Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Team Green Tiger - BX19TGD - Back on the road

Post by Dollywobbler »

When I first heard about the BXagon challenge, I started to feel the need to get myself another BX, and it seemed like an ideal excuse! Meeting folks at the CCC meet at Wood Green made me more determined and when a 2CVGB fellow member expressed an interest, I headed to Ebay, found a BX locally and bought it.

That was probably a fair price. It's got MoT until May but needed tax. Rear arm bearings are shot, it sprung a major LHM leak within a few days and the accumulator needs replacing. Problems with my other two classics mean the BX has been put into mainstream daily service - in the past week, it's clocked up 500 miles. It's also performed to tow jobs that it probably shouldn't have...

Still, I've found time to ignore the LHM leak it still has (well, it's only dribbling) and got arty!

Team Green Tiger is go!

More obviously to follow once I get the ol' girl service and then throughout the trip. I should point out that it's currently my intention to keep the BX after the rally. I do like it...
Last edited by Dollywobbler on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Superb! Reminds me of Daktari! (Maybe you have aspirations to do an African Rally?) :lol:

You do need to get the BXagon stickers on there too!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Now with even more stickers as Royal Mail have finally decided to deliver them! Thanks Phil.

Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looking good mate, make sure you get to the bottom of that LHM leak before you head for France!
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Will do. It's booked in with Barry Annells next week for a service and check-over, including replacing the accumulator.

Mind you, I do quite like saying "My BX has blown an octopus" for purely childish reasons...
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Dollywobbler

If the LHM leak is at he rear drivers side it is probably the little T piece above the rear subframe.

these are available from citroen but they want £23.00
if you can get your hands on some plastic or nylon washer T peices and some nitrile rubber tube ( reistant to LHM) 3.5 to 4mm id.

Use about 50 mm on each leg of the T Piece plug in the pipes and tuck it up and secure with a cable tie.

As for the accumilator i have just fitted a xantia accumilator and it has transformed the ride of the Green Hornet.

Nice Transfers i thought the Green Hornet stood out from the crowd but you have taken that from us

Regards Phil AKA Kermit the frog
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
kermit the frog
BXpert

Hi Dollywobbler

If the LHM leak is at he rear drivers side it is probably the little T piece above the rear subframe.

these are available from citroen but they want £23.00
if you can get your hands on some plastic or nylon washer T peices and some nitrile rubber tube ( reistant to LHM) 3.5 to 4mm id.

Use about 50 mm on each leg of the T Piece plug in the pipes and tuck it up and secure with a cable tie.

As for the accumilator i have just fitted a xantia accumilator and it has transformed the ride of the Green Hornet.

Nice Transfers i thought the Green Hornet stood out from the crowd but you have taken that from us

Regards Phil AKA Kermit the frog
kermit the frog
BXpert

OOPS Don't know what idid there :oops:
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Thanks. Leak is at the front, behind the RH wheel somewhere - ie close to the bulkhead.

The ride is a touch crashy at times. Wonder if the new accumulator will improve that... (it's great over Fenland roads though!)
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

The Green Tiger has been serviced by Barry Annells, and is now ready to go! The hideous LHM leak turned out to be nothing but a very small leak from a narrow return pipe near the reservoir. The leak was dribbling down the pipework all the way to the bulkhead, hence suspecting something nastier! A result.

Acculumator has been changed and fresh oil and filters fitted. Is it nearly time to go yet? :D

Oh, Barry did give one very useful bit of advice. Take a RHD clutch cable. Something that WILL be a challenge to find in France. Anyone taking a spare? Don't think we all need one!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Good heads up about RHD specific items. (Same goes for speedo cables and what about throttle cables?)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Well, aside from that coolant leak and an occasional failure to start (once as I was trying to leave home, once in Limoux) she clocked up the miles with no issues, proving what a wonderful motor she is.

So, she's finally getting the rear arm bearings replaced! Might have to do one at a time for financial/time reasons, but the RH one was causing much merriment amongst the BXagon competitors, so is probably the priority...

She's still striped up and now sharing the commute with my 2CV. I'd like to keep her for a fair ol' while and such is the desirability of these cars that my co-driver has now bought a BX too. Nice one Matt!
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Bearing repair. A million thanks to Barry Annells for still carrying out the work even though I idiotically turned up a day early...

Something missing...

Mullered bearing (the other one disintegrated during removal!)

Yup, that'll be mullered too...

Shiny new things!

Back end now smooth and silent once more!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I wouldn't be surprised if those were the original bearings fitted to the car, so i guess even though they are shagged & it bits, they did well :lol:

Glad you've got one side sorted, does the other side need doing as well? I guess there are 2 trains of thought, if one side needs doing & as long as the others side are the same vintage, then they'll be more than likely in the same condition, but if they aren't leaning or creaking, then perhaps best to leave alone until they start? I think malcolm mentioned that they may not lean if the bearings move to a certain position within the arm?? not sure how common this is, but you would have thought it would make a lot of noise whilst being driven?
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

We checked the other arm for play. Seems fine and looks like it's been replaced at some point, so left it as is.