Ticking rapid

BX Tech talk
Jaro
Confirmed BX'er

Ticking rapid

Post by Jaro »

My French girlfriend (Amelia !) a BX 14, has a ticking noise which I understand is related to the hydraulic pump keeping the pressure up in the main accumulator bulb. And I think I've read that about one tick per 30 secs is not too good -supposed to be closer to 2mins. Well my one clicks every sec regardless of the car moving or not.
So I'm assuming that either the bulbs or the pump need changing, so my question is:- one, is this important (ie can I put this repair off for a bit) and two, how do I work out which bit needs changing.

I would welcome any advice on this because having a girlfriend who ticks all the time is earning me dirty looks at the local bar.

Jaro
TB2
BXpert

Post by TB2 »

Mine was ticking once every 2 seconds when I bought it. Most common fault is a flat accumulator sphere. Change that sphere first. Or your pump might be weak.
Also, yes, this is pretty bad imho. I'd get it fixed ASAP as this is putting a lot of load on your pump.
Carl

1989 TRD "Entreprise" Turbo Diesel
1989 16 Valve
---
Parts needed:
- One black leather headrest.
- FDV overhaul kit (95.669.034)
Please contact me through PN if you have any of this.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

To test the accumulator - get the car to normal height and let it idle for a couple of minutes. Turn off the engine and sit in the boot - the back of the car should sink a long way and then rise again after about 30 seconds - powered by the accumulator. If it doesn't rise - accumulator has failed.

To see what should happen do the same with the engine running.

The accumulator is the sphere attached to the regulator which in turn is attached to the engine. Just because the accumulator has failed doesn't mean the rest are good or bad.