Some questions & updates

BX Tech talk
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Some questions & updates

Post by Debelix »

Hi again :)

After quite long process of replacing parts on hydraulic suspension on my BX I can finally (and proudly) say that's it s now in very nice condition (oh, modest me :oops: ). All problems was caused by the PR, which I changed before some days and now the car's ticking interval is around 40-50 seconds to 1 minute. Even more - after whole day of staying the car is still up - that was something that I have never seen before with my poor old BX! :lol: So anyway, I'm happy... not!

You see, the thing is that my BX is with 1,9 asthmatic diesel, which was OK for me, until yesterday, when I drove a BX with 1,7TD engine... Well, long story short, I was quite reluctant to sit back in my car :lol: So now I have some questions, or maybe it's more appropriate to say that I need an advice.

My 1,9D is quite a smoker (from the oil dipstick), so he is deffinitely going for a opening, repair and bla-bla etc. or maybe change with a 1,7TD from another BX. The question is which is better - to repair my poor old 1,9D and after that to put a turbo on it, or to dump it and put another 1,7TD on his place? The thing is that if I put a turbo on my engine I'm not quite sure that the head will withstand the pressure, but on the positive side it will be an all "new" and fresh (after the repair) engine, so who knows... On the other hand with the 1,7TD I won't have these doubts but it will be a.)old and b.)smaller (fewer HP?)

So... Could you help me to make a decision? :)
Driving a 1989 Citroen BX 19TRD
Before that - Frankenstein in the form of 1992 Lada Samara 1500S
Kevin B
BXpert

Post by Kevin B »

Hi,

Your much better off replacing your engine with a 1.7TD engine from a Citroen BX turbo diesel, as your 1.9 N/A engine is just not built so as to allow you to strap a turbo on it, as their are many internal and external differences.

Far better to get a scrap Bx Turbo diesel with a known good engine, then you have everything you need to convert, ie g/box with correct ratios to suit the TD engine, exhaust system, induction system, clutch cable, driveshafts (beefed up on the TD version I believe), cooling system, and different glow controller with post heating. As these all differ from the N/A version.
Also the bonus with this approach is you will have a hoard of other useful spares as well!!!!.

You could also get a 1.9 TD engine (for another 2 BHP increase over the 1769 cc lump) from a Peugeot 306, Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406 (mk1), or even a Citroen Xantia or ZX, but this is alot more work as you would need to change the cam (no drive pulley on these engines), blank off oil feed gallery to cam driven vacuum pump, change the clutch (pull off clutch on these engines), also you would need non EGR manifolds, and maybe a Citroen BX T/D Turbo exit branch, as I know the Peugeot 306 turbo differs in this respect. You would also need a whole load of bits from a Citroen BX T/D. It can be done but its a lot more work than just fitting a 1.7TD engine from a complete BX 1.7T/D. I know whats involved if you go this route as I have done this conversion myself on a BX 19TRS many years ago, and its alot of work!!!!.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Hello, your poor old 1.9 sounds a bit tired but the bits are relatively cheap compared with the TD prices.(Piston rings etc.).
The TD engine is a completely different animal compared to the 1.9, pistons,rods,crank, head etc. Please do not be tempted to try to put a turbo on the 1.9 it will have a very very short life before it goes 'bang'. The TD has about 20 bhp more and is much stronger and some think a 'sweeter' engine. Having said that the old 1.9 is capable of going on forever and will cruise all day at 70 mph. even if it takes a time to get there.
Your choice.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

So it's clear then - I'll go for the 1,7TD :) I really loved the way it accelerates - it just goes on and on forever until the end of RPM gauge, not like my 1,9D which have a little spark of life between 1800 and 2500 rpm and then it's dead again. The only thing that I should be careful is moving the the A/C on the new engine, but I believe that this will be relatively easy conversion.

Thanks for the tips, guys :)
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

or a 1.9 TD from a Xantia or Pug 306/405!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Kevin B wrote:different glow controller with post heating.
Only 1.9TD engines had this. The 1.7TD engine does have a slightly different controller, but itl doesn't have post-heat.
this might be a signature
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

Hm, what you mean by "post-heating"? I'm asking because my BX 1,9D seem to have some kind of that - when the glow plug light goes off the plugs itself continue to work (glow) and maybe 5-8 seconds later they are off, so that's something like post heating, I guess...

By the way, if I go the Xantia's 1,9TD way - I've seen that their HP Pump is located under the alternator (generator?), and in the BX it's on the other side of the engine - is there a possibility for a workaround or I must move the HP Pump on the BX?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Debelix wrote:Hm, what you mean by "post-heating"? I'm asking because my BX 1,9D seem to have some kind of that - when the glow plug light goes off the plugs itself continue to work (glow) and maybe 5-8 seconds later they are off, so that's something like post heating, I guess...
What your car does is to run the heater plugs for 30 seconds. The lamps lights for possibly 10 of those seconds. If you don't start the car, after a further 20 seconds the glowplugs turn off so that you don't drain the battery. However, when you crank the engine, the glowplug timer is turned off. The glowplugs are kept energised while the engine is being cranked, but as soon as you stop cranking, the glowplugs are off.

Post-heat is an option only on later 1.9TD engines, whereby the timer leaves the plugs on after the engine has started. If turns them off after either 2 minutes, if the coolant has gone over 60c, or if you use more than about 1/2 accelerator travel. This system was fitted to reduce start-up smoke, and has no benefit to the running of the engine. What it does do though is demand better glowplugs, and still burns them out quite quickly.

The odd thing is that the later (better) glowplugs are actually slightly cheaper, and are a good upgrade for the BX, as you are under-working them.
this might be a signature
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

Ah, I see now :) Thanks a lot for the info, I didn't knew that. I'm going to see a potential donor for a 1,7TD engine this saturday, so keep your fingers crossed to be in a good condition... and to be for sale :lol:
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Debelix wrote:it just goes on and on forever until the end of RPM gauge, not like my 1,9D which have a little spark of life between 1800 and 2500 rpm and then it's dead again
Don't judge the 1.9D in general on the basis of your own motor, which obviously has a serious problem. It should rev smoothly to 4600rpm and upwards with no problem at all.
Debelix
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Debelix »

Well, I admit that I was heavily exaggerating the bad sides of my 1,9D engine :oops: It's quite fine for a normal diesel engine, but put next to a turbo-fed one it's just not-so-fine anymore, at least for me :) Now don't get me wrong - I'm not a high-speed person, I love cruising at around 100-120 km/h and that's just perfect for me. The thing is that sometimes one just need the power and torque of a turbo-diesel (when overtaking, for example), so it's good to have it there in case of need.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Much more exciting overtaking in a n/a diesel :lol:
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

MULLEY wrote:Much more exciting overtaking in a n/a diesel :lol:
In the same way that it's exciting juggling a hairdryer in the bath? :wink:

EDIT - Just realised that this is my 1000th post! Should have said something useful...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
nige!
Confirmed BX'er

Post by nige! »

i quite reguarly drive my 1.9D from Inverness to London and back again 1000++in one weekend, i find the 1.9D is just fine on the motorway and the infamous A9, and loads of good MPG, sounds like of effort your going to just for 20bhp
all i want for christmas is a dukla prague away kit

My Fleet:
1994 Citreon BX - reliable Eric
1970 MKIII OD Spitfire (1500) - MOT'd and driving daily
1972 VW Type2 Camper - all ready for holidays
1984 Kawaskai Z750ltd - still scares me
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

nige! wrote:i quite reguarly drive my 1.9D from Inverness to London and back again 1000++in one weekend, i find the 1.9D is just fine on the motorway and the infamous A9, and loads of good MPG, sounds like of effort your going to just for 20bhp
*and* 45 ft/lbs more torque, which believe me makes a *big* difference,,,
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski