Screeching BX 4X4

BX Tech talk
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Screeching BX 4X4

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Well I have been doing some shakedown runs in the BX 4X4 and come across a strange problem :? . While it is getting better after 80 miles or so the car, mainly on over-run, screeches loudly. It occurs at speed and well after the battery is charged so the usual suspects of loose HP or alternators belts seem out. So far the longest it has lasted was about 10 seconds. I have not been able to see anything because when I pull over it has stopped!

I changed ALL the belts when recomissioning the car. They all seem tight enough and not too tight.

Any thoughts?

Rob
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)
Way2go
Over 2k

Re: Screeching BX 4X4

Post by Way2go »

cxprestigeauto wrote:
I changed ALL the belts when recomissioning the car. They all seem tight enough and not too tight.

Any thoughts?

Rob
I would say the HP belt as I've had this with new belts. Incidentally you say not too tight but the HP belt needs to be bl**dy tight! :)
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Squeeel.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello, just a thought but have you checked the cam belt and associated bits,tensioners etc.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Yep what way2go said.

I collected my car having had a brand new HP belt fitted, and within days it started squealing even though it seemed quite tight. I did it up tighter and it stopped.

Cheers,

Mark.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Various people wrote:HP belt
Thirded. Also worth a mention that there seem to be varying qualities of belts. On my BX I put on a new (pattern) HP belt which squealed no matter how tight the tension, only when I replaced it with a genuine one did the problem go away. I've just had a similar problem with the van which resulted in the pattern belt snapping before I could get a genuine one...so far the proper VW seems fine and also sits better in the pulley groove than the pattern one. So profile and/or rubber profile could be an issue.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

How old are the cam belt idler pulleys and the water pump? I had various not very loud noises from the belt end of the engine which were enough to be noticeable especially with the window open - then it began to squeal continuously. I tightened the alternator belt (4 groove - should be 5) - took it for a run and after about 3 miles it started again - so had to change all belts, pulleys and pump. Now nice and quiet!
cxprestigeauto
Confirmed BX'er

Post by cxprestigeauto »

Sorry for the lack of reply but I have just got back froma few wet days in a tent in Cornwall :wink:

I suspect the water pump is original and the cambelt was changed a few years before I did it but there is no mention of the waterpump or tensioner being changed.

The belts are all pattern parts, must admit to never having had a problem with this before (and I have owned A LOT of different cars!) :?

I think I will retighten the HP pump belt and check the multi vee belt for the alternator. I am hoping that there isn't a problem with the cambelt as the adjuster was a total git to get and and adjust! I will check its tension as I do not need my new baby going bang :(

Many thanks for all the advice.

I will update shortly.

Rob
CX 25 IE Pallas auto 1985
Banham Sprint Kit Car (Frogeye Sprite)
Renault Modus 1.5 106 dci (Company Car)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

When I did my belt auxilliaries I bought a kit from

http://www.carparts-direct.co.uk . It was a Gates kit and consisted of the belt and the 2 tensioners - but NO waterpump - which I had to get from EuroCarParts.

I think ECP now do the kits (haven't checked) and GSF may do them as well.

Now who would make a kit without a waterpump in it?

My car was squealing after 3 or 4 miles and had been a touch noisy for some time. The picture was confused as someone had sold me a 4 row alternator belt which doesn't work on a TD (very short belt is not easy to tension) and tended to chirp under load. The pulleys were grubby, looked slightly burnt and had very slight slack in them, with one having a tiny whisper on turning, but nothing obviously wrong. The waterpump was slightly stiff and showed no sign of leaking.

The belt had no real damage and was newish looking - which it should be as it had only done about 10,000 miles over 2 years. When I fitted that belt the pulleys were brighter and all seemed OK if not perfect.

I've had the car since later 1999 and its done only about 46,000 miles in that time. The belt was replaced when I got it but nothing else was so I've little idea how old the pulleys and pump were - except to say that the car had done 208500 miles since 1989. Besides the belt end of the engine sounding noisy I had been hearing (slight) strange noises on acceleration for a while but nothing desperately worrying or loud. Once the thing started squeaking all the time I was concerned about siezure and stopped using it.

I had the belt cover off to see if iI could see anything wrong - and noticed that one side of the belt path on the pulleys was bright - suggesting the belt was wandering a bit which might be due to pulley wear.