Handbrake mechanism seems to be broken. Repair possible?

BX Tech talk
pitman
BXpert

Handbrake mechanism seems to be broken. Repair possible?

Post by pitman »

Hi all,

at least the last three years I had to re-adjust the handbrake everytime before MOT and it lasted always only two or three months and I was with 15 notches again.
And the last two years I always had to fit new breakpads. Otherwise, the handbrake cables seemed simply to be too long. The two adjusting nuts are really on the end.
I presume someone changing the breakpads before had no clue how to rewind the pistons and damaged the mechanism or it's become rusty or so.

This year, one of the levers seems to be broken. I can move it with the hand to its end and the disc still moves freely. There is also a short resistance to overcome when I move the lever. So, this looks really bad.

I believe to remember that some people have repaired the handbrake mechanism. Looks that as a way to go or should I look to buy a new part?
Would I need to buy a whole new caliper?
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The handbrake should be self adjusting and the nuts are only for initial setup and should not need touching thereafter.

Try slackening them off considerably, then start the engine, wait for pressure to build up and then tread heavily on the brake pedal and pull the handbrake lever up hard a few times - release the brake and see if there is any improvement.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

at least the last three years I had to re-adjust the handbrake everytime before MOT
To adjust the handbrake, do you use the following "self-adjustment" method? It allows a spring-and-washer mechanism within the top of the caliper to come into play. It's the ONLY approved method, and needs a 1mm gap each side between pad and disc after you've fitted new pads (or cables). For once, Haynes is pretty clear on the method.

(i) Start engine, put car in normal drive height.
(ii) Press brake pedal down VERY firmly and hold down.
(iii) Pull up the handbrake lever.
(iv) Repeat until the handbrake tightens within the first few notches of handbrake travel.

The retaining nuts at the end of the handbrake cable shouldn't need ANY adjustment at all after a cable has been fitted and the cables equalised. The "auto-adjustment" is used to compensate for wear. The fixing nut and locknut at the caliper end of the cable are NOT adjustment nuts for the handbrake in any shape or form.

However, as pads and disc wear to a low level , the handbrake auto-adjustment won't work any more, until new pads are fitted - as you describe.

When were the front discs last replaced, and what thickness of disc and pads do you have left? If you've replaced pads at least twice without changing the discs, then it's possible that the discs may have worn down so much that they are below specified thickness.

Apologies ifI've misunderstood what you've written, and you are already aware of this information.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
pitman
BXpert

Post by pitman »

Yes, I always tried this self-adjustment method.

With hydraulics in highest or in normal position. Applying foot and handbrake endlessly ... :roll:

The last years it was working to some extent. But it didn't really cure the problem. Therefore, my guess that the mechanism is broken, by man or by wear, or something entered through worn seals.

I haven't really examined it. At a first glance, I couldn't see anything suspicious. Only moving the lever by hand reveals that strange resistance point to overcome.
BX Leader 19 Diesel - 1986
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Have a look at the mechanism under the rubber boots. If water has been getting in, then it corrodes the works and the adjustment fails to function.

Just carefully remove the metal circlip, the turn the rubber boot back, and all is revealed.

Good luck
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Re: Handbrake mechanism seems to be broken. Repair possible?

Post by DavidRutherford »

pitman wrote:This year, one of the levers seems to be broken. I can move it with the hand to its end and the disc still moves freely. There is also a short resistance to overcome when I move the lever. So, this looks really bad.
Yes. If you can move the handbrake actuator lever all the way through it's deflection by hand, then it's broken off somewhere. You should barely be able to move it by hand, and should only be able to move it about halfway through it's deflection with a lever of some sort before it goes solid and the handbrake is "on".

Stripdown and rebuild time methinks. Not as hard as it sounds. You'll need a seals kit and patience.
this might be a signature