H Reg BX 16v 113k Free to good home Southampton area

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
Hairbear

H Reg BX 16v 113k Free to good home Southampton area

Post by Hairbear »

I have had my 16V sitting on the drive for a number of years since mildly damaging the rear drivers side door. I have been intending to bring it back into service but have just never got round to it (after 5 Citroens I needed a rest) and now have too many other 'projects'.

I have just started her up and she runs, good oil pressure. Hydraulic pressure OK but pump chattering (I had replaced new regulator etc. but was never quite happy with it). Bit noisy as back silencer now has hole it. Radiator runs up to temp. and fan cuts in OK. Electrics, brakes & clutch all seem OK. Once warm exhaust seemed pretty clean.

Being Citroen red it has faded to many different shades, but haven't noticed any significant rust. I can send Photos of body/endgine/dash etc.

I really need to clear a gap on the drive asap for new arrival so will give her away to anyone who is looking for a project or spares to keep another 16V running. I will throw in some Strongbow if you can do it in the next week !

I would hate to scrap her, but it might come down to me or her !

If you know any one who might be interested and can move her, mail me on thefoxes9@hotmail.com I live in Hedge End near Southampton.

Cheers Hairbear
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Hello Hairbear,

I'm sure someone will step up to save this or take for parts or even just for the Strongbow! I definately would but I'm a thousand miles too east. Shame, as my wife likes Strongbow! :D Would be good if you can post some pictures up here.
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
CitroXim
Sir Jim of the Databases

Post by CitroXim »

Sounds to me like it's far too good to scrap or use as a spares donor and is a good prospect for restoration.

Have you any photos you can post up Hairbear?
Jim

'98 Xantia 1.9TD in Red - Gabriel the Bus...
'96 Xantia Activa in Red - My favourite toy...
'07 Pug 207 in Blue - The Deathtrap...
'15 Giant Defy Bike in Blue - Daily rider...
'16 Giant TCR Bike in Black/Lime Green - Fine weather only...
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Damn it, I was in southampton today with a boot full of stuff an nowhere to go! :oops:
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Erm, emailed! :)
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Hairbear

Post by Hairbear »

Hi Kitch

Thanks for the mail, see ur just round the corner - there BX'ers every where. Haven't managed to find how you post photos yet.

Must say the paint looks great in the photos, who says a camera never lies !

Best you look at the beast before offering a home - I'll send some piccies and give you a call tomorrow.

Cheers all
Hairbear[/img]
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

OK mate, let me know. To be honest, if it's free then I'll take it. I'm not one of those who say yes I'll have it, then turn up and pick holes in it! :lol:

I've got lots of spares here, including a pump and a back box so ideally I see returning it to the road as the best solution. I've just broken the remains of one that got pugged so I'm in fighting spirit to save another one!
I did need to shift that, as it was basically a shell, but a complete car I will find somewhere to keep (que phone call to parents!)

I'm a bit worried actually....mines red, has done 113k and regularly visits Hedge End! Maybe I should check me garage! :shock:

I'll await your call mate. I can have it out of your way tomorrow night.

Cheers

Hairbear

Post by Hairbear »

Hah- you're better judgement has been affected by the lure of the Strongbow bonus - Two pink BXs !
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Can't say I've ever tried Strongbow, although I don't get on with most ciders....had a bad episode aged 13!

speak to you tomorrow, cheers!

Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Going round Tuesday, armed with a low loader. This one's being saved :D

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done that man, PICTURES! :D
Kitch
Over 2k

Post by Kitch »

Well, in the end tomorrow became today and I've got the car safe and sound back at home now. Big thanks to Hugh for allowing one of us to take the car and give a bloody good go at making it road bound again! A true gent.

Only pictures I have are the ones I was emailed. More of my own later...they'll follow in this thread.

From what I can make out, it was last on the road in 2001! Hugh has owned the car since 1997, and according to the history it's only covered around 20k miles or so since then.

It's actually a newer car than my own, even though it was registered before it! It's a mid 90's spec, so twin electric mirrors and 2 row ECU :D

First impressions are pretty good, definately better than expected. It has an original remote plip (which doesn't work yet), no dings other than the one in the O/S/R door, a complete bodykit, a sunroof deflector (if thats your bag!) and the interior is in good condition.

Rot wise the A-pillars are good, and the inner wing on the O/S is rot free. N/S looks like it's got some, but doesn't look horrific yet. Bottoms of C-pillars are mixed....one looks new, the other has tinworm but seems solid enough to work with. Only let down area for me is a tricky one.....around the windscreen and up the A-posts. I've seen much worse, but I know it's tricky to put right whatever state it's in, so thats one count against it. I don't know what it's like underneath....could be like cheese! But initial impressions aren't bad.

Engine runs smoothly enough, although only for brief periods before it drops onto two or three cylinders. Could be something simple like old fuel, or possibly needs a few tit bits like plugs, leads etc. Gearbox is smooth and tight.
Brakes aren't functioning very well, but again it's fair game for a car that's been stood. Hydraulics seem ok, but rear spheres are shot. Front's seem ok, although you can never tell it's settled until you get the faulty ones changed.

To cap it off, so far the things that need doing are:

Exhaust cross box - gaping hole in it! Backbox looks tired, plus it clearly needs a ph2 oval!

ABS light on

Speedo doesn't work

Dash bulbs mostly out - easy fix

Replacement O/S/R door

New aerial

Clutch either needs adjusting or replacing - heavier than most, although not excessive. Bites high.

Rust around screen & A-posts - Door mounts on A-pillars are good....N/S is best I've ever seen.

Slight knock from N/S suspension

Misfire from engine - suspect decent service & tune up required, don't think theres anything seriously wrong with it, as when it's happy it's very happy!

General wiring tidy-up - clean connections etc

Other than the above I can't see alot more so far. Obviously the MOT will pull up other things, probably CV boots and flexi-hoses so I'm prepared for that.

My intention is to restore some life into the car, get a ticket on it and find it a decent home. It definately has signs of potential, and if it were not for the rust it could really be one of the tidiest I've seen for a while (after it's got intimate with some cutting compound and a mop!)

Next step is go through the car with a fine toothcombe, list all the known faults and add the sums together and decide if it's worth ploughing on with or not. So far, I think it is but theres alot of the car I haven't seen yet.

Worst case scenario....the car is beyond economical repair and it's broken/recycled in the same way the white one was in order to create a decent spares source. I genuinely don't want it to happen that way, so I'm being positive so far.
Not much will happen in the next couple of weeks or so though, as moving house and packing are priority. Once settled in the new place, I'll crack on with it.

Not sure the gallery was the best place to write all that, but hey ho!

Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Well done Mr Kitch, Im sure your the man to save that, I have a cross box your welcome too, bit far to collect though (dont I Know it).
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Excellent; that does look like it has potential! I'm terribly jealous!
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Well done Kitch. It doesn't look or sound beyond help. Your two little ones can have a 16v each!

I like the Furio Pink paintwork as well. Perfect family car! :D
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read