Skittish

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Skittish

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The roads around here are rubbish. The BXs I've owned have never been particularly happy with pot holes, ridges and bumps - especially on bends. Cruising and higher speed ride is as always good, but the GTi seems more easily unsettled than usual. It's starting to get to me a bit.

Now, why go looking for trouble when the car's just passed a check up and go a new MOT? Well two things: first: it's not the rear arm bearings, both have been given a clean bill of health. The spheres are new-ish genuine Citroen ones (GTi spec). It's riding on new-ish Michelins (not something I'm used to - could it be them?).

I still get a bit of a rattle from the front and the struts occasionally creak. But the main issue - the O/S drop link was replaced and it's happier now. So anti-roll bar bushes? Any other component that might contribute to less than perfect ride? Any thoughts?

I am being quite finickity here but I am prepared to sort it out whatever is required, as it's a fine car.

I suspect I am just not liking the harder set up GTi spheres, but would anything else like a tired HP pump be a contributry factor?

Thanks in advance, chaps!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Daft sugeestion Phil but worth a try, have you checked the tyre pressures? Had a problem with one of my cars not riding right, had not long had 4 new boots and they were 5psi over, made a big difference once they were set right.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Not such a daft suggestion. I'll check.
Toddman
BXpert

ride

Post by Toddman »

Worth checking the sphere part numbers too Phil just check it has been fitted with the correct items.

Cheers
Luke
Please call me Luke :)
1989 BX 16valve White 70k - G764KEW

http://www.bx16valve.com
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Tyre pressure a pound too high. Not enough to explain issues. I tend to think the spheres are the issue. Not that they're old and knackered or anything - the contrary in fact. But for what ever reason they don't suit the car/driver/road combination....
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

A silly one, I know - but is the LHM at all low? My ride became a lot better when topping up just before a long trip as was lower than I'd anticipated. Sphere changes where the old spheres were well past it often involve loss of lhm.

If there's any thunkery on hitting bumps check the lower (i.e. central)engine mount, the upper engine mounts, and check for front-to-back play on the front suspension arm (worn/perished bushes).

Also, I was amazed at the difference a new pair of rear suspension cylinders made to Grolliffe's handling - considerably tauter. Presumably the old ones were well worn internally. Not a cheap option by any means, though.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Another thing to check is the tracking. If it has too much toe-in it will be as sensitive as anything to the slightest steering input.

Vice-versa, if it has too much toe-out it will wallow all over the road. Either situation can make a car appear to have the directional stability of a 2year old on a new bike.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm going to approach this methodically and the first checks will be tracking, play in suspension components, sphere function and so on. The problem is not so big as to need immediate sorting, but I want to get this car running as well as possible before next year's 'run'.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

DavidRutherford wrote:Another thing to check is the tracking. If it has too much toe-in it will be as sensitive as anything to the slightest steering input.

Vice-versa, if it has too much toe-out it will wallow all over the road. Either situation can make a car appear to have the directional stability of a 2year old on a new bike.
I concour with this :(
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello having had the bolts holding the steering rack work loose that might be something to check along with the subframe bolts/mountings and while 'down there' the hardy joint could be worth a look at, only because it's a bit hidden and tends to be forgotten.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Will do. It's going up on the ramps soon so we'll have a good rummage.