c15 van

BX Tech talk
c90cassette
Confirmed BX'er

c15 van

Post by c90cassette »

hi my friend has a 51 reg c15 van engine is knackered burning lots of oil capacity is 1868 cc.i never knew they were this size until i told him i had a 1769 engine but he said was different.does anyone know if they can be swapped?thanks rob.
hi i am rob in liverpool 1989 bx 17 dtr turbo
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

That sounds like the DW8 diesel engine, which looks deceptively similar to the XUD engine, but there are significant differences.
These engines are generally quite good and will reach high mileage if maintained well, although they known to snap connecting rods if pushed to hard.
If its a good cold starter then its not cylinder bore or piston ring wear, but most likely valve stem seal failure (does it smoke bad on start up).

These engines are easy to work on and it may just be a case of a cylinder head decoke, and valve stem seal replacement.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep DW8.
I hate the things.
It was a development of the XUD and not as good.
As such you can replace a DW8 with an XUD without a vast amount of effort.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Emmisions could be an issue, My mate did change one for an XUD, he said he had a shed load of wiring and connectors left over with no where to connect them to :?
The thing ran OK and pulled well but it could prove to be a problem when it comes to MOT time as the newer engine has ECU things and CATs etc.
They think it's all over, it is now!
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Nah, mate - all N/A diesels tested to the same spec - smoke opacity only - as long as it would pass before it was dropped in, it will still pass :lol: OK, granted, it might not meet the letter of the Euro III emissions spec, but the MOT man is not interested in that 8)
I NEED a BX TD.