Let's have another doseur discussion

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Let's have another doseur discussion

Post by toddao »

Is it or isn't it? The dreaded doseur..

I've got chronic sink back and front - when I go in the shop for example and come out it's already half way down. My brakes are fine though.I've just put re-gassed spheres on the front ( not to be trusted according to a guy I met at The National) and the back ones are an unknown quantity - though it does bounce accordingly.

I might be relieving Vanny of a doseur that he has but I need to know whether this one - a three cylinder type can be substituted for my early two cylinder type and if so then why are both types still available from Citroen if the later one superceded the previous model..

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Cheers
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

how new is the LHM? I'd imagine poor spheres and old LHM would have a deciding factor, not to mention leakage in all the now worn hydraulic components. You might find you need to replace everything to get a non sinking back end!

Have you checked wher the fluid is leaking back from at the reservoir? this might giv eyou an idea of where the leak originates!
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Vanny, you have a good point there :wink:

My old sinking Xantia (early ones did not have anti-sink) used to sink really fast until I changed the LHM and cleaned the filters. It now stays up much longer that it did, much to my surprise :D

The old LHM had taken on a distinct yellow twinge after being in there for three years.
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Todd,
I changed the accumulator sphere and put new LHM in the GT, the result is that it stays up for hours! I fitted a Xantia/XM accumulator sphere (same price).

Worth a go I guess?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Thanks for replies fellas. Yes, it's about time that I changed the LHM.
The accumulator is one year old. I've got to change all the hydraulic pipes too as they are getting a bit rusty.
Maybe I'll make the doseur decision once I've done all the above..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The posting that Anders placed on my behalf in the sticky stuff up top will be useful to you Todd There are plenty of reasons for sinking but if you have a tick time of 30 seconds or more, then it probably isn't the doseur. Return flow is the only way of knowing for sure.