My new toy!

A place for us to show off our cars in all their glory. Please keep picture sizes to about 800x600 pixels.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I used to go there everyday in a shitty little bus.
Hated the bus, love the place! My dogs are quite partial to Charterhouse just up the road aswell!
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
citsncycles
Over 2k

Post by citsncycles »

Sounds loke a plan! :D

I took the GS there earlier in the year on Drive It Day - it rained :roll:

You could even make a weekend of it as I believe there may be a campsite with a rally field on the edge of town.
Mike Sims
BX 19RD Estate Mk1 - Timex!
BX 4X4 Estate - Oh god, I've done it again!
BX 17RD MK1 - it called to me!
BX14 TGE, - SOLD
XM Turbo SD,GS Club Estate,Visa 17D Leader,HY Pickup,Dyane Nomad,Dyane 6,2CV AZL,Falcon S,Trabant P50,3x Land Rovers (88" series 1,109" series 2a FFR,series 2a Marshall ambulance),DKW F7, Lambretta LD150 x 1.5,Mobylette SP93,Ural Cossack,Ural M63,CZ 250 Sport,Honda Varadero 125,lots of bicycles & tricycles including (but not only) Sunbeams,Higgins & Bates!
Rich
BXpert

BX update

Post by Rich »

Right... Time for an update.

For the past few months the BX has been undertaking the daily grind of my commute to work and general second family car type thing and has never grumbled... Untill today when, after sitting idle and snow covered for over a week, the battery was as dead as a dead thing that has died.

However, I am getting ahead of myself... A couple of weeks ago my mate Chas Vacy-Ash and I got together with our BX's at our mutual friend (and fellow 2CV owner) Lisa's house (which has a lovely big pit in the garage :D ) to give them a very thorough Waxoiling.

I had every intention of taking loads of photo's but we ended up enjoying ourselves so much that this was the only one I took:

The only other thing I have done on mine is to replace the stone damaged Headlight and Indicator with spares I got from Curtis (Classic2cv).

And that's it... More to come when something happens :D
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
'92 TZD Hurricane (keeping it safe for a mate)
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

I was back at Lisa's today to service my BX:

Happyness is...

God only knows when the oil was last changed and combined with a life of short journeys, this was the state of the breather:

If you have never used a pit or a four post lift you don't know what you are missing... There's nothing like being able to drain the sump and replace the filter whilst standing up :)

And this is what the not-so-shiney bits look like now it has been waxoiled:

Hopefully it'll now shrug off the worst of the winter.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Oooh. Does (did? - there is no compressor now!) your car have A/C?

Only you have the A/C sump fitted...

1993 1.9 TZD Turbo Estate
1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

mat_fenwick wrote:Oooh. Does (did? - there is no compressor now!) your car have A/C?

Only you have the A/C sump fitted...
????

To my knowledge it has never had a/c fitted as there is no button on the dash... I can only assume that the sump has been swapped at some time over the last 22 years... Or it may have been fitted like that from new????
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Another busy afternoon today...

When I got the car one of the bulbs that illuminate the rev counter was not working. I put up with this while I sorted more important things. However, yesterday the other bulb gave up leaving the rev counter in the dark.

It took me 3 and a half hours, a couple of skinned knuckles and a dose of cramp to change 2 bulbs that cost 1.99 each. Why can't jobs like this be more straight forward :?

At least I have practiced some new swear words... Every cloud and all that.

The sodding culprit:

'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Those leeetle bleeders. :twisted: Ah well, done now. Probably to late to suggest LEDs? 8-[ :lol:
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

There's a fairly easy mod you can do so they operate only with sidelights (or sidelights and ignition) to increase bulb life. Makes it less likely to drive off at night with no lights in well lit areas too...

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Matt H
1K Away

Post by Matt H »

I can get a dash pod out and back in again in about 10 minutes, after many years of practice. Did it have the 2 impossible tiny bolts holding it in, or the much easier wing-nuts?

I've only done one pod that was held in with bolts, and I converted them to wing-nuts. Getting the bolts off is one story, but getting them back on again is quite another. Horrible job... :lol:
Defender110
Over 2k
My Cars: Land Rover Discovery Series 1 200tdi 3 door
Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5
2020 Fiat Panda cross 4x4 twin air.

Post by Defender110 »

mat_fenwick wrote:There's a fairly easy mod you can do so they operate only with sidelights (or sidelights and ignition) to increase bulb life. Makes it less likely to drive off at night with no lights in well lit areas too...
1/2 a tail Fenwick?????? we want to know more , sounds like a bloody good idea, especially the lights on reminder.
Kevan
1997 Mercedes C230 W202
2003 Land Rover Discovery Series 2 Facelift TD5 - Daily driver / hobby days and camping.
1993 Land Rover Discovery 200tdi Series 1 3 door - in need of TLC
2020 Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross Twin Air.
mat_fenwick

Post by mat_fenwick »

Just like to keep you hanging on... :lol:

All you need is a standard 4 terminal relay and a little bit of extra wire. If you remove the lower steering column shroud you can cut one of the wires leading to the dash lighting rheostat and connect one of the cut ends to terminal 87, the other to terminal 30 on the relay. Connect terminal 85 to an earth point, and terminal 86 to a sidelight feed - which you can handily tap into from the nearby 'lights on' beeper.

This will mean that you only get dash lights with ignition and sidelights switched on, which IMO is when you only need it.

1996 3.9 V8 Discovery
1993 VW LT35 campervan
1985 Hyundai Stellar V8
2016 Hyundai iLoad
Dollywobbler
Over 2k

Post by Dollywobbler »

Hi Rich - can't believe I've missed this thread! Hope it's coming along. I noticed back in November that Mr Vacy-Ash has nothing less than a TZD Evasion! (the white one sticking out of the garage above). Glad the BX-love is spreading...
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Matt H wrote:I can get a dash pod out and back in again in about 10 minutes, after many years of practice. Did it have the 2 impossible tiny bolts holding it in, or the much easier wing-nuts?

I've only done one pod that was held in with bolts, and I converted them to wing-nuts. Getting the bolts off is one story, but getting them back on again is quite another. Horrible job... :lol:

Hi Matt.

It's got wing nuts but the combination of never done that job before and the newly installed manual choke knob being in the way slowed things down.
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8
Rich
BXpert

Post by Rich »

Dollywobbler wrote:Hi Rich - can't believe I've missed this thread! Hope it's coming along. I noticed back in November that Mr Vacy-Ash has nothing less than a TZD Evasion! (the white one sticking out of the garage above). Glad the BX-love is spreading...
Hi Ian.

You could say that Chas is a bit of a BX convert.... He keeps going on about how much he likes it :D

Both mine and Chas' BX's are going on a bit of an adventure at the weekend.... We are raiding a certain 2CVGB event on Sunday up north.

Full report and pics next week. :D
'86 2CV Dolly
'81 2CV 007 Drummer
'82 HY Shorty
'77 Smurf blue Ami8