Front n/s electric window

BX Tech talk
mat_fenwick

Re: Front n/s electric window

Post by mat_fenwick »

jonkw wrote: T1 gives 12v when switch is pressed down
T3 Gives 12v when pressed up
T2 is blanked.
So you have established that the switches are OK, the motor and mechanism is OK - therefore the problem must be in the wiring. The checks you have done with the wiring prove that the + side of things is working OK - it is quite happily switching the +12V from one wire to the other. And as the window will go up, we know that the earth is present on the other wire when the switch is in the up position. So, it must be that the motor is not being earthed when the switch is in the down position...
Sorry, after writing this I realise that I haven't actually suggested how to fix the problem - I would normally think that it is an internal break in the wiring between door and A pillar, but if that was the case I would only expect the problem to be with the passenger door switch on the driver's door. Hmmm, puzzling. I hope my ramblings have helped slightly, maybe with a fresh(er) brain in the morning I can be of more use...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i'm not convinced the fault hasn't been issolated from the switch, last time i had this problem it was suggested that the driver side switch was at fault, and i changed it and it worked again. Two unknown outputs sounds like a fault. Got a spare switch? try it. Assume fuses have been checked (seem to think only the rear windows have relays?) and the wiring hasn't been messed with in the past?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It'll be a broken wire in the drivers door loom where it passes through the rubber bellows.
Mine was doing EXACTLEY the same thing.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
AndersDK
BXpert

Post by AndersDK »

docchevron1472 wrote:It'll be a broken wire in the drivers door loom where it passes through the rubber bellows.
Either that or 2 defective switches - been there tried it ...
C U / Anders - '90red16riBreak - '91GrisDolment16meteor - Project'88red19trsBreak
dead cars : '89white 16RS - '89antrasitTRDturboEst - '90white19triBreak
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

AndersDK wrote:Either that or 2 defective switches - been there tried it ...
Now that's a situation really sent to try us! :x
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Unless I am missing something (wouldn't be the first time!) if it was a wiring problem in the driver's door bellows then it should work OK from the passenger door switch? Plus wouldn't it have to be both driver's and passenger's switches that were faulty for the problem to be as described?

That's what I am so puzzled about, as I would have thought that the passenger switch has a permanent (ignition) 12V feed and earth, so any problem with that wiring in the bellows would mean that it either worked or didn't.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

spot the person that hasn't been told about French electrics! Only thing worse is Italian electrics. The passenger side contols run through the drivers side and back again, hence the passenger side switch is not isolated from wiring faults. More over its not a simple case of switching which side of the motor the 12v is supplied too, the switch locks out the other switch due to the wiring, other wise it could go up and down at the same time. Ish.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Vanny wrote:The passenger side contols run through the drivers side and back again, hence the passenger side switch is not isolated from wiring faults.
*Groan* :roll: I should have guessed...

If you can operate the windows whilst either opening or closing the doors, or manipulating the wiring to the doors that should etablish whether it's the wiring. Would have expected it to be an intermittant fault before failure though if it is the wiring.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

AndersDK wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote:It'll be a broken wire in the drivers door loom where it passes through the rubber bellows.
Either that or 2 defective switches - been there tried it ...
Yes, I had a similar run of irritationms whilst trying to solve my window issues, 6 switches, all FUBAR.
How annoyed was I!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

the same connection, really? my god i never noticed. could cause a problem as the front switches are meant to have lights behind them so the wiring could be different, but the french are pretty simple folk so i suspect the switches will operate the same front and rear.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Yes the front switches have lights in them, but they never worked as they were never wired for it. Unlike the pug's...

I've got plenty of good switches for front and back if you need any Jon.

Vanny
Merseyside resident
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

they might not have worked on your car ;)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Vanny wrote:they might not have worked on your car ;)
Yours though has modified wiring hasn't it? I seem to remember you saying you have non-standard operation of the CL from the passenger door on a remote CL car too? :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto