How to tell timing chain

BX Tech talk
Vince/Three

How to tell timing chain

Post by Vince/Three »

I have just recently acquired a BX14RE, which has done only 38,500 plus miles (apparently). It is a 1989 model, and it has been suggested to me that although the mileage is low, because it will be 20 years old in January 09, that I should consider replacing the timing belt. There is no record in the service history of a change of tb, but is there any other way to tell if it needs one?
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Hi Vince and welcome to the forum :D

I'd change it as a matter of course, just to be on the safe side. After 20 years, despite the mileage, it is bound to have deteriorated. Also, whilst you are thre, swap the waterpump as they often fail shortly after changing the belt otherwise. A new belt pulls a bit differently on them and they don't like it. The waterpump is dead easy on a TU engine, as is the cambelt.

Also, critically inspect the eccentric tensioner and replace it if it feels a bit rough when you spin it.

Tension the new belt so you can just turn it through 90 degrees between finger and thumb on its longest run.

Sounds like a nice car you have there. Well worth looking after it :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:shock:
If that belt is 20 years old get it changed NOW!

Belts have a shelf life regardless of mileage, so 20 years is REALLY pushing it!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vince/Three

Timing belt

Post by Vince/Three »

Dear Doc and CitroJim,

Thanks for your gracious replies regarding my timing belt query (Well, not mine, of course, but the car's!) I've just ordered a timing belt and kit from Car Parts Direct, with whom I've had a good relationship in the past. The local Citroen garage here in Lancashire quoted my over £200 to replace the belt, but I understand that providing your own part should reduce the cost. Other than that, do any of you guys know of a Club Member or other contact who could do the job for peanuts. Sorry to ask, but I am in a very low wage bracket, so even £200 is a bit of a consideration, and I reckon that once this is done to the car, I could well have a good un for many years. The Car Parts Direct man wasn't too convinced when I asked if I could do it myself. He said he would not try it, because you could put something in the wrong place and ruin your engine. What do you think? I'm actually 8 miles from Wigan, and 4 and 6 from Skelmersdale and Ormskirk.

Ta!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

The belts actually pretty easy on TU engines, but if you've never done one before then at least having someone on hand with prior experience is useful.

£200 sounds like a bloody rip off though, it's only 40 minutes work.

If I was closer I'd gladly stop by and wham a belt kit on, but I'm in Bristol / Stroud, so it's a bit of a trek that far up, but there must be a member nearby who isn't a thieving bastard?

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Philhod on BXP is from Wigan ain't he?

Mark.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Quite so, although catching him home inbetwixt international jet setting could be issuous!

jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

If you can get the car to liverpool, I'll do it for £30.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
Vince/Three

Timing belt progress

Post by Vince/Three »

Hi! Thanks to Mark and Jonathan for the updates and suggestions. Mark - I would not mind meeting up with your contact in Wigan some time. It would be good to know someone a bit nearer. Jonathan, thanks for the offer of my coming over to Liverpool. I really appreciate that. However, at the moment I'm up to the eyes in work, and finding the time would be a bit difficult. Having said that, my missus and I have friends in Liverpool, (Salford/Eccles area), and I wouldn't mind meeting up with you some time either.

As it happens, I had to look into my usual garage today for another matter, and he saw that I'd changed the car, and commented on the remarkable condition of the BX. He told me that his Dad used to have one. So, I've booked the car in for Monday. The mechanic said it would be a reasonable doddle sorting it out. I'll probably go with that this time around.

Thanks heaps guys!

Vince.
Vince/Three

Sorry!

Post by Vince/Three »

Sorry Doc! I meant to include you in the last email, but I got a bit mixed up. Thanks for your comments too! (By the way, my Dad came from Gloucestershire - grew up on the Badminton Estate, just down the road from Highgrove House - in a little village called Didmarton.)

Vince.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Is the TU lump the same as the one in a pug 306 1.4 petrol? if it is my ex-cheapo garage did it for a mate of mine for £75 inc belt....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

No worries Vince, drop round any time, would be interested to see the car!

I have sent you a pm with my mobile number.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

OK - so it's an '89 registered model, but is it really the TU engine? I thought the 14 models with the TU were the TE and TGE?

Easy to to tell: TU big boxy lump sitting upright with exhaust port to middle front, whereas the "suitcase" engine it replaced is canted backwards in the engine bay.

Apologies if this is a red herring.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.