My new BX GTI-couple of pics

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

My new BX GTI-couple of pics

Post by NZ16v »

Here we are, she is a really early GTI, 87 to be exact. Got her for a song, but she has a bad miss on no.2 cylinder.No shit on the plug, and the injector doesnt fire, so we are thinking its a faulty wire/ecu, TBC.

Also, knackered spheres,tyres and sunroof. Will all be remedied!

Idea is to tidy up, sell onto enthusiast

So her she is after a quick clean, as i got her

And here is what i want her to look like, once i am done, all specced up

Just a good cut and polish, bit of rust repair, sanding and boggin, and some nice gloss black.
one thing better than owning a 16v-owning TWO 16vs
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

'87 ECU may use, amongst many other things, a transistor called a BC107.

Although PSA are pretty good with the use of conformal coating (that's the laquer coat over the electronics) they may not have been using it in '87 - or they may have missed a bit. It's a big 'if' but worth checking after you've measured the resistance or otherwise checked the injector.

BC107 is a small metal canned transistor with the metal case connected to the collector. It's problem is that it is tin plated.

Funny stuff tin ! In a moist environment and with voltages on the transistor it's quite common for crystals of tin to grow between the case and one of the other connections - base or emitter - shorting out the transistor and stopping it working - this is particularly true of the BC107 (and BC108, BC109 etc) because the leads are very close to the can.

If you suspect a BC107 unsolder it from the board, scrape with a scalpel or fine knife between the leads and the case (you'll only see the whiskers of tin under a microscope or very strong magnifier) and resolder the transistor back in the board.
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

thank you very much! Still havent made it back to where it is stored, but will back in that neck of the woods next week finally...a new baby does funny things to the time/space continuum, seem to have lost the past month somewhere!
NZ16v
Confirmed BX'er

Post by NZ16v »

soooo, heres the deal.

Firstly, this is a VERY early GTI-86-87, with the L3jetronic system, which is rare as fark here in NZ, and we dont have parts for it, and the GTI engine we DO have, doesnt match the ECU, Injection loom, inlet, yadda yadda yadda...

By today, she had its complete injection loom tidied up and rewired-new injection plugs, new sparkplug on no.3 cylinder just in case-checked and sparking sweet, checked and replaced dizzy cap and rotor, replaced fuel rail, replaced injectors- checked and firing...

NOTHING.

Dad was stumped-had fuel, air and spark, WTF? So the head came off,along with all other required bits-PITA, but we discovered this...

The miss on the third cylinder turned out to be a MISSING CAM LOBE of all things- worn completely off due to old oil!!!

On a positive note, we have found a new camshaft, which will go into her shortly, and hopefully we can get her running again, and someone can have a great first car
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Looking good mate, you SURE about the black paint? The early P1 GTis are very rare now and that one looks pretty straight.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Roverman wrote:Looking good mate, you SURE about the black paint? The early P1 GTis are very rare now and that one looks pretty straight.
Thats the second time i've seen you reference that Tim, so I do have to ask what makes this a P1 GTi???

Obviously we have P1 and P2 16v's (of which this is neither)...

Also we have Mk1 & Mk2 BX's in general (indicators, PRN etc. denoting the change).

IIRC the only Mk1 was a GT (of which you own).

So, this just looks like a regular 8v GTi to me in the only guise they were made (Mk2).

Or is there something i'm missing :?:
I have zero patience for your tedium.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

The Mk 2 was 'facelifted' in 1990, when the smoked rear lights came in. So did the plastic covered pipework. The GTi was launched in this pre-facelift form with Jetronic injection. Later the GTi acquired in addition to the new rear lights, and split rear seat etc. of the range-wide Mk 2 updates, a chin spoiler, colour coded bumpers, and Motronic.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Ahhhhh, "I see" said the blind man...

My first 8v GTi had Jetronic, G128OHO iirc (memory's getting slack now)
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Philip Chidlow wrote:The Mk 2 was 'facelifted' in 1990, when the smoked rear lights came in. So did the plastic covered pipework. The GTi was launched in this pre-facelift form with Jetronic injection. Later the GTi acquired in addition to the new rear lights, and split rear seat etc. of the range-wide Mk 2 updates, a chin spoiler, colour coded bumpers, and Motronic.

What he says, theres not much difference between the P1 (late 86-early 90) and P2 90-93 asides trim and different fuel injection, its easy to convert a P1 to look like a P2 if you paint the bumpers, fit a splitter and the smoked lamp lenses and different wheel trims (the optional alloys were the same on both models being 5.5J Speedlines). The very early ones had a black chevron patterened velour trim (similar to a mk1 gt and CX turbo), the later ones had a striped pattern cloth (mistral) which is harder wearing.

Cant remember the last time I saw an early GTi asides the one that Mr Rugg had.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
JayW
1K Away

Post by JayW »

Took a bit of hunting through the archives but found the only remaining pics of it I have...

It was scabby and had dents all over the place but i loved it and none of my mates could keep up in their family barges...

According to DVLA it's never been re-taxed since i sold it in 2001, so it's either sat somewhere rotting or much more likely been scrapped without paperwork :cry:
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

:shock:
small world!
Smiffy's old valver was *I think* G127 OHO, that got nicked from the farm by some thieving fucking arsepiece...
Had my fucking engine in it aswell....
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...