what are those for?

BX Tech talk
maxgreenwood
BXpert

what are those for?

Post by maxgreenwood »

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the two thin semi translucent pipes are that feed back into the LHM resevoir in a Y piece on the top of the filler cap? Some kind of return. .. Mine have some fluid sitting in them but never seem to offload it into the resevoir.

I filtered the Hydraflush i have in the system for the second time today.. and a load more silt and gunk came out, ride and steering was great after. Done about 1,700 miles on it so far, probably will replace with new LHM at 2.000.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

The pipes are breathers.
If the cap is fitted properly, without vents it'll blow off when the LHM level rises in the tank.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Thanks Doc,

so they shouldn't have any fluid in them? One of mine does. And i presume its important to have them fitted to avoid dirt getting into tank? through the little hole in the top?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It's not that uncommon to have fluid in them, especially if the tanks been overfilled at somepoint.

Nowt to worry about mate.

Er, well yeah getting dirt in the tank is always a bad thing, hence the slightly over ellaborate vent tubes.

Unless you start getting major spillage from them assume all is well.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...