HP Pumps.

BX Tech talk
roy.hassell
BXpert

HP Pumps.

Post by roy.hassell »

Can anyone out there help me to help another forum member concerning HP Pumps.
Firstly, I believe the HP Pump on a petrol model ( GTi 8Valve ) differs from that fitted to a 19Diesel -- is that right ??
Secondly, does that mean that they are not interchangeable under any circumstances ?
Thirdly, if I am right, what are the differences between the two ? Is it limited to the pulley wheel only and are they themselves interchangeable ?
You can see where I am going on this, he needs a pump for his Diesel and I have the one from the GTi.
Any advice and assistance would be gratefully received.
Thanks in anticipation,
Roy.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Yes - pumps are different. As you know the diesel pump sits over the gearbox and has a V pulley drive. I think your GTi has a flat multi-groove belt drive and therefore a different pulley and probably a different mount.

The pulleys are generally considered not interchangeable. Its simply a case that they can't be removed.
roy.hassell
BXpert

HP Pump

Post by roy.hassell »

Thanks for that Jeremy.
Whilst not for one minute doubting what has been said do you all share Jeremy's comments or is there a known way around this ?
Thanks,
Roy.
Rev. Dick Deluxe

Post by Rev. Dick Deluxe »

Gti's still use a v belt. All bx's do. What you have to consider though is the 16v and diesel are driven from the camshaft so the pump runs at half the speed as one driven from the crank. This is the reason for the different sized pulleys.
Diesel pumps also mount up in a totally different way to the petrols too. The only way you could do it would be to make a custom bracket and pipework and if your going to that trouble you might as well machine up some new pulleys too.
Like most things it can be done, it just probably isnt worth it.
roy.hassell
BXpert

HP Pumps

Post by roy.hassell »

OK Guys.
Thanks for your advice.
Lets close it at this point as it is obvious that it is not a practical proposal to pursue.
Cheers,
Roy.