MK2 19RD ESTATE

Buy or sell parts etc. Please put 'Wanted' in the title if it is a request for parts.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

MK2 19RD ESTATE

Post by Tim Leech »

Had a email earlier from a guy who wants to fine a home for a an old 19RD estate.

It reads as follows;

Dear Tim, I gave a D reg. 19RD diesel estate to my friend Sally, in South London.It has done 130000 miles and has had a recent service (2000miles ago)and has abrand new radiator. It has a fluid leak from the octopus, but she keeps puttingLHM in it, and pootles off round London in it regularly.Its Tax is due up at theend of the month so it needs a new home fast otherwise it'll become a ChineseFridge.

It is a very early MK2 in red, looks to be half tidy with a TZD front bumper (fogs and splitter)

This car is FREE to a good home who will return it to the road,

Please contact me for contact details. Car is in south london and needs to be collected within 2 weeks.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

That might be ideal for a colleague of mine...

Can you PM me with the details you have?

TIA.
this might be a signature
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

David

Sorry I missed your reply PM on its way!
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Got any seats

Post by Jaba »

Hi Tim

You haven't got a GTi type drivers seat (with TWO adjusting knobs) surplus to requirements by any chance ??

Mine is bent a bit and consequently is not adjustable any more.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

I havent mate, sorry no, Artic steel may have?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Did this car go?
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Not yet as far as I know, David did you claim it?
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Spoken to the blokey who's number you gave me, but he's not the custodian of the car. I was expecting a call back from him, but I believe I was on another call at the time, so I'll call him back tomorrow.

The car is hopefully destined for a colleage's son, after a bit of octopus surgery and a new MOT.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

That's OK, I'm still looking for good estate for my auto conversion and this was about the right price, if not location. There'll be others. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

DavidRutherford wrote:Spoken to the blokey who's number you gave me, but he's not the custodian of the car. I was expecting a call back from him, but I believe I was on another call at the time, so I'll call him back tomorrow.

The car is hopefully destined for a colleage's son, after a bit of octopus surgery and a new MOT.
Great stuff David.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Saw this car today, and assuming everything goes to plan should be recovering it from Lundun next weekend.

It's got problems though. The only key has been sheared off in the ignition barrel, and hence not only can the car not be driven (the stub doesn't work unfortunately), but it can't be locked or get any more fuel into it.

The passenger seat has been changed for a later TZ spec seat. The front of the car has clearly had a stoff at some point as it's got the front off a TZ spec car on it, which means a short-nose bonnet, and splitter & (inoperative) fogs.

The LHM leak is reasonably severe given the number of empty gallon containers in the car, although it has apparently been leaking for a fair-old-while.

And both the tax and MOT are out.

... But I do like it. No idea why, but I do.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Great stuff david, as you say it needs love but ok for a freebie.
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

Like it? I've never seen you so enthusiastic over a BX!

It was rather lovable though, wasn't it? A strange amalgam of the same problems of my old red one and the current blue estate... all a bit deja vu.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Well that was a bit of a bloody disaster.

The main issue with this car for getting it transported was the fact that the key had been sheared off in the ignition barrell. Not a problem, as the car came with a replacement barrell and key. Brilliant.

So, yesterday evening I pull the steering column to bits, beat out the old barrell (fairly easily actually), remove the radio for access (very badly wired) connect up the new barrell (just leaving it loose on the passenger floor, and turn the key.... It tries to start, but the battery is too flat. Unfortunately, the car had a nasty 1980's car alarm fitted to it, which detected that the battery voltage had dropped to near-zero, and then when the passenger door was opened, decided to go off. We have no key, no remote, no instructions... nothing. Wait 30 seconds and it goes off. Fine.

About this time a BMW Police car comes belting down the road on blues&two's.. Is this for us? After all, we're stood at the side of the road breaking the steering lock on a car, and the alarm's going off..... This could take some explaining. Not for us as it transpired.

Bring around Stu's BX to jump-start this one off, leave it hooked up for a bit, go to try again, and the alarm goes off again. Bloody hell! So the sounder gets beaten to death with a hammer... That's shut that up. Only problem is now that the alarm has gone off, the unit has immobilised the car. Completely. No ignition, no starter, nothing. Shit. Have a look at the alarm to see if it can be reset in any way, and as I poke at it, all the wiring dissolves in a green-copper-corrosion mess. Double shit. Next thought... Can I remove the wiring for the alarm and immobiliser?

At this point I catch more blue lights out of the corner of my eye, and then turn round to see a flourescent van driving very slowly with blue lights on. OK then... this time it's a police van to come and get us is it? Oh no, it's an ambulance.

Trace the cable back from the alarm, and it's connected in at the fuse board, but some clever person (IE a complete penis) has wired it in with about 32000 scotchlocks, and made a complete and utter mess of it. No. Not going to happen. There's no way I can rebuild a BX's fuseboard wiring at the side of the road at 8pm with no lighting, and none of my wiring tools.

So it's still sat there, with most of the dashboard in bits, a new ignition barrell connected but not properly fitted, an alarm in 1000 pieces, and the fuseboard hanging out.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with it now.
Tim Leech
Over 2k

Post by Tim Leech »

Go back to it when its not dark, or raining, and your in no rush and all the bits you need, if anyone can fix it im sure you can.