James' BX

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Tourist
BXpert

James' BX

Post by Tourist »

I'm sure most of you are aware that I payed too much for this car, and as it turns out there are some problems with it.

Here are some pictures:

The turbo isn't working, this thing takes 25 seconds to reach 60 which isn't right to anyone's standards! The spheres also need replacing, this all costs money I don't have.

You could call it bad luck, but I love this car and I'll do what I can to keep it on the road.

There's one thing missing from the back - I need to get one of your BX club stickers :)

Updates on this car as they come, thanks for reading.
Last edited by Tourist on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I could be wrong, but looking at the second-to-last photo, I'd say your rear arm bearing on that side is dead too. Can you take a photo of the car, from the back, from directly behind each rear wheel, near ground level. That will show if the arm bearings are good or not.
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

I would agree with you on that David, I've noticed this too. Pictures to come.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Nice colour James, keep the faith though mate you will get there!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

It'll be a challenge, but worth it in the end. Keep us informed with progress.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

I actually think the alloys suit the car. :oops:

It is a good looking car though IMO and I really hope things work out for you.

About the Turbo, the garage has discovered that the accelerator pedal on our Hurricane is slightly wonky and is going to one side when accelerating so we're not feeling the turbo, it's not an expensive job and is getting fixed soon.

The car still easily accelerates though but you just don't feel the turbo as much as you should, is this similar to your problem?
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Hurricane wrote:is this similar to your problem?
Sounds similar, I read about this problem before I signed up. I can vaguely feel the turbo now (after yesterday's garage rip-off experience) but it's nothing like it should be. The pedal seems fine to me, though you might be right.

Still takes a good 24/25 seconds to reach 60 ... way off the mark, which makes me keep with the idea that my turbo isn't giving any power, or it's minimal.

Here are some quick pics of the rear wheels:

It might be that since David pointed the arm bearings out it's been playing on my mind, but today when driving I could hear creaking :? I'm aware that there's a thread about similar problems in the technical section.

They do look worn to me, the question is can you drive on worn bearings?

Edit: the other wheel looks about the same as this one.
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

Tourist wrote:It might be that since David pointed the arm bearings out it's been playing on my mind, but today when driving I could hear creaking :?
Oh the dreaded creak! Sends shivers down my spine that does, we had the exact same problem with our old Hurricane. Have you tried pushing up and down on the back of the car and seeing if it creaks?

Also Mr Chidlow noticed on some pictures of our Hurricane that the arm bearings may be on their way out but we haven't had them checked yet.

Here is a picture of the car, the lean on the wheels actually looks worse than it is!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk32 ... 1844-1.jpg

Although there is no creaking on ours at all as of yet.
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Nice car hurricane, I'm not sure about my wheels, pretty sure there's no creaking when the car is pushed downwards as my friend kept doing it and I never heard it.

It's just every now and then when you go over a bump that's big enough ... I can get them looked at when the car's back up on a ramp (monday with luck) but do you think it's ok to drive over the weekend? Wouldn't want to cause even more damage.

What I really need is a local BX-er who can help me out a bit as I'm not in the know about BXs and cars in general. Is anyone local to me? Postcode: OX49.
Hurricane
BXpert

Post by Hurricane »

Tourist wrote: but do you think it's ok to drive over the weekend? Wouldn't want to cause even more damage.
Well I'm no expert but we drove ours creaking from Preston to Scarborough and back and about 50 miles whilst over there last August and it came through unscathed so hopefully yours will be ok for now.

Although don't take my word for it your best seeing what others say first. :D
K BX 19 TXD
J BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
J BX TZD Turbo
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Although it's going to continue to deteriorate, the chances are you can drive around with worn bearings for quite some time. I know I have in the past. Strictly speaking I should do my o/s one, but money's tight, (and time) so it'll have to wait until next month.

A bit of a lean, you can live with for a short while. Best get it done if it starts to creak a lot though!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Tourist wrote:Edit: the other wheel looks about the same as this one.
In which case both of your rear arm bearings are completely knackered. I'd guess that any damage to the bearing/seal surfaces in the arm is already done.

I suspect the car handles like a wayward shopping trolley in its current state.
this might be a signature
Tourist
BXpert

Post by Tourist »

Seems ok to me but then, I'm not familiar with how the BX should drive. It seems to corner ok but I can feel every single bump as I drive over it.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Tourist wrote:I can feel every single bump as I drive over it.
Well for that the first thing to do is check your spheres and if they're hard then you need to attend to this without further delay!

You can easily tell if the spheres are sh**ged when you drive over the "cushions" or "sleeping policemen" as a BX handles these smoother than any other car. Any "bangs" or "leaps" and spheres need to be changed in pairs, front, back or both.
They are quite inexpensive from GSF, why wait to damage your suspension components? :o
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Just a thought....a Xantia I bought once had no turbo either, with no funny noises. Accelaration was woeful, smoked badly to begin with but fine after a while.

Cause? Main pipe from intercooler had come off. Jubilee clip failed. I take it you've checked all the pipes?

Otherwise it's a straight car. Needs sliver speedlines though.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)