Hydraulic pump wanted

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Hydraulic pump wanted

Post by Aerodynamica »

My car's HP pump is rattly and noisy and doesn't seem to be kicking out enough pressure.

I'm looking for a HP pump for a BX 16 in good working order - anyone have a spare?

Graeme
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Ive got one somewhere, dunno if its anygood but Im told its from a 16, yours gratis.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

That'd be great mate!

Postage will cost a bit I'd guess - but let me know how much.

Was it off a car with high miles?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I dont know to be honest Graeme it was a spare that came with one of the many 16 petrols ive had, will look in the garage on sunday and see where it is.
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Help! no sooner do I mention this and the thing gets worse! in addition to rattling and knocking the pump is now leaking LHM! I think its days are truly numbered now!

Well Tim here's hoping you found the old one you were talking about... :cry:
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Not as yet but im still looking!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Quite rare for the pumps to start leaking, i had one on my tzd, sounded fine, just leaked. A replacement courtesy of Ken soon sorted that leak out, no probs since, mind you its sat on drive not going anywhere so i would be a bit annoyed if it was leaking :lol:

Good luck in your search for a replacement....
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Aerodynamica wrote:Help! no sooner do I mention this and the thing gets worse! in addition to rattling and knocking the pump is now leaking LHM! I think its days are truly numbered now!

Well Tim here's hoping you found the old one you were talking about... :cry:
If push comes to shove Graeme, and Tim is too busy admiring his new louvre, I reckon Martin over at Pleiades should be able to sort out a rebuild for you.

Martin's a top bloke, seeming able to rebuild anything Citroen hydraulic :D
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Thanks chaps - I actually still need to confirm it's leaking! there was a little green pool spotted after returning to the car in a carpark and upon inspection it appeared to be coming from the pump, however the suction pipe from the LHM tank has a sort of join mid way and that also had a mild oozing of greenness.

The trouble is I have not had the time to properly check it over and confirm - the hydraulics are a bit lazy in their actions - sure the accumulator does a champion job of making my rebuilt height correctors show their performance but the PAS is a little heavy and the stop lamp takes ages to go out (tho once it's out first thing it stays out)

The pump is noisy though and the car had been run on a flat accumulator for some time before I got it :cry: there's a rhythmic knock-knock from the pump as though one of its 5 pistons is dead.

Of course it -might- turn out to be sucking in and banging some air from that oozy suction pipe?

Jim, although everyone I have heard has had good experiences with that company, I've had several unresolved disappointments I'm afraid. One of which was a labour intensive change of a CX steering column that turned out to be faulty after it was installed by myself and no reasonable answers were offered to me I'm afraid. Then there was the reconditioned height corrector that made the car go into hysterics (for a laff here's the video! ) all due to a so called 'better' damping system that was totally underdamped and upon enquiry no explanation was given and no calls returned! I had to re modify it in order to get it to work properly - again more of my time wasted; CX front corrector is a pain to get in and out - I ve got it down to a fine art of one hour now! The corrector I got also had a part worn ball joint even after I specifically inquired about the refurb of the joint I was told they're replaced 'if needed' - well mine had been untouched...
And finally , the reconditioned CX pump: success with this (2 out of 3 ai'nt too bad I suppose if I ignore all the money spent :roll: ) except for the crappy, thin layer of paint that started flaking off upon installation - access is good on the CX, and now it's rusting 10 months later. The height corrector and CX steering unit were similarly painted and flaking off while fitting - very annoying and not necessary. Never buy a height corrector from this guy! you can rebuild them yourself with the available service kit!

So thanks for the heads up but it's one company, as nice as the guy may be- that I have gone off I'm sorry to say.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I will roll the Sd out the garage tonight and have another look so dont fret. Im sure ive seen one!
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Aerodynamica wrote: So thanks for the heads up but it's one company, as nice as the guy may be- that I have gone off I'm sorry to say.
Shame to hear that Graeme :(

I read your article in this months Citroenian on height correctors with great interest :D Useful to know precisely how to dismantle them too!
Jim

nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

[quote="MULLEY"]Quite rare for the pumps to start leaking, quote]

mine didnt leak.. more like pissed lhm
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Useful to know precisely how to dismantle them too!
Hi Jim, yes go for it in future! I know from FCF you're cheifly a Xantia man but the height corrector unit itself is the same structurally to all previous correctors - you just need to remove the cradle of levers that it's attached to on the xant! I will also advise that the front unit of the Xantia it a HORROR to refit - well actually all bits of it; pipes anti roll connection and mounting bolts are as easy as can be but the manual height lever connection is a swine to reattach (it's totally inaccesable and can only be touched at a finger tip length!) It does go back eventually though!

Tim! I'd be delighted if you conjured up one!

Nige! this is also what I've heard! I guess you can just be unlucky with the BX 5 piston pump - it's higher output than the bigger 7 piston CX one so maybe it's under heavier load.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Aerodynamica wrote:I will also advise that the front unit of the Xantia it a HORROR to refit
Especially on an Activa Graeme :twisted: Mine died this time last year, the little ball fell off where it is rivetted to the plate. Swapping it in the January cold lying prone on a slab of exposed concrete with the wind whipping around was no joke :twisted:

Still, it sounds like a walk in the park compared to a CX front height corrector...
Jim

Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Jeez Jim the things we do to get these bloody cars working!

Well I had some time today after dark unfortunately, to look at the pump again. It's not clear where it's leaking from but certainly it's actually spraying up inside the bonnet! I thought it was coming out of the pump and dripping on the drive belt then spraying up - it is dripping on the belt but it's not cleat if it's leaking from the pump or the suction pipe.

If you look here, No. 1 shows an oozing of LHM at the middle of the suction pipe.

No. 2 is the part of the drive belt that's chucking it up.

No. 3 is the damp area of the Pump near the bearings that I thought was the leak source. It's never visibly leaking when it's running so you can't tell if it's leaking from 1. or 3. as the LHM seen at 1. could have been chucked up there..

Anyone know if the suction pipe is known to leak here at this (what looks like) join?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'