In the Wild West

Tell us about BXs you have spotted on the road, or BXs/parts spotted for sale including eBay finds.
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

Right chaps, lets all calm down ey :lol: I cant imagine much will happen this side of christmas anyway. Roger if you could make some inroads to what kinda money this chap wants and if he is willing to sell (weve all heard the I will restore them myself one day line). Plus theres the transportation costs, ferries and of course re-registering the Southern Irish plated ones thats if they havent been declared as scrap.

Remember theres a 1 19RD heading for the crusher in the UK that needs saving too that has been talked about but is still up for grabs.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper but if they are to be saved and I will be very much willing to muck in we need to get a plan togther.
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

It would be just as easy to go across to Francais and pick up a rust free car but obviousely it would be LHD,which doesnt bother me but might some.
They really need a reconnaissance visit to see if there worth saving or just good for parts.
They may not even be for sale or the owner may have some crazy idea of value.
Id love to save the Mk1,s whichever model,but they could be weetabix underneath by now.How long have they sat on there bellies on grass?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/153186963.htm?ca=19_s

Whats that work out at £80?
Looks reasonable to me?
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
RxBX
Over 2k

Post by RxBX »

richardd1652 wrote:..............Whats that work out at £80?
Looks reasonable to me?
Richard.
Also very low mile's 47,845 (77, 000 Km) !

(My 500th post, Only another 500 to Ik)

:D
RogerPorter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RogerPorter »

Yikes, this has created a bit more of a stir than i thought it would! :shock:

After the hysteria at the end of Page 2 i'm glad to read some wise words of calm from Tim and Richard. I have tried to contact the owner this week without success so far but will keep trying. The cars are his property and if he decides to keep them (or even scrap them!) that remains his choice and perogative irrespective of how much any of us think they ought to be saved. My opinion would be that most of the cars are beyond any economic return to the road and useful as spares sources only. I've seen them and we should realise how a photograph can flatter even the most unappealing subject.

The above is said not to dampen anybody's plans of a 'rescue mission', but just to add a touch of balance and realism to the thread. :)

Roger
1999 XM 2.1TD VSX Auto
1998 Xantia TD
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1990 XM 2.0Si
1985 2CV6 Special
1983 Visa Super E
1981 Dyane 6
RogerPorter
Confirmed BX'er

Post by RogerPorter »

I wanted to keep my previous thoughts seperate from this post but, as promised, here are a few more photos.

The GS Service van has good chrome and ........ well i think that's about it!

And the GT

1999 XM 2.1TD VSX Auto
1998 Xantia TD
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1990 XM 2.0Si
1985 2CV6 Special
1983 Visa Super E
1981 Dyane 6
richardd1652
1K Away

Post by richardd1652 »

It,ll take more than a rub with T-cut to sort that out! And thats only the bits you can see.God knows what the underside is like.
Richard.
1985 MK1 BX Digit
1986 MK1 BX Leader
1988 19RD
1983 Tin Snail
Tim Leech
Over 2k
My Cars: Various

Post by Tim Leech »

That GS is dead, the body on the GT looks ok, hope underneath is ok?
Lots of Motors, mostly semi broken....
kermit the frog
BXpert

Post by kermit the frog »

Can anyone find a location for this place,
maybe a post code etc the it can be looked up on google earth and see where it is and how difficult it is to get to.
Then a plan for the rescue mission can be made.

Regards Kermit / Phil
ALAN S an oracle of knowledge sadly missed by us all RIP Mate
Green Hornet well I don't really know.GS project gone to pastures new
Blue Streak 1996(P) XANTIA VSX TD (130K.)
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

It does seem strange that you all are getting excited about saving rusty wrecks like these when many fine looking examples like Barnsley's "Bergundy Beauty" have gone to the crusher requiring considerably less work for lack of takers.

Anything that has been parked for this length of time on grass will have significant lingering decay issues even when patched up (worse than the Hurricanes) so is it really viable?

If the "savers" are buying for themselves, renovating, and keeping until they are crushed then fair enough but if the intention is to renovate and ultimately sell on to unsuspecting others then best leave them finish their rotting where they are.
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I have to applaud the enthusiasm but I agree with Way2go, there have been far more practical projects in recent times, which have not been taken up ultimately to face scrapping. There are a couple of BXs that have been offered free to a good home I can think of...

Be under no illusion the cars will not be in anything like 'easily restored' state. If there are those out there willing to take on such projects, involving huge effort, then fine.... but just be realistic chaps!

Seems the lure of 'adventure' is strong though, and I fully understand that! (And the romantic notion of rescuing forlorn BXs is seductive - as I have recently discovered)...
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
jacksun1987
BXpert

Post by jacksun1987 »

If you guys are as good what you say you are. You can save any bx. Evern if it takes 5 years. Just do it bit by bit. No rush If i had the know how and the space. Ill love to get one of them beasts.
PAUL JACKSON
1991 h reg 1.7tzd hatch in black 159.000 miles had
1992 k reg 1.7 txd hatch in red 179. 000 miles had
Renaul laguna exspessin 02 plate 1.8 16v 75 k had
cosa 1.2 brezze 150 k had
406 glx 1.9 td 170k s reg white got
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

yeah, I *could* restore all of them, inside a couple of years, but at MASSIVE cost, and how much of the original car would be left by the time I'd finished them?

If they were worth a fortune then fair enough, worth the effort, but they aint the last of the breed, and we all know that whilst the odd car makes *good* money (say about £1K) not all do, and to get any of them road legal, reliable and not full of rot would cost considerably more than that.
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

I would have to reluctantly agree with most of the above statements, although if you really, really want a particular type of vehicle and can't find one anywhere else then it may be worth pursuing if you have the space & skills to carry the work out.

I'd still love to rescue that GS van, but you'd have to be careful just transporting it as I'd imagine it's REALLY rotten underneath. Chevronics can supply all the metalwork for replacing the floors & sills (although they are currently awaiting enough orders before getting another batch of front floors made), and the back end is all repairable with patience by letting in new metal. I know where I can get my hands on Australian import rear subframes & front undertrays, some GSA front doors that can be modified to GS spec, and I have a very good spare bonnet. Pattern front wings are available & the inners can again be repaired with patience. I may even be able to get my hands on a good tailgate!

If that list makes the van restoration look easy, then bear in mind that the parts included in that list will probably cost a big chunk of what the van would be worth on the road, and they don't include all the mechanical work that would be needed, any interior trim that may need finding, or painting the thing once all that welding has been done! To my mind it's still worth attempting as I believe there are only 4 or 5 GS & GSA vans in the UK, and most of them are LHD!

I'm still fairly new to the world of BX's (this time round), but from reading the comments here a couple of those cars could be rare enough to make it worthwhile for a dedicated enthusiast to restore for their own use, but they'd have to sure they want them just to make it worth bringing them over!
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

If you are restoring one of those mk1's as there aren't any viable one's available for any sort of money that i've seen recently, then i'd say it's worth doing. If you want to restore one & get a return back on your money, forget it as you could spend 2/3 times what it's actually worth. What might be worth thinking about is how much would a mk1 be worth in another 10-15 years? Perhaps the £2k+ investment now will pay off big style in the future & you'd also have the pleasure of owning a mk1 :D

I do hope that one or two can be saved, or at least used for spares to keep the few that currently exist on the road at the moment.

I wish anyone who makes any attempts the best of luck & look forward to reading more if anything does happen :D

I'd love a mk1, i'd even have a petrol one seeing as theres bugger all of them around these days. I just love the legostyle dash & the slightly purer lines, i think my fave is Todd's silver dream machine, me want one bad 8)
2002 C5 2.0 HDI Estate - Jasmine - Now SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - My daily
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired.
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

I'm not just a username, i'm also called Matthew.