My completed NZ BX16v Phase 2 Restoration!

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

My completed NZ BX16v Phase 2 Restoration!

Post by NZ16v »

PART1
So here we are. Complete rebuild from the ground up-all gaskets, bearings,rings etc. Around $1500 worth of parts. Ouch. Plus engineers costs. No corrosion around gasket, little bit around the block, but all cleaned up.Valves were mint, as were pistons, liners, camshafts and crank. A bit of polishing here and there, but that was about it. Amazing for a 165000 mile engine. Liners re-honed no problems, everything went back together sweet as a nut. Thermostat ferked, radiator ferked, several hoses ferked,oil filler ferked-not anymore thanks to pete. Got mint set of rad hoses from OZ,and other stuff.Cleaned and repainted block, inlet manifolds,and other bits, and got cam cover sandblasted and powdercoated back to factory.

heres a few more earlier pics of reassembly....mostly thanks to my old man, who realised quite quickly that us workin on it only on weekends would result in gettin it finished around 2018! So he has reassembled bits and bobs during the week, after my frantic cleaning,polishing and reassembling in weekends

freshly rebuilt bottom end, all mint, bit of polishing, bit of measuring, all good with new bearings and seals

and cleaned and re-honed liners, with inspected and rebuilt pistons.choice

and cleaned and polished top end.Came up mint too

cleaned valves, needed nothing,measured em up, inspected em, all minter.LOLed at my dads bit of cardboard.works tho.and they went back in as they came out.

All in all, very happy! Havent forked over a fortune to a rebuilder, and havent done excessive amounts that didnt need doin. These engines are AMAZINGLY built, well lubricated, over engineered minters.

Heres the engine about to have camcover refitted
freshly sandblasted cam cover-magnesium rough as guts, was gonna grind 16v logo back, but gave up-coating got into the crappy casting and was gonna take forever, so went with good old silver pen!
Engine almost done...

Painted ugly corroded gearbox end-will get everything plated on next one...
Here is the rooted heatertap.So clogged with crap it couldnt move more than 3mm.Lesson-keep water filled with antifreeze, use regular like, and dont let contaminants in.
Engine 99% there, pretty much ready to go in....
This is what you have to do to really get at the heater assembly-without removing dash.Might as well have in hindsight! Still wary as to whether
the dials actually work, so will put engine in and running,and get heater bits in to check it all before reassembling dash etc

Was aiming to have car to painter by mid april hopefully. Not :)
Last edited by NZ16v on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
one thing better than owning a 16v-owning TWO 16vs
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

PART2- paint!

Well ,here she is at the shop, all the rust is out, shes blocked out, and ready for paint....needed left rear hinge and corner completely replaced due to massive rust from some monkey installing a roof rack incorrectly. And bad rust under water bottles, surprise surprise.
choice
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

Part3- Paint done

fark she was dusty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cleaned her up a bit, still have a few bits to give a lick to, rear vents, heater vents, etc, but all good. Got the seats out,cleaned em up, will go back  and wetndry them next weekend.
here are the black 17s, should look beaut with them on. Looking at some tints too, and citroen centrecaps for the wheels-geeky i know,but want it just right
Sunroof is completely rebuilt, ready to go in, a few bits in bobs to take care of as she is put back together- Bluetooth headunit, all micced up etc

All speakers-building flush mount sub enclosure for bootfloor, as have got a shallow sub-no critics please, i know they have their shortfalls, but i dont want a massive box ruining my car!
New central locking system ala jaycar-works fine on my current whip,so in she goes
ipod dock hidden into clock tray-this is a maybe, might just stick with glovebox.tbc
rustproof and seal complete underneath of car
paint calipers,put citroen logos on em
Other whip should have bumpers sorted soon, will get her off the road for some ,loving over the xmas break.
Last edited by NZ16v on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

Part4-reassembly
here are some pics, made up custom pods for the front splits and 6x9s, and the tweeters (out of spare covers). Ran untold wires too, for front two channel amp and rear four channel to run rears and flat sub.
And the interior is pretty much in, got the roof in and on yesterday avo, sunroof works mint, drain hoses were a real prick to get back in. Dad has been UNBELIEVEABLE, and he will probably be pottering away during the week on it.
Just put a coat of rustoleum onto the bootfloor to tidy it up, had a rear shunt at some stage and was badly repaired/painted, all sorted now.
Bring on the bodywork! And lights! And windscreen in! And alloys...and painted calipers...and a full polish......and stereo installation.....feck still a bit to go.
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

Part5-finished

Ok folks, here she is, finally finished.

Well,actually still has a few paint blemishes, and the alloys are ferking hopeless, need a lighter set, but look the biz! Spent hours waxing her today, and got some shots off!

Overall, pretty wrapped, speshly when you see the state she was in over a year ago. Took waaaaay longer than expected, but meh.

Props to all for motivation from www.fastfrogs.co.nz, and www.bx16v.co.uk

So here is hopefully the bestest 16v in the land.....ENJOY

Choice.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing that with us!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Crikey, great stuff! Inspiring.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Hats off to you mate that does look the muts nutts!

I take it they are black out headlamp protectors then as you I know its always sunny in NZ but even so! :lol:
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Good god, I'm nursing a semi mate!

Thats gorgeous..
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

Wow!
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
roody262
Confirmed BX'er

Post by roody262 »

docchevron wrote:Good god, I'm nursing a semi mate!

Thats gorgeous..
Gonna have to agree, that is one amazing looking car. Don't think anyone could disagree! This has to have set a bench mark for any other BX over haul!
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

thanks for all the fantastic responses chaps!

Still a few things to fiddle with- gonna put a momo wheel on, not happy with the other one.
Also putting my ipod dock into the pocket under the radio, never get to it in the glovebox.
Fuel rail and other engine bits and bobs will be factory plated, they missed out on the last job lot.
Will eventually get my original alloys refinished, for concourse/citroen meets etc.

Also have a P1 i am slowly turning into a fire-breathing street/track car. Have the throttlebodies and cams to go in, but its a big undertaking, with a full rebuild first. Want over 200hp at the fly, so is a fair way away yet!

Also anyone is welcome to shift this to a different section-its just there isnt a 'projects' section so i chucked it here!
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Yes, very impressive indeed. Hats off to you. As you do mention its state before you started, any chance of a pic for the before and after comparison?
Looks as though you're in The Citroen 'game' with all those 2Cvs parked about the place.
From where did you source items like the new cooling hose set you mention - must be double hard out there. Perhaps with Citroen connections? :D ( I also noted the toilet : one door for customers, one for staff. So is possibly a Citroen garage?)
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

Cooling hose set came off a VERY low mileage 16v in OZ, they are mint.

And yes it is a citroen garage- my dad was a mechanic for over 40 years, so knows a fair bit about the marque! He retired in '04, and had the front half converted to a couple of shops-video store and Subway, and that pays for the huge workshop for playing out the back.

He now is restoring cars for a couple of people, in his own time. Currently has the following in various stages of restoration- a rare 2CV panel van, amazing L15, MK2 Jag, DS21 Pallas, and an Mi16 i am pulling apart! Oh and his own BX16v, which is due for a pulldown and freshen up too.

He had never had to pull apart a 16v in his time as a mech, and only one BX at all, they were so reliable! So pulling one down was a learning experience for him too!
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

here are some before pics, as she was being pulled down-only had the car a day before it blew up, so no pics of her as one piece. You get an idea of the paint etc though!