Tappets? - 16v video

BX Tech talk
djoptix
BXpert

Tappets? - 16v video

Post by djoptix »

I've uploaded a video of my 16v idling. It's doing some clicking which I'm a bit suspicious of. My thought is - oil spray bar across the cams is blocked, meaning noisy tappets. Your thoughts? Is it serious?

Excuse the chicken;

click here
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

My 16v is a little bit tappety and I know Kitch said his was, the hydraulic tappets get gunged up and stick, they do an additive which apparently will help "ungum" them, I tried it and it made no difference.

Sometimes a oil change and a damn good thrash may help?
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

Maybe after the cambelt is changed...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Or you could fit a devil link pipe instead of the middle box like mine then you can heard the engine over the sounds of the exhaust :shock:
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

I forgot to bid on it :( :lol:
Rev. Dick Deluxe

Post by Rev. Dick Deluxe »

The only way to cure noisey tappets is to take them apart and clean them.
Its not a difficult job once youve got the cams out, its just boring, but the difference it will make is well worthwhile.
Blocked oil spray bar wont cause noisey tappets but it will cause your cams to wear out which can sound the same as tappets only more expensive to fix.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Would it be worthwhile, do you think, to replace the tappets once you have them out? The reason I ask is that if they have worn to any great degree, I wonder if they may not 'pump up' as well as they should, especially with warm oil.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Have you removed the valves recently by chance? Or has this just started by itself recently?

If so, then stripped and re-dressing them is the way forward. I got a how-to off the 205 GTi drivers site which I can email on to you if you want?

Mine's tapping because if you don't bolt the cam bolts back in exactly in the right sequence, some of the valves kiss each other on the way down which puts them out of shape and makes them slam, or tap, shut! Mine's been doing it for ages now after I ballsed the engine up. I overhauled the tappets, the top end felt tighter and quieter....but the single tap remained :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Rev. Dick Deluxe

Post by Rev. Dick Deluxe »

mat_fenwick wrote:Would it be worthwhile, do you think, to replace the tappets once you have them out? The reason I ask is that if they have worn to any great degree, I wonder if they may not 'pump up' as well as they should, especially with warm oil.
They shouldnt need replacing, the problem isnt wear but more a build up of carbon inside the tappet causing them to stick and blocking up the oil feed holes. They'll actually pump up better with warm oil as its thinner and can flow easier. Thats why they can be rattly when you start a cold engine but get quieter as the engine warms up.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Ah, I have the opposite problem on my VW van. Occasionally when the oil is hot they will clatter for say 30 seconds, and then settle back down again. Anyway, I won't hijack this thread - last time I asked a technical question about the van it went off at a tangent, things started getting heated and the thread ended up being locked!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad