Another low miler

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Well, I wasn't really on about the hundreds of Polos and Fiestas getting traded in, more the Porsche 944s/Jaguar XJ-Ss/Range Rover Vogues/MGBs being traded in for Hyundai i10s...

They all have to have a valid MoT etc, so surely it could be worth it for more valuable classic stuff?
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

I cant see many classics being scrapped to be honest.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

Well, quite a few have been...

But to be fair, a lot of them would have been traded in before the scrappage scheme kicked in, and scrapped by the dealers anyway. Just they will be picked-up on now more than ever.

I still can't believe Hyundai scrapped an Austin 1100! I mean that's in proper classic territory.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Matt H wrote:Well, quite a few have been...

But to be fair, a lot of them would have been traded in before the scrappage scheme kicked in, and scrapped by the dealers anyway. Just they will be picked-up on now more than ever.

I still can't believe Hyundai scrapped an Austin 1100! I mean that's in proper classic territory.
Quite agree but unfortunatly to most car dealers a car is just a product so sentimenatlity doesnt enter into it.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Well, the car's up on eBay this time no reserve but an £800 start. Let's see if that attracts the punters! (given it didn't reach near £800 the last two times it was up)...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

According to the Open University the carbon emissions embodied in a cars manufacturing process are a huge part of its life cycle emissions when compared to just its lifetime running emissions. So by scrapping perfectly good cars (the frugal BX diesels for instance) in favour of modern vehicles with only moderately improved fuel consumption (but with their own embodied energy) - we ain't doin' nuffink for the planet.
I've heard from various places that the emissions produced in making a car by far outstrip the emissions that car will produce in its lifetime. The scrappage scheme completely counters efforts to clean up energy production. I might be being naiive but it seems to me that this has to be a sign of how deep the recession is or will be in a few years. - when the scheme is rolled out so quickly and aggressively to prop up what must be a very fragile economy looking forward.
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
maxgreenwood
BXpert

Post by maxgreenwood »

Forgive my ignorance - this BX16 - would the 1st bid at £800 probably be from the seller or someone linked to them?
'92 16TXS (m), Dark metallic green, 74k
'90 16TZS (m), White, 86k
'89 19TRS auto, Olympic Blue, 133k
'88 Saab 900 8v Turbo (auto) 107k Red with Tan leather, lovely drive and well maintained.
'07 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 CRDi 85k (m). Practical family wagon
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Max - I've followed the sale of this car over the past month and I've been suspicious of the bidding on ebay. I'm glad someone else has noticed.

I believe David Rutherford or the Doc even have a word for such practices? I have one for the seller too, but I wouldn't want to use it on a public forum.

Mind you, it might be that someone is willing to stump-up that kind of cash - I'd pay £800 tops for that car if all of the documentation was in order. The problem for the seller would be trying to sell the car again afterwards, if they end up buying it off of themselves. This car is very well known now!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Cavmad has a technical term for that kind of bidding, and it's reasonably offensive.
this might be a signature
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I don't understand why the seller keeps deluding herself/himself. Put it up for £400 no reserve, I'd say. And maybe get £650. Not the end of the world. :roll: Every time the car appears for auction it's legitimacy gets called into question more.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

I think people "see" that a car could become collectable in the future and try to base their price on that. The trouble is they don't seem to take into account the amount of dedication and raw cash it takes to keep an old car reasonable in the mean time.
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

Its called Schill bidding i.e getting your mate(s) to bid on your stuff to get the best price possible from an unsuspecting genuine bidder.

I am i no way implying that this seller is doing this, just incase someone thinks i am.
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well it's confirmed - something was definitely not right:

http://www.gumtree.com/london/13/41321613.html
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

Back on 'E-Bay'starting at £500 again !
Anne the E-Bay seller wrote:GLOBES AND HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT PERFECT
Globes :roll: and what was it last week Spears :lol:

But still hasn't sorted out the less than perfect passenger seat Fabric/match though ?
Anne the E-Bay seller from previous E-bay listing wrote:Question & Answers from other members:-

Q: Hi - why is the seat a different colour/pattern please? 10-Jun-09
A: hi there the original seat was badly damaged and this was the nearest we could get anne

Q: Hi! Does the car have remote central locking? 06-Jun-09
A: No central locking is via the key it does have an alarm fitted by citroen which is an extra thanks anne
Also the current listing has only three photo shots but the listings/ad remains the same so is a bit confusing if its the first time someone has viewed this particular BX on e-bay so you need to look at the FIRST-TIME it was listed to see what there referring to.

Also still on GUMTREE with no mention of different/incorrect passenger seat fitted :!:
MaFry

Post by MaFry »

Hi looked at this car a few months ago they wanted £1100, wouldn't take an offer. In mint condition in and out but spheres needed doing on the front. As we already have a low mileage petrol bx we didn't go for it. Got the diesel auto from Ken instead.