Alternator for Turbodiesel with aircon - suggestions?

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Alternator for Turbodiesel with aircon - suggestions?

Post by DLM »

After battling some electrical gremlins I'm reasonably sure that I'll need a new alternator for my aircon-equipped turbodiesel. Does anyone have any recommendations for spec and supply in the UK?

Despite a comprehensive clean-up of known trouble spots I have no alternator light illumination - just the faintest glimmer, and no charging taking place. Alternator leads are OK from the resistance/continuity point of view, alternator connections have been cleaned/checked, the brown 7-way block next to the battery has been given a thorough clean, and the panel bulb itself checked/substituted.

I'll probably sub in a spare 19D alternator in the short term, which should also provide confirmation of whether the alternator is at fault.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

Thanks Jon. What kind of changes are required to the bracket?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What I can tell you is that a ZX one (which is huge) won't fit my DTR Turbo. Mine is an 89 car with a Roto-diesel pump and the large thermostat so your engine may be different (and probably is with aircon) but there simply wasn't room to get the top bracket on.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

I have a 70ah alternator you are welcome to, surprisingly it came off a 19d, are they not usually 50ah? Known to be working when removed and will need pulley change. Any time you're down this way David :wink:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Thanks all - found I had a spare identical the 50A one that I removed. Some bungles along the way, but now fitted.
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

You can use the standard 50a on an aircon BX. Cit did fit the 80a on these as OE but this is not really required. You only use the higher output when the car is in traffic or ticking over with the aircon and consequently both fans running, i.e. not very often and certainly not enough to drain the battery.
The higher output alternator is the same size and uses the same fittings as the 50a, so no worries there should you decide to spend the extra ££s and fit one. They do cost a lot more though.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

Thanks all - will stick with the 50A for now. A French trip for which repl alt had become a necessity was postponed as still had a lack of charge, possibly because I was fitting it in less than ideal conditions (heavy rain, outside). Alt was OK after checkover by Tom, new charge wire, and attention to all connections for absolute cleanliness. Relief!