Ignition Barrel

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Ignition Barrel

Post by jwthwaites96 »

Hi Guy's,
well the problems with my car continue, my ignition barrel seized up, the key would not go in, had to get the AA out and all they could do was bash out the old one.
Where can i get a new one and which are compatible with a 1.9 diesel TZD hatchback? any advise is always appreciated.
J
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi you could have a try at Eurocar parts thats where I got mine not long ago or failing that Direct car parts.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
jwthwaites96
Confirmed BX'er

Post by jwthwaites96 »

hi,
Suprisingly i tried them thismorning and they said they don't stock them anymore, gsf seems hopefull. whats your view on secondhand verses new?
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thanks for the info, eurocar parts managed to get a lock set in, took a couple of days.
Two problems seem to effect the locks, one being that a small pin wears and tilts and stops the key from entering and jams up. As a bodge I have removed the pin and it's been OK. The second thing is that the contacts wear and cause trouble with starting etc.. There are certain things that can be done to ease the load on the contacts such as using relays.
If you intend to keep the car then a new one is the way to go, a second hand one is an unknown quantity as regards life.
If the key is a 'flat' one then it will be the original one probably and it would be a jolly good idea to replace the lot as all the locks will be well worn.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Just as an extra the other thing that really messes up allign locks (not just BX ones) is a large bunch of keys hanging on there.....been known to cause lots of problems.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
roy.hassell
BXpert

Locks.

Post by roy.hassell »

John is now off sunning himself around the Greek Islands, cruising I believe.
However, before going he sent me an e-mail to say that GSF had supplied him with a complete set of new door locks, ignition lock, and keys for £70.00 so he's gone off quite happy.
Roy.
classic2cv
BXpert

Post by classic2cv »

I have the top half of a BX steering column form a TZD that i broke for spares

it has the lock fitted to it

i think that it fitted as a replacement part shortly before it was taken off the road (it looks very new & it has the later type key)
Citroen BX

Origami in plastic and steel

^^ ^^^^bx>