Mat's BX Blog

Tell us about life with your BX, or indeed life in general!
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Dollywobbler wrote:the 2CV didn't like the big hill going up north!
Would that be from Dinas Mawddwy to Dolgellau?

Yes, it would clock up the miles rather quickly - good job I'm not thinking of selling it as it's already done 190k! TBH, although the new job would be better pay, what price can you put on your way of life? Anyway, it's early days yet...

It drove really nicely this morning, I hadn't noticed the gradual deterioration in the ride. Pop over and get yours done! I noticed the first grit on the roads this year, so waxoyled just in time!

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

That'll be the one Mat. Very steep!

I will come over and play axle arms at some point. May have to factor in the actual arm removal as I can't see me getting a chance to do it at the moment. My new garage seems full of small cars...

Must get the anti-rust stuff out myself. BX windscreen is filthy as I've just driven back to the east. Yuck.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Had a spot of rain today. In fact I've never seen the rivers as high as they were this evening - had to battle through floods 18" deep at one point on the way home. It was quite disconcerting as the river had flooded over the road, and the current was pushing the car (slightly!) sideways.
Prior to that, on a busier part of my journey (I didn't see any other vehicles attempt the river) I stopped to help a Maserati which was running very roughly. Turned out that the ECU refused to let him select any gear after going through a flood, and the engine would only keep running if he had his foot on the throttle. Then, as I was about to give him a lift to the nearest phone box (no mobile coverage) it let him go into first, so he limped on at about 20mph! The only problems I had were slipping drive belt, and a juddering clutch, both of which only lasted a short while.

Strangely the height adjustment lever felt a lot smoother than usual after the water - maybe tomorrow it will have rusted solid? It's not as if it could be stiff from lack of use, as I operate it at least twice a day...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
electrokid
1K Away

Post by electrokid »

Yeah that does sound a bit damp :-)

Last time I went through a flood was a couple of years ago - though I don't use it regularly I was surprised how instinctively my hand went straight for the height adjust. I had a slipping belt too - at first I presumed it was the alternator which is low down and therefore likely to get a drenching but then the stop light came on blinking a bit - maybe LHM was a bit low - can't remember doing anything about it. It's a good feeling though - no HT leads to short out and knowing it's high enough to get through :-)
1992 BX19 TGD estate 228K Rusty - SORNed
2002 C5 HDi SX estate
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

You've just reminded me. The Green Tiger doesn't like wading as the pump belt always slips. Intermittent PAS is not fun! Quick blat of revs usually stops it squealing...
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Had a bit of a rattle from the rear - had a look and it turned out the exhaust hanger had snapped off! Not rusted through, but actually snapped off.

Oh well, a bit of welding will keep me warm in the snow...
(I've taken the week off to do jobs I need to catch up with, one of them being putting up fences. But the ground is too hard to dig. Bugger.)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I know how that is, I've been pick axing bits of frozen mud off our new concrete floor!

Not uncommon for the hanger to smap off, it's a silly bit of design, I've taken to welding the hanger to a piece of 3MM plate about 4" x4" and welding that to the inner wing, stops the flexing that causes the rot in the wing that leads to the hanger falling off through rot.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote: I've taken the week off to do jobs I need to catch up with, one of them being putting up fences. But the ground is too hard to dig. Bugger.
:) Snap, I was supposed to be putting a new perimeter fence up this week but would need a jack hammer to do it, I've had to give up but not before spraining my wrist :(
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I did manage to do a spot of planned work though - put a couple of gates up this morning.

The posts themselves have only been in for about 11 months, there's no sense in rushing the job is there?

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

You must let the post's settle in before you hang gates on them or they might move and then they won't be as level as you have got them.
As you say no point in doing today what can wait 11 months.
Crackin set of gates by the way Matt.

Regards Kermit/Phil
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Thanks. I was rather relieved to find that we had put them in the right distance apart - the posts are about 4 feet deep so would be a mammoth task to reposition them!

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Hi Matt
4 feet deep and 11 months to settle they aint going anywhere.
As you say it would have been a monumental disaster if you had got the measurements wrong. :wink:

Regards Kermit/Phil
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Wooscary
BXpert

Post by Wooscary »

I bet those kayaks would be great to slide down that hill in...

:)
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

I hadn't even thought of that! But they aren't actually mine - they belong to my father in law who has just gone through a divorce, and is staying with us temporarily. (Although what he needs with 8 canoes/kayaks I don't know!)

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Were the kayaks part of the alimony? A bit cheaper than the hit that Phil Collins took recently for twenty million and that's his third hit..
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read