bx 1986 trx 1500cc fuel problem

BX Tech talk
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

bx 1986 trx 1500cc fuel problem

Post by kevlights »

5 speed manual early Lego mk1
the car goes fine from a full tank untill to about a quarter tank of fuel then it starts to hesitate and fart about,ihave replaced the fuel filter in the engine between the fuel pump and carb, have just opened up the inspection ports on top of the petrol tank and checked the filter and sender they are clean and appear to work okay ,filter on suction pipe was clean;so im stumped , the gas tank has at least a quarter full but the car runs as if its very low or nearly empty, done 195 miles from full tank to now with no problem; any ideas?
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
just a little bit insane and slightly Euro potty
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I did read a long time ago about a similar problem with a petrol BX, it turned out that the rubber fuel pick up pipe that sits in the tank had rotted away at the end, thus couldn't reach the fuel when it was low :?
They think it's all over, it is now!
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

fuel problems

Post by kevlights »

thanks for your reply StationMaster
I have had a look a the fuel pick up in the petrol tank its two metal tubes and is covered by a circular plastic filter housing ,it is in good order and clean,so have eliminated that as a course of the problem ;is it possible for the manual fuel pump to develop faults giving these fuel symptons ? the car goes fine untill the level in the tank is at the quater mark ,help
sold the BX to buy ZX disaster! sold to get Fiat Croma nice car but gutless,sold to get Peugeot 505;sold that 505 to purchase another BX ,at least I know about them! 1989 BX 19GTi AutoPetrol
demag
BXpert

Post by demag »

Does it run better after opening the filler cap. Just wondering if the tank breather is blocked or resricted.
Dave.

2004 C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2hdi automatic.
1990 Bx TGS automatic.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I was going to say breathers as well! Pretty sure that was the cause of a past BX issue like that in the days of owning a 16. The 19 dont suffer so much because of the added expansion tank giving it an extra 14 litres thats what I have been lead to believe.

Was going to reply in the TM forum but I noticed you were refering to a Pug 405 over there? Whats up afraid of the stick from the Holden and Ford losers. :lol:
1991 BX19 TZS 04/01/91 (Deceased)
1990 BX19 TRS 27/10/89 (Reborn)
1992 BX19 TXD (Ex UK - K 744 SDF) 15/06/92
1990 BX19 TZS Auto 06/11/1989
1992 BX TZD Turbo Estate (Ex UK) 1/07/91
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

bz fuel woes

Post by kevlights »

kiwi
BXpert, yes you are correct when posting on TM the ragged hoards of anti euro seem to particuarly inflamed by the Cheverons ,must be like red to a bull !! the motor and running gear of the 405 pug are similar and the Peugeot doesnt seem to attract the nutters as much; must admit that my spelling isnt the best hydrolic and color are in my school exercise books from way back; some of our teachers were USA from W Samoa and some were French/Canadian ,you should hear our pronunciation and elocution tried to order car parts on the ph and Kiwis think Im from Santa 'Fe ; thanks for your suggestion will check out .cheers Kev
kevlights
Confirmed BX'er

fuel woes bx trs 1986

Post by kevlights »

have replaced the fuel pump and found a small pipe at the bottom front of the carb, leaking air ;have blanked it off so hope the fuel pumping problem has been fixed ;wont know untill petrol level in the tank goes down to quarter full; cheers thanks for your help Kev