Bulbs

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Bulbs

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I want to replace the headlight bulbs - what is a good choice for more power without melting everything around?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

Hook up a pair of relays and a new 12V feed from the battery (fused of course) to the headlights - then standard bulbs will do the job quite well.

Silverstar bulbs are quite good as are Philips and Osram. I use Philips in the Bling and there is a def'o improvement over the OE bulbs. Standard 55W too.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Interesting sounding mod. Any chance of a step-by-step guide in true partwork fashion, starting with "You Will Need'... etc. and making it a sticky? A diagram would be good for those like me who are, basically, electrickery wimps.
M

Post by M »

Vannys your bloke for this. Basically a couple of DPDT relays from maplin or even the scrappers - take a new live feed (using decent grade wire) from the battery - fused - take to the relay - you want the trigger side fo the relay coil being fed by the wire from the headlights (which you cut) and the output side (new live feed) then goes to the headlamp - if you want the full beam to do the same then you will need an additional pair of relays.

I did teh whole mod using two relays (one for main an done for dipped) and took the feeds off and split it for both headlights - not really the proper way of doing it and looked messy. I will try and do some "paint" illustrations of what I mean - Like I said Vanny could probably talk you through much better than I can and I think its been discussed before - if not here then on Andyspares.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

thanks. :D
M

Post by M »

See the following threads:

This One

And This One

And even This One
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Ta. Should've been a little more investigative myself! :oops:
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

The Tramonta site covers it here and loads of other interesting stuff too 8)
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I was given a set of H4 HID (Xenon) headlight bulbs, wired them in and haven't looked back since. I know there is a bit of confusion over legality, but we took the car to an MOT station, and they passed the headlight alignment test, and the tester said they were better than standard bulbs because the beam pattern is more focused and crisp, and he couldn't fail them.

I think the kit cost around £150 at the time, but are considerably cheaper now, and so long as you get the right ones, they don't look particularly chavy, just really bright.

If you do a lot of b-road night driving, then they are the best thing in the world.