NOT another HP pump question...

Frequently asked technical questions and common modifications/improvements
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

an HP pump answer :) . Partial answer anway.

Dunno if you are like me, but nothing attracts me more than totally pointless challenges. Particularly if I've got plenty of other highly useful things to do. I've got a brand new pump on my only BX, so what the hell would I want to be opening the old one up for ?

Well, because it's there, and I've never opened it up before...

As it happens, it's surprisingly easy, and I wish I had tried before shelling out on the new pump.

First off, you need a special extractor tool to get the pulley off.

I used an Aldi fake Dremel, an old jack and two lengths of mild steel bar to make mine :

Into a big vice, and wind away !

The pulley came off with surprising ease :

Next up, following the mad Frenchman's method, I tried whacking the shaft with a big hammer to get the cover off : bad idea. It fattens the end of the shaft, which then sticks in the roller bearing. I would strongly advise making a second extractor tool to get a grip on the casing. In my case, the first tool was luckily easily adaptable :

So out comes the shaft. Be careful not to loose the small bits inside the pistons if they should fall out. Then you might want to get the ball-bearing out, you'll need a drift for this, about 18mm diameter :

Then, to separate the two machined blocks, there are 5 5mm allen screws :

Which gives you this :

Here you can see the wear on the bottom side of the valve disc :

This is what you find inside the pistons :

And here is an overall view of the innards :

The only thing I didn't bother taking out was the needle bearing, it would be simple to drift out :

If your pump is leaking at the pulley end, this is probably the cause :

an o-ring roughly ID 25mm OD 32mm. It would probably be possible to find a replacement.

The big case joint might be more difficult to replace. Silicone might be an answer (it's on the low pressure side of the pump), or at worst, maybe welding the case to the body ?

Conclusion, it is most definitely possible to convert an HP pump from a low-mileage non-PAS petrol-engined car for use in a high-mileage PAS diesel car.

It might even be possible to recondition worn pumps by flipping over the valve discs, any volunteers :) ?
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Nice work! Great pictures too!
Suspect we'll move this over to the FAQ forum to be immortilised.

I've got about 5 cajillion dead HP pumps, time to pull them apart I think!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Aerodynamica
BXpert

Post by Aerodynamica »

Excellent work there - any new thoughts on the failure points? piston springs? disk seats etc?
Graeme M

CX 2400 Pallas LPG
2CV6 dolly (SORNed)
Mk1 Xantia 1.9TD SX

'c'est hydropneumatique'
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Nice one, many thanks for sharing.

I'm going to have to open a photobucket account and sort this picture posting malarkey out!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
GeZ

Post by GeZ »

Excellent!!!! many thanks as my valver after all the systems I've overhauled needs also a new pump in order to have a brand new hydropneumatic system (extremely difficult to find here in greece, I bought one a year ago luckily) so I will use this method for my old pump!!!!
Simon B
BXpert

Re: NOT another HP pump question...

Post by Simon B »

cauchoiskev wrote:an HP pump answer :) . Partial answer anway.

Conclusion, it is most definitely possible to convert an HP pump from a low-mileage non-PAS petrol-engined car for use in a high-mileage PAS diesel car.

It might even be possible to recondition worn pumps by flipping over the valve discs, any volunteers :) ?
Any thoughts on whether one could move the insides of a new diesel HP pump (still available ?) into the body of a failed petrol HP pump. :-k
Have
1971 Dyane - This IS the ONE :D
2006 C5 Exclusive V6
Had
Xantia, BX19 GTI, Dyane, BX14RE, AX, 2 x Visa 652, Dyane
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Simon B wrote: Any thoughts on whether one could move the insides of a new diesel HP pump (still available ?) into the body of a failed petrol HP pump. :-k
I can see no reason why you can't do diesel->petrol conversions. The reason I mentioned petrol->diesel is that it's far easier to find a low-mileage petrol pump than a diesel one. The whole idea is to avoid having to buy a new pump, but what you mention could certainly be done if you want to.

Forget about new pumps from Citroën : they're about 2000 quid !
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

Aerodynamica wrote:Excellent work there - any new thoughts on the failure points? piston springs? disk seats etc?
No radically new thoughts TBH Graeme. I've never heard of spring failure, only sticking pistons. Possibly fixable, but would it be worth it ?

As for the disc seats, maybe grinding using the unused side of an old valve disc fixed on the end of a dremel with polishing paste ?

Another thing that could be tried would be polishing the pistons and the bores. I have seen a theory on a French forum that micro-scratches are what cause leak-back, rather than simple "wear". The idea seems to be that there is always a small gap between the piston and the bore, even new, which allows lubrication. Scratches break the film of LHM and cause a leakage. Pourquoi pas ? Would be worth a try, I think.

Apart from that, pump failure comes from leakage at the pulley or ball-bearing wear. No mystery there. BTW, I have got the SKF reference for the bearing somewhere, I will look it out.
Muiruri
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Muiruri »

Feeling inspired by Cauchoiskev I pulled apart one of my failed pumps and ended up with this:-

The disk seats were worn out. I therefore took this piece (below) to a local engineer for skimming. From the grooves arrowed it was a bit tilted after the job. I greased the big bearing on the pulley end in situ. It can easily be removed though. Image

I flipped over the valve discs since one side was worn out, assembled my pump and apprehensively tested it on the bench. It worked! I was feeling on cloud nine!:D I fixed it on the BX and it worked. It is very quiet and efficient.

One can actually recondition an old pump and get away with it.

Regards,

Sammy Muiruri
Sammy Muiruri

1988 BX 19 GTi
1976 GS club
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

what a smashing thread - thanks folks.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
rayfenwick
1K Away

Post by rayfenwick »

Very good work - I wish I was more mechanically minded - must start practising.
Ray

The Fleet (most recent first):
2000 Citroën XM 3.0 24V V6 Exclusive Auto (pre-MOT)
1997 Citroën XM 2.0 TCT Exclusive Auto (for sale)
1979 Citroën CX 2.4 EI Cmatic Prestige (slowly being restored)

1992 Alfa Romeo 164 Lusso 3.0 v6 12v Manual (on the to-do list)

www.citroencarclub.co.uk
Odedn
My Cars: BX

Post by Odedn »

Hi,
My pump is leaking badly.
I should replace the seal, probably.
Does anyone have any photos regarding to how dismantle the pump ?
The photos in this thread are no longer link into.
I would appriciate your assitence.
Thanks,
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

an HP pump answer :) . Partial answer anway.

Dunno if you are like me, but nothing attracts me more than totally pointless challenges. Particularly if I've got plenty of other highly useful things to do. I've got a brand new pump on my only BX, so what the hell would I want to be opening the old one up for ?

Well, because it's there, and I've never opened it up before...

As it happens, it's surprisingly easy, and I wish I had tried before shelling out on the new pump.

First off, you need a special extractor tool to get the pulley off.

I used an Aldi fake Dremel, an old jack and two lengths of mild steel bar to make mine :
IMG_3595.JPG
Into a big vice, and wind away !
IMG_3597.JPG
The pulley came off with surprising ease :
IMG_3604.JPG
Next up, following the mad Frenchman's method, I tried whacking the shaft with a big hammer to get the cover off : bad idea. It fattens the end of the shaft, which then sticks in the roller bearing. I would strongly advise making a second extractor tool to get a grip on the casing. In my case, the first tool was luckily easily adaptable :
IMG_3610.JPG
So out comes the shaft. Be careful not to loose the small bits inside the pistons if they should fall out. Then you might want to get the ball-bearing out, you'll need a drift for this, about 18mm diameter :
IMG_3615.JPG
Then, to separate the two machined blocks, there are 5 5mm allen screws :
IMG_3617.JPG
Which gives you this :
IMG_3618.JPG
Here you can see the wear on the bottom side of the valve disc :
IMG_3619.JPG
This is what you find inside the pistons :
IMG_3621.JPG
And here is an overall view of the innards :
IMG_3622.JPG
(to be continued...)
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

(...continued)

The only thing I didn't bother taking out was the needle bearing, it would be simple to drift out :
IMG_3624.JPG
If your pump is leaking at the pulley end, this is probably the cause :
IMG_3625.JPG
an o-ring roughly ID 25mm OD 32mm. It would probably be possible to find a replacement.

The big case joint might be more difficult to replace. Silicone might be an answer (it's on the low pressure side of the pump), or at worst, maybe welding the case to the body ?