BX Dash Tweeters

Anything about BXs
Matt H
1K Away

BX Dash Tweeters

Post by Matt H »

The final piece needed to complete the sound system in my BX. One quick question...

How big are they?

Really, I'm being lazy... I should just go out and measure the holes, but thought I'd ask here first :lol:

Matt
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

incidently, i noticed when i got my car that certainly the tweeters and perhaps the main speakers as well, although it is harder to tell are wired with some kind of phase shift so you get a good stereo image in the driver or passanger seat, but if you put your head directly in the middle of them, ie directly between the two seats, they sound out of phase. Out of phase is often described as it sounding a bit 'inside-out' or like the sound is appearing to come from around or behind your head as opposed to from directly in front. I know this as i work with sound in studios engineering and whatnot. I thought there was a problem with them when i first got the car, but realised they'd achieved something quite clever. I don't know if this has been done on other cars or not. Anyway I think its quite cool! and yet another inventive citroen solution.

It must be setup in the crossover part of the system so changing the tweeters shouldn't affect it. :D
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The difference between speakers sounding correct and out of phase is a matter of complicated electronics going to the fundamentals of the system.

In fact all that has happened is that ONE speaker only has been connected incorrectly. Get access to the back of it and change the 2 wires round.

Each circuit on a fader must be treated the same - ie front speakers, back speakers etc. If you have mains and tweeters on the same bit - they must be paired in the same way (bit more difficult to hear.

Same goes for domestic hi-fi and other twin or multiple circuits.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

yes i thought that and was going to have a look and change the wiring. But then i decided i was happy with the sound. I might try it now and see what the difference is! I was thinking along the lines of the phasing of the speakers being adjusted to as to localise the focal point of the sound. This is how some professional studio '3D' sound processors work which can make a sound appear as if its coming elsewhere in the room / sound field relative to the main stereo image.

We used to speed up the breaking in of new speakers in a service dept i worked in by wiring them out of phase and facing them towards each other about 1inch apart so the drivers would move in uninson and reinforce each others movement - one in while the other was out. probably a crazy scheme but it did work.
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

If going the original route, BX tweeters are in 2 kinds - fairly bulky dome tweeters of French manufacture (surprise, surprise)on early cars, and then dinkier piezos on the last few years. 2-Screw fitting under what looks like vent grills on the dash ends.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

the tweeter vent grills easily pop out which is very useful if you need something to wedge the end of your wet socks into whilst driving to dry them out as i did yesterday in the torrential rain.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

:shock: Was the sunroof draining into your boots then? :wink:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

:D
no, luckily, or unluckily my sunroof had been permanently sealed before i aquired the car.. the non sliding tilt type. One less thing to monitor i guess!

Just a bad decision of footwear and having to be outside.

Shoud've worn my wellies.