GSA Reservoir lid seal

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

GSA Reservoir lid seal

Post by mnde »

Earlier I removed my GSA's reservoir, emptied the green-black fluid and meticulously cleaned it and the filters (what a laborious job!)

I noticed that the lid wasn't all that tight a fit, and upon reinstallation with a fresh batch of Hydraflush, I found that there was seepage from under the lid whenever fluid was dumped back to the reservoir - high to normal position, slackening the pressure reg screw, slackening the front circuit safety valve to release front system pressure (no low position obtainable with the lever in a G!) So it seems that the O-ring seal is perished. Which is annoying as it's a messy job to remove the lid with a full reservoir...

Does anyone know whether the BX reservoir is identical to the GSA one and whether the seal is still available from Citroen? It looks outwardly the same, but I've not yet had the need to open my BX reservoir.

Cheers,

Mark.
Last edited by mnde on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

That's odd Mark, my GSA had a totally different LHM tank - it was a gold coloured thing versus the BX's green land mine shaped example (it's identical to the CX's though) I do think the central filter block of the tanks is the same (might be well wrong!)

I thought that the pressurised LHM that comes through the filters in the tank entered the tank at its lowest point to keep it away from the top seal. I'd first check that the filters are connected properly and that the LHM level isn't too high

Otherwise it's probably the seal right enough.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yep sorry, my GSA has the gold coloured tank I just thought the BX's green one looks very similar, and hopefully the filter block is the same - and the seal might still be available.

I pushed home the filter block with the reservoir empty, to avoid the horrible mess caused when I've done this in the past: when the large filter came adrift several times and I had to keep fishing it out of the reservoir. This time I reassembled the block carefully (including the metal hook securing the large filter at the bottom) and lowered it carefully in, so I'm relatively confident the large filter is still attached, and the cone one was secured in its twist fit fashion.

The LHM level is spot on: I filled the reservoir with about 3 litres of Hydraurincage, did all the business with undoing/doing up the pressure reg screw and safety valve three times, raised and lowered the car several times keeping an eye on the level, and topping up until the yellow hat was at the top ring in high position.

But what shouldn't happen is that I can easily rotate the block when it's fully home.... I need to lift it to verify the seal is correctly positioned (because I'm paranoid :lol: ) but tbh I found the block "too easy" to remove at the very start.... whereas I remember in the past prising it off with a screwdriver.

I didn't take a picture, but you should have seen the colour of the old fluid. And the filters, block and reservoir were covered with a black film.

This morning there was even some pressure left in the rear circuit :shock: and the car rose much more quickly.... etc... :D

I'm hoping that I haven't accidentally contaminated the brakes because - guess what numpty undid the safety valve not realising he'd not reconnected the front circuit reservoir vent hose - the end of which was resting on the heater box... :oops: ........ I did notice a slight pull to the left under heavy braking during my test run... :roll: [-o<

Mark.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

But what shouldn't happen is that I can easily rotate the block when it's fully home
Hmm, there ought to be a hard steel rod that clips over the whole thing. It has a straight end that locates in a hole just beyond the LHM tank (unually inner wing of the car) then a little V shaped depression that locates in the centre of the filter block and finally a hook that comes down the side of the tank and locates in a notch under the tank - if this is present and located properly the center part shouldn't move at all.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Aerodynamica wrote:
But what shouldn't happen is that I can easily rotate the block when it's fully home
Hmm, there ought to be a hard steel rod that clips over the whole thing. It has a straight end that locates in a hole just beyond the LHM tank (unually inner wing of the car) then a little V shaped depression that locates in the centre of the filter block and finally a hook that comes down the side of the tank and locates in a notch under the tank - if this is present and located properly the center part shouldn't move at all.
Yep the steel securing rod is securely in place. But before I put it on, I found I was able to rotate the filter block *easily* and I'm sure I shouldn't be able to. The first time I did an LHM change a few years ago I found the block was a bugger to get off - a very secure fit.

Mark.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

O well I didn't help! perhaps the rubber seal or filter block fitting are worn after all. Back to square one - can the be got from Citroen? - I don't know! anyone else?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Tank mounting.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello , at the bottom of the tank there is a 'well' that the white plastic disc fits into, this well forms a lump in the bottom of the tank that locates the tank in it's mounting, there should be a rubber ring that fits in between the tank and mounting. This can fall off and the result is a loose tank. It can be difficult to get it to stay in place particularly as they are usually covered in LHM and oil etc. I cleaned mine off and glued it into place on the tank.
If it's still there and the tank is still loose then it's a simple matter to give the retaining spring a 'tweek'.( bend it.)
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Hi Geoff,

The rubber mounting ring is fine and the tank is securely held by the retaining spring. It is the filter block that sits in the reservoir that is loose.

I really need access to that new official Citroen parts site with the exploded diagrams but I can't find the link... can anyone help?

This convinces me even more that I should have a spare, pre-cleaned reservoir (with filter block) just for doing LHM changes. It would make things a whole lot simpler!

Cheers,

Mark.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hi Mark I think that there is an element of confusion creeping in here having re-read all the posts, I was thinking it was a BX tank,sorry, it seems that it is a GSA tank.or am I still confused, which is easy.Is there a difference in the tanks?
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

NEVER WRONG.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

I'm sorry - I could have done with some photos couldn't I! :lol:

Let's start again.

I want to know whether the GSA reservoir filter block assembly is the same as the BX one, because if it is, it is more likely that the o-ring that seals between the filter block and the rim of the reservoir opening is still available from Citroen. Here's a picture of my engine bay with the reservoir in top left.

It was tipping it down last night so I couldn't compare and contrast for myself, hence I'm asking on here.

Cheers,

Mark.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Okay here we go! I finally found the link to the Citroen parts database...

BX HYDRAULIC RESERVOIR

What I need is No. 5 in the above diagram
5 488 788 HYD. BLOCK SEAL (DIAM. INT. 83, EXT. 125)

I just need to find out if the dimensions are the same for the GSA reservoir.

Cheers,

Mark.

P.S. The car's meant to be going to France at the weekend, you see!
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Seal.

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello Mark thank you very much, the fog clears somewhat, it does 'look' the same, would it be of any use if I were to measure a BX seal? I could probably find one but that wouldn't be until the weekend which would be too late. As a purely temporary measure how about a thin coat of silicon sealant, Granville do one that is very effective. A bead of it round the face of the seal , let it go off and it forms a quite good new surface, a wet (water) finger will smooth it err smooth.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

NEVER WRONG.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Sorry, could you tell me the link for those microfiche type diagrams? they look indispensable!
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Yeah, this was the link I was furiously hunting for:

http://service.citroen.com/

Get thee signed up!

Thanks for the tip Geoff :)

Mark.
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Well, I had a look tonight in fading light with a torch...

Of course upon withdrawing the filter block, I found the large filter was already half detached, so I reassembled and pushed the block carefully home, hands slick with Hydraflush... it fell off again and I had to fish it out of the reservoir... just what I didn't want. :evil:

Third time lucky... I hope (this time with torch held in mouth so I could use both hands to hold the block dead level). This time I made sure the seal was pushed right up snugly under the "lid" of the block. Then once everything was back together I found the car wouldn't rise and I had to prime the pump... using a funnel whose spout was just that bit too wide... and a (near empty) 5L can of Hydraflush in the other hand :roll:

Anyway, with pressure reg screw undone, started engine, waited, did up reg screw. Up she rises. I raised and lowered the height a few times , and this time there is no sign of leakage from around the block when lowering from high position. So either the seal is fitting a little better, or the large filter wasn't quite home. Fingers crossed then.

I bloody hate winter (none of this Autumn bollocks - it's winter already as far as I'm concerned). And at this moment I hate everyone who has a nice warm, lit garage to attend to their motahs in!

Nothing personal you understand :wink:

Mark.