Burnt down 16V BX

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
mechuccio

Burnt down 16V BX

Post by mechuccio »

Hi all,

I'm new here but a big fan of BX's especcially 16V types.

I'll introduce myself shortly, my name is Tonie and I'm Dutch (yes, the weird type) sorry about that but I'm quite enjoying myself anywhere I go :lol:

Anyhow, I drive a Mark2 16V, imported from Belgium so without a cat (the mice are running wildly underneath the bonnet, that's just how it is!
My 16V has got a full leahter interior, on board computer (without the flow meter so no chance of a fire there...... :lol:) and I installed a 6-speed gearbox of a Peugeot 306 GTI, runs like a charm with it.

I really enjoy working on BXes, any types, and making them better whenever I get the chance and my latest project was building one good valver from two bad valvers (one burnt down valver and one with a busted engine)

Some of you might know me from the bx16V.co.uk forum, as for the rest....... Hi everybody!

Here are the pictures, some movies and offcourse comments:

It was quite a job but it all came together very nicely and the new car is running like a charm with the engine out of the burnt car.
She ran nice and easy after the first trial, we just needed to place some fluid gasket between the cilinderhead and the thermostate housing because she was leaking. When that was sorted out it was time for the first run.
Happily there is just one thing we need to take care of, the "coolant-level" sensor keeps telling us that we need to check the coolant level. Some times it flicks of and sometime the lights are on. Must be some crummy contact or something. We'll check that out later. First it's time to enjoy......... :D

Here are some pics and movies to give an impression of the work we did:

(all pictures clickable)

Getting the engine out of the burnt car:

Building the engine in the new car:

The "new" engine waiting in the background to be mounted

Taking out the gearbox.

Got it!

Nice and empty

The two engines together

The "new" engine being fitted with some new parts and parts of the old engine

Busted engine is being ripped :P

Alternator and some tubes and hoses fitted

Timing belt placed and covered.

Putting the car back together

Image.

And some movies:

First test run

First driving

First beating :wink:
You can't spell slaughter without laughter
citronut
Over 2k

Post by citronut »

hi mechuccio
and welcome

keep up the good work,

is it not possible to lower the complete engine and box down past the sub frame on a VALVER, as i have done this a few times on diesel and petrol BX's, but not tried it on a 16V,

i only ask because it would be a lot easyer to remove/fit the gear box with the hole lot out of the car

regards malcolm
curent ride
K reg BX 17TD TZD est
also own
K reg D special

no longer have
H reg CX saffari 2.5 TRI (now gone to Malaysia)
R reg xantia 1.9TD est (gone to meet its maker)
mechuccio

Post by mechuccio »

Well, that could be possible, but you would need to remove the hydraulic tubes from the powersteering and lift the car.

The engine itself is the same size as any 1.9 XU engine, just the cilinderhead is much larger.

But I must say that using the enginelift was realy easy and fast, we took out the engine, took off the timingbelt tensioners, waterpump, clutch, all sensors, tubes and hoses. Built those on the engine out of the burnt car and built in the engine again. That took us one day, it was just getting too dark when we wanted to place the inlet manifold and driveshafts so we had to wait with that for the day after.
Also when using the lift you can steer the engine very easy so for instance reconnecting the exhaust to the manifold is much easier as you can turn and move the engine as you like without any effort.

I must have one of those! This one we rented but now I know how easy and handy they are I just need one :D
mechuccio

Post by mechuccio »

Oh and removing only the gearbox is no problem, just unscrew it and drop it down. That's no problem at all.
Even the 6-speed gearbox I've got in my own valver which is much larger will drop down easily!
Magpi
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Magpi »

really nice work

only problem i see if the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

how long all up did it take you to get it on the road
mechuccio

Post by mechuccio »

the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car
ahahaha :lol: yeah we've noticed indeed, but instead of fixing that we've decided that it would be easier to get everybody driving on the wrong side of the road as well. :wink:

But it took us all in all 2 days.

Half a day getting the engine out of the burnt car, then some time to clean it as there was a powder extinguisher used to put out the fire.
and allmost a day and a half (starting at 9 in the morning and finishing at 9 in the evening the first day and a couple of hours the next day) te take the engine out and placing as much components as possible without really opening up the engine to the engine from the burnt car.

allmost all hoses and sensors on the engine got damaged in the fire and now as it seems the rear camshaft as wel, it's a bit bent possibly due to it heating up very fast and cooling down again very fast. The end where the pully that drives the hydraulic pump is mounted is a bit bent so we'll have to exchange that too as soon as possible.
Luckily we've got some cams for spares and it's not that hard of a job.