TD camshaft fubar

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

TD camshaft fubar

Post by ed4ferrets »

Scenario is a camshaft in 3 pieces, middle piece now serving as a paperweight. I understand from my 'friend' Search that pistons are unlikely to be seriously damaged from valve impact so will be looking for a 1.9 TD head in the near future.

My question is whether I can get the car from A to B by towing it in high gear to get suspension, brakes, steering (HP pump above alternator as it is a Xantia)?
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Break (almost there)
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

You should get away with towing it in gear. Lets face it, the cams mullered so it doesn't really make an odds!
You could remove the glow plugs to allow the cylinders to breathe sut it'll make a hell of a racket!

How fars it gota go mate?

Oh, bear in mind that the PAS will only operate with the engine turning, so it wont work when the cars staionary anyway, and you dont really need PAS when the wheels are rolling...
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

docchevron1472 wrote:You could remove the glow plugs to allow the cylinders to breathe but it'll make a hell of a racket!
Having done this with a petrol engine (removed the plugs and towed it in 5th gear) I would recommend leaving them in! I was at least 30' away from the engine being towed in the tow vehicle, and I still got a headache from the noise, despite only doing about 45-50mph. Any faster was intolerable.
this might be a signature
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Chris, haven't been able to convince Carol (yet) that my recently vacated driveway needs filling so will tow from Forest rd Kingswood to a mate in Longwell Green, maybe 4 to 5 miles if that. Guess I should replace the cam cover or there'll be oil all over the place :shock:. Tow vehicle will be a Discovery 300 so glow plugs shouldn't be an issue.

This self same Disco was written off a while ago whilst towing none other than a BX from Devon on what we suspect was a faulty trailer. It's only been back on the road for a week so fingers crossed history doesn't repeat itself :wink:
Marty said: "Take some small comfort from the fact that the driver of the other car, having failed the breath test will even now be in a little cell, with luck they will double him up with some mean bastard who will be tattooing a fandango on his arse"

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:
docchevron1472 wrote:You could remove the glow plugs to allow the cylinders to breathe but it'll make a hell of a racket!
Having done this with a petrol engine (removed the plugs and towed it in 5th gear) I would recommend leaving them in! I was at least 30' away from the engine being towed in the tow vehicle, and I still got a headache from the noise, despite only doing about 45-50mph. Any faster was intolerable.
Would it be possible to tow it leaving them in given that the valves are closed and not operating? :? Given the high compression of a diesel surely there will be tyre scuffing and debatable steering? :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

All that will happen is that the slug of air in the cylinder will be repeatedly compressed and then expanded again. The energy used to compress the air will almost all be recovered as the air expands again, so no massive loss. Definitely worth it to have steering, brakes and suspension.

Believe me... the din that an engine being turned at 2000rpm with no plugs in makes is absolutely deafening.

The only issue you will have is to charge the accumulator to begin with, and to get the car to rise in the first place. It is possible to drive the HP pump with an electric drill, but the mechanics needed to do this is usually rather complex. Last time I did it I had to use the right-angle drive from a knackered old angle-grinder to get the torque and angle of drive correct.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

I will need electrics for brake lights, indicators, hazards ie ignition on, do I need to disconnect fuel cut-off solenoid or am I being paranoid?

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If the cambelts failed and the cams smashed the likelyhood of the belt still driving the injection pump is about eleventy cajillion to one mate.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Am i being a bit thick here.
if the cam is mullered and the hp pump is driven of the other end of the cam from the belt it aint going to work.
is it.

Regards Kermit :) :)
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

That's what I thought at first, but he did mention that it was a Xantia (in small print!) where the HP pump is driven from the alternator belt...
Last edited by mat_fenwick on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

DavidRutherford wrote:Having done this with a petrol engine (removed the plugs and towed it in 5th gear) I would recommend leaving them in! I was at least 30' away from the engine being towed in the tow vehicle, and I still got a headache from the noise, despite only doing about 45-50mph. Any faster was intolerable.
:oops: :oops: :oops: And despite wearing ear defenders too...

I wish I'd never suggested removing the plugs, only the HT leads... as it also made a right mess of the engine bay, didn't it :lol: Ho hum.

I hope you get your Xantia sorted Ed - it sounds like a bugger of a situation to be in.

Cheers,

Mark.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Well, not a situation as such Mark, I'm also the proud owner of a BX TZD estate in perfect running order 8)

The xant has been offered to me on a plate, 90k T reg estate (with a lobotomised camshaft), all else apparently functioning. Trying to find a cheap yet safe way to move it a few miles..... :?

'94 XM 2.1TD Break
'63 Renault Caravelle
mike st gilles
BXpert

Post by mike st gilles »

Is it not possible to jack up the car and 'chock' the car to that height....seem to remember something re that for the CX and I think that was to just the towing eye up to height where you wouldn't knacker all the front end. Don't know if this would work with a BX.
Mike
Garlic Bread 'its the future'.
90 BX TZD Auto lives in France. 93 BX TXD Estate having had Ken Newbolds magic wand waved over it. 98' Honda Deauville NTV650.. '86 Fiat Ducato Swift Kontiki Camper
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

mike st gilles wrote:Is it not possible to jack up the car and 'chock' the car to that height....seem to remember something re that for the CX and I think that was to just the towing eye up to height where you wouldn't knacker all the front end. Don't know if this would work with a BX.
Again, we're talking about a Xantia here.

And no, you can't. The only reason you can do that with a CX is the very handy "paddles" which have the upper and lower bumpstops. With the CX you can jack it up and then insert a wooden spacer between the paddle and the bumpstop, which is enough just to move the vehicle.

With a Xantia's front struts there is nowhere to put the spacers. You might be able to get something in between the rear arms and the bottom stops, but I doubt it would stay there.
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

sorry didn't read the small print oops

Regards Kermit :) :)

Hope you have managed to move it safely sounds like a good project if it hasn't done too much damage
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)