V. Cheap bx 14 Preview Berline London

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
scarecrow

V. Cheap bx 14 Preview Berline London

Post by scarecrow »

White - looks okay - owner says it needs a tune-up. I reckon it might be had for a couple of hundred if you're cheeky :wink:

EDIT: :oops: http://www.gumtree.com/london/63/667480 ... 438-london
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Looks quite good Steve - apart from the carb problems ? (he's fixed everything else so I'ts likely the carb) - thought you already had one of those :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Getting delivered shortly.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Well done Richard. I agree with Brian, it sounds like Carb problems. I thought it looked in damn fine condition and would have snaffled it if I had a farm 8)

Edit: I do indeed Brian, But mine is only really a problem starting when hot (in hot weather) and just lately I've noticed it starts okay in the cold mornings but dies after a couple of seconds for the first three attempts, then it's fine! It's galvanised my resolve to get the Weber reconditioned and then slapped on in place of that nasty old Solex.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

You may recall from previous "technical" topics that the owner is a member of the forum.In talking with Simon it has deeper issues regarding smoking and he feels it may be the head gasket at fault although rings/stem seals etc have also been mentioned.It was on Ebay previousely and i missed out ,but i bid what i thought it was worth etc, anyway we will see when it gets here as to whether a top end rebuild/another lump etc is the order of the day but its a bonny thing with loads of T&T .
I will report back in due course,Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Oh - I do remember now :oops: Still if you can rustle up a decent fix it will make a lovely car. The 14s are underrated, in my opinion. They are lighter and more responsive to drive and there's a lot more space to work in the engine bay. But I'm preaching to the converted.

Having said all that, I would love a phase 1 19rd
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Nice one Richard, keep us posted.
Vauxhall apologist.
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

Yep no problem, I love the little 14,s. Im not into razzed up Valvers .They have a purity to them and apart from obvious dissadvantages like no PAS,and running out of legs on the motorways, they have a punchy little engine and with there low gearing are great for the hills and country lanes round me in Yorkshire.Pictures on arrival.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Mine goes like stink on the motorway - I've been up to 80 a couple of times :oops: but it sits at 70 comfortably enough...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Mine seems quite happy cruising at 80mph all day (in France, of course, milord :wink: ), but it does start to drink the fuel a bit at that speed! A good balance of speed & economy seems to be 65-70, which is why I still prefer the GS for motorway work - it seems to use the same no of gallons per hour whatever the speed you travel at :?
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Stinkwheel
1K Away

Post by Stinkwheel »

dissadvantages like no PAS,and running out of legs on the motorways
PAS a disadvantage? Hmmmm i see it as a bonus, nothing to go wrong there you see :)

As for running out of legs, depends, as citsncycles says 80mph is happy. Mine will do over a ton if you want it too, and happily, but really wants another gear at that speed. (all tested on local airfield occifer)

I actually consider it the perfect daily BX as its light and peppy unlike the 17D i once had, which was great on fuel but SLOW!!!!
Doctor Of Gonzo Journalism!!!
93 BX TZD Estate
90 BX 14TE St Tropez
93 BX 19 TXD Estate
92 BX 16TXi
77 Ami 8 Break
79 Acadiane
81 Dyane6
84 2CV6
85 GSA saloon rally car
To slightly mis-quote Kitch ... "BX 14. They're just brilliant!"