though the red paintwork is badly oxidised due to being sat outdoors and not polished enough (or at all) for a number of years.

In its early life, it was used with great enthusiasm, but since I had a long commute and got a cheap 70+mpg AX1.4D, the BX fell into disuse and it's now been SORNed for a few years.

Plus points-
One owner
Pretty much full history, fully synthetic oil from 1st service onwards
Interior almost like new, even has 4 head restraints. Never smoked in.
16V alloys (6J not the lookielikey 5.5J ones), front spoiler and steering wheel.
Starts first turn of the key and pumps up and down just like it should

Bad points-
Paint oxidised
SORNed too long so will need love to get through MOT (I suspect)
Electrical fault - overcharging
Small dent to drivers door
Front fogs have had it
Heater controls a bit "sticky"
And probably more that I'm not really aware of as it's not been used for so long.

My father wants it off of his drive (it's been there a while, he has a point), but it's far too good to scrap. I'd much rather it went to a keen BX enthusiast to restore it to its former glory, or it was used to breathe life into a proper restoration.

I'd like to get back most if not all of the £9,125 that I paid for it (:cry:), but am open to more realistic offers.

The car is located in North Wiltshire, PM me if you'd like to view it. Bear in mind that it will need trailering away, mainly because of the charging problem than anything mechanical.
Andy G
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Andy G »

any pictures at all?
Gyp

Post by Gyp »

I can sort out some pics but it won't be for a few days, as I'm here and it's there IYSWIM. Pity was that I was there this morning and realised that pics would have been good, but whilst I was there, my camera was here...

I'll do what I can :)
Gyp

Post by Gyp »

I've sorted some photos...

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Thegits/BX

I thought I'd get the t-cut out and try and restore my BX to its former glory before taking the photos, but it turned out that my beloved father's assertion that I need not bring T-cut or cloths as he had loads turned out to be 2 cloths and - if I'm being generous - about 1/10 of a bottle of T-cut. So I just started on a couple of panels to see how it was likely to turn out. The result was pretty good, thankfully.

Anyway, some of the pics are pre-T-cut and some are after.

Jumping in the car, it became clear that I'd put the original 8V steering wheel back on (as I never really liked the 16V 3-spoke wheel). A search of the house didn't turn it up, however what I did find in the loft were two under-seat plates that I'd had made to carry some Alpine amplifiers so that they were off the carpet.

I'd forgotten the dent in the sill which happened when the car was about 2, and there's a rust spot on the NSR door that I've included a photo of too.

I'd also forgotten the Citroen sunroof spoiler (taken off for the wash and polish so not in the photos) and headlamp protectors (which on inspection are doing a fine job of stopping the glass falling away from the lights...)

If the picassa upload has worked, there might also be a video of the engine idling and revving freely.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, let me know.
Gyp

Post by Gyp »

<bump>

Surely there's someone interested to stop it going to the big BX park in the sky.

Whilst I'm sure my BX would like to be reunited with the 3 CXs, 2 AXs and the GSA X3 that were its' family when it was born, I'm sure it would prefer to go to a good home and live a lot longer frolicking on the back roads of Britain.
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

If it was somewhere a lot nearer to me, then I may have been interested. I've always fancied a red 16valver, and I don't mind a fair bit of t-cutting! :wink:
The hassles and cost of getting the thing to Lancashire from Wiltshire really put this out of my reach.....reluctantly.

(Also the wife is NOT keen on me getting another BX while I'm still not back at work! :oops: )
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It's an 8V, and no amount of t-cutting will get that back to red full-time. But a GTi is a great car and if someone's handy with the spray paint, the bumpers at least will benefit. Good luck, you might find a home for it yet!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Gyp

Post by Gyp »

With the exception of the spoiler, the rest of the paintwork is buffing up well. The bumpers are coloured plastic rather than painted, so come up well with a bit of a wipe down with Autoglym bumper care. What I don't want to do though is spend money and time making it pretty for the crusher.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Completely understand, Gyp. 8)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

How much were you asking for it GYP? Unfortunatly it seems cars are worth more as lumps of metal than as complete cars. 2/3 years ago very cheap bxs often popped up on here/ebay on here but that stopped since the price of scrpa went up.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

This is sad... The car looks really nice, but you need to give us an idea of how much you'll take for the car.

With the niggles to fix, prep work to return it the road after being SORNed so long, and the MOT to get it through, and tax, insurance - it's sadly only worth what someone is prepared to pay to take it on.

I bought my 1.6 petrol with MOT and tax with no major issues for £100 - but it's not *quite* as desirable a spec, BX-wise.

I sincerely hope this finds a home :)

Mark.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive been lucky with BX's, the ones Ive bought even after a long lay up have been quite a easy project (except the valver), aslong as the shell is sound, we all know wehere they "go" and theres no leaks maybe it wold make a good car for someone and being a "E" plater its a ealy Mk2 Gti.
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

Its been a long time since i've been on the forum here but this one has tempted me back out into posting land.

Mainly this.......
I'd like to get back most if not all of the £9,125 that I paid for it (Crying or Very sad), but am open to more realistic offers.
Im sorry was this said tongue in cheek or what?

I mean come off it, top spec CX Turbos with leather and air in really really nice nick can be had for 4000 or so. I have personally never seen a BX advertised recently for more than 1995 and that was a really really nice 16v that went through on auto trader a few months ago.

Now BX's prices are not as stagnant as they were a few years ago but really.
My first 16v Ph1 Black with air con cost me a 1000 my second cost me 50 pence with NO mot or tax and a few niggles. Ive bought standard GTI 8v for 250 quid with a months tax and test on and that was a good car.

Im not saying the car available here isnt good but at first no pics, a fairly brief description and no hint at the price you would actually like to accept.

I think this is almost farcical saying id like to get back the 9000 paid for it, yes but that was when it was new, its now worth 150 quid weigh in if no one is prepared to take it on. Thats the cruel and simple facts of life.
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I don't think he was being serious! I think you have entirely missed the point. I would have thought any offer would be considered.

By the way, welcome back to the forum!