Cyril's progress

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Aerodynamica wrote:the CX is giving me gyp - had to get RAC'd on Saturday after a cooling hose popped.. the RAC dude advised to watch out for the head gasket..
Look at it this way... that engine has to be the easiest head gasket in the entire world. Really. If you had a head skimming machine handy I recon you could do one in an afternoon.
this might be a signature
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Had to go awa (scots for 'away' pronounced: Ah- waw) for a bit due to the lap top battery being low on jooce - but me has the power no - the power cable that iz :D

(lol)

Rightwise, having replaced the FDV, I refitted the radiator and refilled the cooling system and connections, ran the engine till operating temp and checked the coolant - A-OK and then proceeded to bravely check the PAS performance at stationary and then at parking speeds.

The result?

well, the PAS definitely works better - the assistance is much more obvious compared to before - the previous performance was poor: the steering just felt heavy at low speed even with the new HP pump - and of course, the constant HISSSSSSSSSSS, and the need to rev the engine to gain PRV cut out.

A quick final photo of the FDV going back in from the side - all nicely overexposed etc.

Also, the 'NEW' PRV, has a different 'Hiss characteristic' inasmuch as it's still hissing but after a little while each it cuts out 'normally'. I think it's closer to 'normale' than it was too but it's the PAS performance that has made all the effort and blood worthwhile.

Conclusion: lol
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

DavidRutherford wrote:
Aerodynamica wrote:the CX is giving me gyp - had to get RAC'd on Saturday after a cooling hose popped.. the RAC dude advised to watch out for the head gasket..
Look at it this way... that engine has to be the easiest head gasket in the entire world. Really. If you had a head skimming machine handy I recon you could do one in an afternoon.
David! I'm attempting to gain excuses to keep the BX! - don't encourage my rational side please! The CX doesn't even have a HG problem - the bubbling over problem from last year was just an air lock....

Anyway, because me is a freek, me has a 'thing' for BXes and needs a reasone for one's need to retain said BX in one's posession.

)note: one HAS been drinking this evening - one checks one's spelling and punctuation but not what one actually types)

er,

lol?

Right, job done and PAS workeh.

What's next
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Oops

Post by Aerodynamica »

Because I'm such a Shin dogu (geddit?) I had a little accident with Cyril today.

Correction: Cyril was merely stationary - I crashed into him with the sharp end of a CX.

Cyril now sports a bruiser of a smashed headlight

Of the pair, the offside lamp was the 'good one' - typical...

I'll need to replace both now as the N/S one is shit.

Then my lovely niece picked up the bulb by the glass that I'd left on top of the dashboard! bless her (tho it was totally my fault. ) so that will last a very short time now! It is a quality item I got out of Lidl - has a Chavvy blue tint to it.. kwolity
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Clean the bulb off with meths or similar... it'll be fine.

As for the headlamp. the reflector looks in great condition, so if you want a glass lens, I can post you one...
this might be a signature
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

- Thanks David, sure - it would be very much appreciated. The reflector is 'OK' not as good as the photo makes it appear as it has previously been reattached by myself due to water leaking in (over a long period it seems as the reflector is discolored in a few places)

anyway, PM me?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

DavidRutherford wrote:Clean the bulb off with meths or similar... it'll be fine.
Agreed :D

Best cleaning agent for optical stuff if you can get some is IPA (Iso Propyl Alcohol) as it leaves no residue. :D
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Ok Guys, I'll clean the bulb with IPA.

Removed the light for safe keeping.

The reflectors look OK apart from the one water damaged bit at the lower surface.

Also decided to vacuum the boot and interior and give it a clean.

I really like the square shape of the BX boot space.

Anywayz, going to see about tightening up the rearmost mounting bolts of the front sub frame. These are not tight enough but it means removing the carpet at the front foot wells.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Swapping Hydraulic pumps
Out with the old and next to the new.
Can see that the new item is actually the later type as fitted also on XMs (?) and it has a plastic case instead of the steel and of course, it's black not green. however, the pipe inlet/outlets are the same, the fixings are identical and the pulley is the same size and same V groove to simply swap over.

The Plastic cased pump has extra webbing for the inlet pipe connection.

Any Hooooo

Popped the little rascal in place - fairly easy, LHM everywhere despite my best precautionary efforts..

It's just a component but it bugs me that it's not green

Decided to replace the suction pipe clips with a pair of brand new 'Jubilees'
- trying to eliminate all the possible problems of the HP pump drawing air.
-can see that me haz primed the pump manually out of the depth of field of vision.

Next: prime the hose
- this primed LHM was successful as a few bubbles came up after manually winding the pump pulley and the LHM level lowered so it was definitely taking it.

And all tightened up and connected. I had been cautious last time i touched this tensioner of the drive belt not to over stress it but I hear that BXes ought to have the belt 'very' tight - indeed the design of the tensioner adjustment suggests an action for tightening very much. On the CX in comparison, it it the HP pump that is levered against the tension of the pulley - no tensioner so you can only get a 1:1 relationship. But here, the 'high geared' movement of the tensioner against the belt means that levering it out heavily generates a lot of tension in the belt and suggests that's what it wants..

So after some time warming up, getting the pump to settle from a semi primed chatter to a near inaudible rattle and purge any remaining air via the bolt on the regulator I noticed that the hydraulics seemed better. The previous FDV renewal had given some improvement to the constant Hissss and lack of regulator cut out unless revs were applied. Now the regulator clicks with a much more confident CLIK! and the hisss is much much less frequent and shorter than before (so far! but like before, things changed after some time) but the really weird bit was that the 'tick time' has gone mad. It is now astronomically, record - breakingly good. I'd noticed that moving the 'wheel and or moving the suspension took some persistence to get it to cut in again but it would - so that was good. I did therefor let it tick over unattended so as not to move the steering etc, and time the duration between regulator ticks. The best I've ever had was 1'39" on my CX - but it uses a second accumulator for the brakes. Still good though. The BX? I timed a whopping 13 minutes and 54 seconds from one click to the next (yes I did sit there waiting) while idling at a slightly high, 1000rpm. Here is the stop watch:

I think it's unbelieveable! could the accumulator really hold the pressure above 175 bar for all that time? Never seen such action. After timing it, I pumped the brake pedal and counted the number of presses before PRV cut in: 10. this figure is high, but still around the normal, expected value.

Anyway, I think it's steadily improving overall. Next up, the body work needs some (more) attention.

Piece out
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Father Ted

Post by Father Ted »

OreSumm.
Your BX game is strong. :D
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

-Why thank you young sir.

Well recently, with nothing doing on the BX front I got a brain wave - how would the BX look fitted with the stainless steel wheel trims from my CX?

Well here's the answer:

I think it looks quite cool

On low suspension it was oddly reminiscent of the GSA to me

And back on the CX

Whaddya's think?

It just makes me want the original shiny BX alloys even more now..
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
mountainmanUK

Post by mountainmanUK »

I see what ya mean about the GS "similarity" thing!
Personally, I don't think the BX suits them at all! They look right on the CX, but Cyril looks SO much better with the proper jobs!!

Just my opinion, of course!
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Nah, you're right David, they look awkward at least.

Well recently I decided to slap in a pair of new front spheres from GSF. instead of the 400cc/ 55bar/ 1.8damper bleed that a pre Sept '84 is meant to have, I fitted the larger past '84 500cc spheres (pressure and damper the same) as these give a softer 'feel' (tho the spring is identical) as the rate of change of the spring's relative stiffness is shallower when plotted against the wheel vertical travel.

Anyhü

The new beasts.

Of course, I find the compulsion to have shiny balls on display.

So I used the last of the gloss metal protect to make the new pair shiny 8)

Strut tops plugged with kitchen roll (not the still smashed headlight and crap other headlight with black sealant)

Iz me da only playa what finks da sverez looks well wikid whens shiny bling?

Especially when I consider how much like a fine set of big, round boobs they look (though green)

Anyway, installed, primed, bled, made big LHM mess and Citaerobic'd and all is fine and dandy.
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
jonathan_dyane
BXpert

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Aerodynamica wrote: Well recently, with nothing doing on the BX front I got a brain wave - how would the BX look fitted with the stainless steel wheel trims from my CX?
Nooooooo! Ever heard the expression 'the devil makes work for idle hands'? This, I feel illustrates the point impeccably, bad bad bad...

Jonathan, standing up as an active member of the hubcap Stasi.
"Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them." -Charles Bukowski
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Aerodynamica wrote:Especially when I consider how much like a fine set of big, round boobs they look
Hmmmm. I'm trying, really trying to see the similarity. Maybe Scottish women are a different breed? Or maybe I lack worldly experience?

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad